Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Translations of terms on a headstone.

• 27-10-2007 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

The following, in old Irish, appear on my grandparents' headstone:

At the top:

I ndil-chuimhe ar...

At the very bottom, below the their names and their deceased child who is also buried there.

Solas comhnaiteach na bhflaitheas da n-anamnacha.

the a in da is 'a fada'

I would be obliged for a translation please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭dranoel

I ndil-chuimhe ar...
    In loving memory of

Solas comhnaiteach na bhflaitheas da n-anamnacha.

Comhnaiteach has me stumped. It acts here as an adjective for the word light but I don't know what it means.
    May the [comhnaiteach] light of heaven shine on their souls.

If no-one else can help you here I'd suggest http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com

I stumbled across cuimhnitheach in my dictionary meaning memorial. Comhnaiteach could be a variant spelling.

If so, then I would translate the phrase to something like:
    May the light of heaven shine in memory of their souls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Many thanks; I will check the spellings again: my widowed aunt will be very pleased as she wants to use the same wording on her late husband's headstone.
    Thanks again

Glad to help, n-anamacha would need to changed to hanam for a single person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

dranoel wrote: »
    Glad to help, n-anamacha would need to changed to hanam for a single person
    Thanks for the heads up.

I took your advice and posted on the site you suggested, the first answer back was as you gave with a proviso that I wait for a second or 3rd opinion.

The headstone is in West Cork so perhaps there is a dialect issue with Comhnaiteach.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

I'm surprised just how close that first translation was to mine - in fact the choice of phrasing is absolutely identical which doesn't happen too often.

Cónaitheach which means constant has been given as an alternative and sounds more likely to me than memorial.

Advertisement