Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Tank Level Monitor

Options
  • 24-04-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had any success with a digital, or smart (preferably) oil tank level monitoring system?

Any tips would be hugely appreciated.

Regards,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

I use the end of the broom!

Quick and easy.

Are you trying to figure out how much you are using? Or just want to ensure you order in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had any success with a digital, or smart (preferably) oil tank level monitoring system?

Any tips would be hugely appreciated.

Regards,

P.

I use Oilpal - I find it good and fairly accurate

https://dunravensystems.com/oilpal/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Tweaky wrote: »

I have oilpal, and to be honest, yes it PR idea usage and fuel level info, but beyond that is quite limited. The main limitation is alerts etc (theft, leak, sudden drop, low level) are sent via email and not some form of push. Notification.

Not much point in getting an email to say your tank has been drained due to leak or theft . A serious miss in the way the system is designed in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah, OilPal sounds like it's down the road of what I'd be interested in alright.

I mean it's not the biggest thing in the world and it's down my list of priorities, but at the same time I thought at this day and age there would be something pretty smart available that could say link in with Home Asssitant for example to give data on the level etc. Of course broom handles work, but I thought that given some of the smart stuff available for houses at this stage, oil tank information would be pretty easy!

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Tweaky wrote: »

Use the same here, linked to my Home assistant, I find it useful as i can accurately order a delivery of oil, say when the tank hits 220 liters i can order 700.

It only gives a fairly general calculation based on the dimensions, and the drop from the top of the tank ( ultrasonic reader ) in fact, i think the App gives an automatic negative 10% figure, where as with HA, you scrape the data, and calculate what would be the real figure.

Either way, handy to have. saves a few euro.

• Advertisement

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    Use the same here, linked to my Home assistant, I find it useful as i can accurately order a delivery of oil, say when the tank hits 220 liters i can order 700.

It only gives a fairly general calculation based on the dimensions, and the drop from the top of the tank ( ultrasonic reader ) in fact, i think the App gives an automatic negative 10% figure, where as with HA, you scrape the data, and calculate what would be the real figure.

Either way, handy to have. saves a few euro.

Hi there,

Ok that's interesting that you've got it to work with HA, which is key for me going forward with any home smart tech. Did that take much work to integrate?

Secondly, does anyone have a guide as to how much this system costs to have?

Thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Hi there,

Ok that's interesting that you've got it to work with HA, which is key for me going forward with any home smart tech. Did that take much work to integrate?

Thanks

Paul

If i recall, there's a template you can apply in your Ha config in which you provide the static ip for the internal 'modem' part of the unit.
    It's all very rudimentary, it uses a web scrape to grab the numbers from the said modem / webserver and calculates the figure off that.

Nothing fancy or difficult what so ever about it.

In terms of cost, initial purchase, and power for internal modem/webserver i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

Hi there,

Thanks

Paul

Another option if you're using HA and dont want the cost of oilpal and a cloud service. Depends on if you have wifi near your tank but you can use an ESP32 board and ultrasonic sensor (suitable for outdoors) for < €20. Works very reliably. 3 jumper wires and a bit of preconfigured code to cut / paste. No big hassle to setup if you've already got HA going.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

fergalom wrote: »
    Another option if you're using HA and dont want the cost of oilpal and a cloud service. Depends on if you have wifi near your tank but you can use an ESP32 board and ultrasonic sensor (suitable for outdoors) for < €20. Works very reliably. 3 jumper wires and a bit of preconfigured code to cut / paste. No big hassle to setup if you've already got HA going.

Would you have any guides on such a project? Thanks.

Would you have any guides on such a project? Thanks.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/oil-tank-level-sensor/96809

Can share links on items I bought + couple of pics if you like. Have had it in over a year and never missed a beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Most people's tanks are away from the main house. Any problems connecting to wifi? My tank is at the other side of my garage .Not a hope would with wifi connection.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/oil-tank-level-sensor/96809

Can share links on items I bought + couple of pics if you like. Have had it in over a year and never missed a beat.

Would also love a few pics & links to this one please, as this looks absolutely perfect for me and what I'm looking to achieve.

Thanks a mill.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

I use an Arduino board as described above with an ultrasonic sensor. Its attached to an LCD display so I just uploaded the code and it runs away plugged into a wall socket ( running great this past 2 years). Do not use WiFi. No good to try and monitor theft but great to give a reading for current oil level.

codie wrote: »
    Most people's tanks are away from the main house. Any problems connecting to wifi? My tank is at the other side of my garage .Not a hope would with wifi connection.

