Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/5 (Social Rugby) Season 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Heard Seapoint are fielding an under 23 side in Div 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I don't like U23 teams, they have far too much energy on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

GavMan wrote: »
    Heard Seapoint are fielding an under 23 side in Div 8

I meant to update this - yeah, it looks like that's the case, although I think that there will be a good few J4/J5 players from the current squad involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Oh joy, a whole team of people half my age to chase around the pitch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ugh, they'll probably know how to pass the ball too, and tackle. Show offs.

• Advertisement

I really doubt it's going to be a full squad of youngsters.

Mary's did that well last year in Div 10 a good blend of young lads, with a few experienced players, to bring them along. Surprised they aren't going into Div 10 as a development team though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Eoin wrote: »
    I really doubt it's going to be a full squad of youngsters.

I really HOPE it's not going to be a full squad of youngsters.

Malahide's second pre season friendly tomorrow verses Clontarf at home.

Personally I think Div 10 should be for people relatively new to the game, rather than fellas in their early 20s who've played a good bit before.

Yeah. Played div10 last year (or 11, can't remember) and I found it relatively a good mix of players, young and old, but the younger players were generally new to the sport. I didn't see any development type players, and I think they'd have a field day if they did.

In the Cup we saw something like that, and they were like Harlem Globetrotters against us.

• Advertisement

Personally I think Div 10 should be for people relatively new to the game, rather than fellas in their early 20s who've played a good bit before.

I suppose it depends on what way you look at it, there is still a fair step up coming from 20's to junior rugby, regarding if you have played all the way through schools/underage. A season in division 10, for those who are never really going to go much higher than Div 4 or 5 in their career, it might not a bad thing.

That's true; and I guess once the players find their level and it's not just a blatant ploy to get silverware, then it's fine (and I definitely don't think that's the case with us for a couple of reasons).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Playing Seapoint tomorrow so will let you know what they are like

Are you Unidare? I'll be there too.

Are you Unidare? I'll be there too.

Yeah. Well Ravens since the name change

Cool, I'll be there watching tomorrow. That's the same Seapoint J4 team from last year, not the new one that's been entered.

Just finished my first friendly of the season. Black and blue but it was great craic. Defo amazing the difference having a season under your belt makes in terms of fitness. Roll on this season.

Nice one, who were you playing? We had a training match last week against each other so a mix of J2 - J5. We done 3 sets of 20 minutes which was probably just enough. Playing Mary's tomorrow so looking forward to that, I'm sure I'll be sore on Sunday.

We just played ourselves. One squad of established players and golden oldies vs the noobs. I got through 60 min and had no issues with fitness but need to get used to contact work again tho, fairly stiff!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭devolution

Teferi, get back in off the wing & into the pack where you belong, your interrupting our showboating!!!

• Advertisement

devolution wrote: »
    Teferi, get back in off the wing & into the pack where you belong, your interrupting our showboating!!!

I was born to be a winger.

Ground was too hard for the proper studs. Feet are cut off me.

Yeah tried to go back to studs there last week and my feet suffered from it. Played a match in mouldies last night and had no issues.

Really don't know how some of the forwards run around on that ground with 8 long studs. Must be doing some damage to your joints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah tried to go back to studs there last week and my feet suffered from it. Played a match in mouldies last night and had no issues.

Really don't know how some of the forwards run around on that ground with 8 long studs. Must be doing some damage to your joints.

Mouldies were enough today to play in and I am front row. No issues with grip.

chris85 wrote: »
    Mouldies were enough today to play in and I am front row. No issues with grip.

How'd that friendly go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

How'd that friendly go?

A win which was good. Very warm today and a bit of sunburn to prove it. Scrum went ok most of time and lineout functioned well I think with a few steals on both platforms. First game for me this season so happy to get full game in to be honest. Malahide were good today, tough pack and some good runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

chris85 wrote: »
    A win which was good. Very warm today and a bit of sunburn to prove it. Scrum went ok most of time and lineout functioned well I think with a few steals on both platforms. First game for me this season so happy to get full game in to be honest. Malahide were good today, tough pack and some good runners.

