Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career choice.. looking for advice

Options
  • 16-02-2020 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I have worked in the catering industry since graduating from college in 2017. At the moment I’m working in a canteen of a major Pharmaceutical company. It’s handy hours, but that’s really the only benefit to be honest.

I am currently in the process of changing my career. I’m interested in the public sector and I’m applying for any entry level positions I’m qualified for in both the HSE and Public sector. (Civil service, Irish prison service, AGS etc.)

So this is the long term goal. I’m wondering what would be the best thing to do in the meantime, until I secure a job. (this could be 1/2/3/4+ years down the line.) I guess I’m looking for something that would benefit me in the future. I’m just abit lost in this aspect.

I considered trying to up-skill and get promoted in my current company, but that is not going to happen unfortunately. No chance..

What’s your thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I guess what I am asking is this: What would be the most sensible route to take, as it's an office role which interests me at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Make It Real

job seeker wrote: »
    I guess what I am asking is this: What would be the most sensible route to take, as it's an office role which interests me at present?

A few questions:

- For clarity, what is the job you want ultimately? Office job or something else?

- Is that job available somewhere right now, other than in the public sector?

- What would getting that job right now - or a stepping stone job on the way to it - give you?

- What would you need to give - training, working your way up from more junior roles etc - to get that job?

- What matters to you here?

One thing I've seen, both in my own journey and in working with people like you, is that there can be a powerful mindset shift when you realise that tomorrow actually starts right now!

There is no magic moment when you "become" something overnight. It's lots of little steps, many shades of grey and of becoming what you want to be, starting right now...

4+ years is a long time - use it wisely and don't stand still.

Hope this helps - let me know if you want more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

A few questions:

- For clarity, what is the job you want ultimately? Office job or something else?

- Is that job available somewhere right now, other than in the public sector?

- What would getting that job right now - or a stepping stone job on the way to it - give you?

- What would you need to give - training, working your way up from more junior roles etc - to get that job?

- What matters to you here?

One thing I've seen, both in my own journey and in working with people like you, is that there can be a powerful mindset shift when you realise that tomorrow actually starts right now!

There is no magic moment when you "become" something overnight. It's lots of little steps, many shades of grey and of becoming what you want to be, starting right now...

4+ years is a long time - use it wisely and don't stand still.

Hope this helps - let me know if you want more!

Thank you for the reply! I really appreciate it!

- ultimately it is an office job. Ultimately in the public sector. For not I would be interests in working in an office job which enables my to upskill and improve my IT skills. I need to look into it better however I was looking at roles like data entry, admin assistant, clerical officer things like that.

- With the pandemic and everything, I am not so sure. I assume that jobs of any description will be hard to come by.

-I suppose it would make me feel that I am making progress to where I would eventually like to be. I also think that the fear comes for the unknown. I am currently in a job where I am so comfortable and it isn't leading anywhere or it won't. The fear then kicks in and I start doubting myself and second guessing. This then leads to me being afraid to make that jump.

- I would be open to on the job training and working my way up, given the correct job! I guess I need to pin point what that job is first.

- What matters, is ultimately leaving a job I hate. I want to get a job which I look forward to, or least one I don't mind getting up for in the morning. I am quite good on a computer, not amazing. So I do have that interest in using these skills in the job. The first step is making a list of potential jobs which I consider interesting and work from there.

This is totally true. I think I have wasted so much time already up to this point waiting for a job that I don't even know myself. That is the main issue I think. Thank you so much for the advice. It's greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Make It Real

Some great, honest answers there - fair play!

I work a lot with people looking to change job or career. Like you, very often they know where they are isn't right and they know they want more. Its great to be clear on that and its a good place to start from.

But then:

- What is the right direction? I'm hearing two voices from you. One says you know exactly what the right job is, the other says you don't know! What if you explored what you want in life and work? See what various jobs give you towards that?

- How to get to the right job? The doubts, fears about change etc. How can you really believe in where you want to go? How can you get really clear on the important things it would give you? Once that is clear, it all gets much easier and you can take small practical steps, get some little wins and start building up speed.

Hope there's something there for you and let me know if I can help you any further. :)

Advertisement