You can get esp32 in multiple configurations, ethernet Poe or rf433mhz etc. I have no issues but as you said, depends your location

Tried using the esp32 with home assistant. My head's melted. No joy getting it to work. I'll give it another shot 2m.

Have a look here also:https://www.rogerfrost.com/oil-tank-level-sensor-also-water-softener-salt-level/

Would also love a few pics & links to this one please, as this looks absolutely perfect for me and what I'm looking to achieve.

Thanks a mill.

P.

Links:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071JR9WS9/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_cfDSEb9N8W5FE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076SWF5FV/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_NgDSEbK3AXX5P

After that, 3 jumper wires, a junction box to mount in and usb cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Oilfox is supposed to be very good.

https://oilfox.io/?lang=en

Unfortunately, it requires cloud access to work.

/M

Amazing, thank you. I assume that board as WiFi built in?

Secondly, did you just follow the exact script on that HA post, assuming you had to modify the dimension calculation to suit your tank?

Amazing, thank you. I assume that board as WiFi built in?

Secondly, did you just follow the exact script on that HA post, assuming you had to modify the dimension calculation to suit your tank?

Yes, wifi and bt builtin.

I modified it for my tank and its accuracy is ok for my purposes.
    measure distance from bottom of tank and 100% full to sensor is all thats needed if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I just looked that up. Your setup will also do MQTT and seemingly also has been integrated into OpenHAB by some already.

https://community.openhab.org/t/esphome/71765/11

Brilliant. I guess, that's another thing on the todo list.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Tried using the esp32 with home assistant. My head's melted. No joy getting it to work. I'll give it another shot 2m.

Have a look here also:https://www.rogerfrost.com/oil-tank-level-sensor-also-water-softener-salt-level/

I'm working on similar at the moment and just got it working. Did you manage to figure it out yourself?

emaherx wrote: »
    I'm working on similar at the moment and just got it working. Did you manage to figure it out yourself?

Yes got it sorted in the end, just persisted with trial and error.

Here is mine,
    I went with the linear calibration method.

49912174041_28a7602335_z.jpgoil gauges by Emaherx, on Flickr
    # Ultrasonic sensor - tank measurement
    sensor:
      - platform: ultrasonic
        id: sensor_cm1
        trigger_pin: GPIO15
        echo_pin: GPIO16
        name: "Oil Ultrasonic Sensor"
        icon: "mdi: arrow"
        update_interval: 10s
        accuracy_decimals: 2
        unit_of_measurement: "cm"
        filters:
         - filter_out: nan
         - multiply: 100
         #- sliding_window_moving_average:
          #   window_size: 12
           #  send_every: 12

# Oil Level Sensor
      - platform: template
        id: sensor_cm2
        name: "Oil Level"
        icon: "mdi: arrow"
        unit_of_measurement: "cm"
        lambda: 
          return 120 - id (sensor_cm1) .state;

# Oil Percentage Sensor
        name: "Oil Percentage"
        icon: "mdi: water"
        unit_of_measurement: "%"
        lambda: 
          return id (sensor_cm2) .state;
        filters:
          - calibrate_linear:
            - 0 -> 0
            - 110 -> 100

# Oil Litres Sensor
        name: "Oil Litres"
        icon: "mdi: oil"
        accuracy_decimals: 0
        unit_of_measurement: "L"
        lambda: 
          return id (sensor_cm2) .state;
        filters:
          - calibrate_linear:
            - 0 -> 0
            - 110 -> 1300

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Delboy5 wrote: »

Does this just take the place of the cap?

I got an oil pal but then chickened out on boring a hole in the top of my tank.

Does this just take the place of the cap?

I got an oil pal but then chickened out on boring a hole in the top of my tank.

No, instructions show drilling hole in tank.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I had 1 of the old school yokes that you plugged into the socket, I think most oil tanks have the hole put in for where to put the sensors. Personally I've the handle of a brush left beside the tank I use every 6 months or so to see if I need oil or not.

Clareman wrote: »
    I had 1 of the old school yokes that you plugged into the socket, I think most oil tanks have the hole put in for where to put the sensors. Personally I've the handle of a brush left beside the tank I use every 6 months or so to see if I need oil or not.

It's crude and I'm sure it works, but I'm not sure it falls under home automation though :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've being toying with the idea of getting rid of the oil completely, I've a couple of Dyson heaters in the house and I'm thinking of changing to storage heaters, especially as the price of oil keeps going up and up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Clareman wrote: »
    I've being toying with the idea of getting rid of the oil completely, I've a couple of Dyson heaters in the house and I'm thinking of changing to storage heaters, especially as the price of oil keeps going up and up.

I assume you're joking? #confused

Advertisement