Very familiar looking lad playing for malahide. I think the lads let him score, twice, in the hope that he'd realise he made a silly decision and come back to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ha. I was on his shoulder for his first and there was no way he was going to offload for that!

Feels like the knee is gonna take longer to get used to playing than I thought. Haven't been able to squat or push off it since Saturday. Hopefully it isn't like this after every match...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Feels like the knee is gonna take longer to get used to playing than I thought. Haven't been able to squat or push off it since Saturday. Hopefully it isn't like this after every match...

it gradually eases up. done both knees and its the twisting and so forth that you can't really replicate in rehab.

My physio had be stand one legged on a rugby ball so the knee had the stress of the leg constantly readjusting to not fall off which helped... maybe not if sore though!

First match always hurts more than any other match, just the way it goes.

stephen_n wrote: »
    First match always hurts more than any other match, just the way it goes.

Yeah that's it I hope. First match last season my old ankle injury (held together by a plate!) flared up but never gave too much issue after that.

This is my first match after fracturing my knee despite months rehab and conditioning in the gym... but yeah, nothing really replaces 60 minutes of twisting and turning and knocking the knee.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Balancing on one foot with your eyes closed helps work on your balance, but it'd probably get a bit of movement into the knee too.

dregin wrote: »
    Balancing on one foot with your eyes closed helps work on your balance, but it'd probably get a bit of movement into the knee too.

Yeah I do that as part of my rehab, and single leg squats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Played 20 mins yesterday against the guards and stiff as fcuk today. Nice set up out there in westmanstown.

• Advertisement

Someone was a silly boy and tried to do some training and sprinting on their bad knee last night.

Now said silly boy is crying into a pack of nurofen.

Someone was a silly boy and tried to do some training and sprinting on their bad knee last night.

Now said silly boy is crying into a pack of nurofen.

you looked like you were suffering after the 4th set. Did you train on?

cloneslad wrote: »
    you looked like you were suffering after the 4th set. Did you train on?

Just did some passing drills. Tried to do sprints at the end and then pulled up, thought it'd be okay if I wasn't pushing through it but there you go, I'm obviously not a physio. Tendon is in bits today. Few days of ice n' nurofen should sort it tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

All divisions are up on Leinster website now
    All divisions to start September 27th or October 4th

All divisions are up on Leinster website now
    All divisions to start September 27th or October 4th

The domestic section of the LR site sucks. Are they up on the sportsmanager site yet?

EDIT: Yes. http://sportsmanager.ie/cake/rugby/leinsterNew/upcomingFixtures

• Advertisement

Ugh. 'Metro' league by name only. We have Normans, De La Salle, Barnhall, Clondalkin and Stillorgan in our league. So much for using the ol' bike to get to games.

Ugh. 'Metro' league by name only. We have Normans, De La Salle, Barnhall, Clondalkin and Stillorgan in our league. So much for using the ol' bike to get to games.

Well you have Suttonians and the Warriors, that's six near home games for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Normans are in feckin' Kilkenny! Bloody hell, I though Maynooth was bad initially.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Normans are in feckin' Kilkenny! Bloody hell, I though Maynooth was bad initially.

It's only really about 1hr 15mins from Clontarf.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Have you driven it before? took us WELL over 2 hours to get down there a couple of seasons ago. The Normans lads are really sound though. Was a great trip.

We played them a few years ago, we met up at 10am, or something ridiculous like that, for a 2pm kick off. We had to go to a pub to kill time because we got there so early.

The new road down makes it less than an hour from Dublin (M50)

Was Miss Daisy in the car with you?

Well you have Suttonians and the Warriors, that's six near home games for you :)

I honestly have no idea what squad I'll be in, but I imagine I'll be in our j6 squad, atleast until I get the leg back to full strength, so no suttonians or warriors for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well about an hour and a half anyway. Then you have to factor in the travel to Clontarf for those of us who don't live there. For me that's at least 30 mins. So its at least 2 hours travel time there and the same again on the way back, if not more. That's a complete pain in the arse in fairness.

Ah yeah but you wouldn't bother going to the club first if you were closer.... Unless you were stuck for lift...

• Advertisement
Advertisement