Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/5 (Social Rugby) Season 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Does anyone know then the fixtures will be out? Can't wait to see if I'll have the opportunity to run over some of you lot ;)

Usually this site has them up, but I'd imagine the fixtures haven't been finalized yet. Hopefully the branch is arranging them around any provincial fixtures.

http://sportsmanager.ie/cake/rugby/leinsterNew/league/71079/division6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

.ak wrote: »
    Usually this site has them up, but I'd imagine the fixtures haven't been finalized yet. Hopefully the branch is arranging them around any provincial fixtures.

http://sportsmanager.ie/cake/rugby/leinsterNew/league/71079/division6

Cheers mate, I always manage to lose that link.

• Administrators Posts: 54,107 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Think I've asked this before but do people go and watch like Division 6 games, other than family of the players?

Nah, few times you might get some old blighter turn up who's just a rugby fantatic, and will spend the 80 min shout abusing at the ref.

Although if it's a play off or near the end of the season or if there's something else going on at the club you might get a few extra. We got a big crowd at one of our games because there was a cricket match and the weather was deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yeah, basically friends/family and people related to the team in some way (former players, coaches etc.). If there is something on in the club then you'll get a few extra. You'd normally get a bigger crowd during the business end of the season if you're in contention for a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Question for the wingers out there. If you have a primary leg you step off, do you prefer to play on that side of the pitch? i.e; if you step off your right mostly, do you like to play on the right side of the pitch to step back inside? Or would you prefer to play on the left to step outside the man.
    It depends on your strength or speed and What's better in your game.
    When I played on the wing I played both depending on who turned who etc. On quite a few occasions I moved from playing 2nd row/back row to wing in 1 game....
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Does anyone know then the fixtures will be out? Can't wait to see if I'll have the opportunity to run over some of you lot ;)
    Should be the next week or two. Divisions 1-6 have been made so shouldn't be too long before rest are released

awec wrote: »
    Think I've asked this before but do people go and watch like Division 6 games, other than family of the players?
    Yeah but will depend on who and when they are playing. If division 6/7/8 games are being played before/after a clubs AIL game then you will have people who came to watch seniors also watching 3rds/4ths/5ths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

We (tallaght) get 20 or 30 people to the home games. Generally it's ex players, and friends and family. Still a decent crowd though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

cloneslad wrote: »
    Are you trying to avoid tackles?? we want you to go through people this year.

Little people can't run through people, surely you have learned that by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

stephen_n wrote: »

Ah in fairness to cloneslad he was able to clean some person out of it last week in tag though. Not far off there am I? I am sure this will translate into full contact.

• Advertisement

AK as a winger you should always be looking to go outside, so if you step off your right foot the left is a better option or vice versa, nothings set in stone but if you're going to step back inside chances are you're going to have to ride a covering tackle so would be more suited to bigger/stronger wingers. I always step to the right, so had a marked preference for the right wing, on the rare occasions I got stuck out there!

Interesting. I wouldn't be the quickest (at all) so I generally prefer to take contact and try and break it rather than step outside the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

chris85 wrote: »
    Ah in fairness to cloneslad he was able to clean some person out of it last week in tag though. Not far off there am I? I am sure this will translate into full contact.

I was a man on a mission, I wasn't going to be stopped, I could see the try line and knew if I put my head down, tucked the ball under my arm (I wasn't passing to anyone), ran as fast as I could, and dropped my shoulder hard upon contact, that I could get over the try line.

I can't understand why the ref gave me a yellow card. That GIRL could have gotten out of the way if she wanted :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

awec wrote: »

Club heads and the provincial scouts checking for players falling through the gaps.

Out of curiosity, when do Clontarf J5's train? I've a friend living up that direction who has never played and is thinking of giving it a go.

AK as a winger you should always be looking to go outside, so if you step off your right foot the left is a better option or vice versa, nothings set in stone but if you're going to step back inside chances are you're going to have to ride a covering tackle so would be more suited to bigger/stronger wingers. I always step to the right, so had a marked preference for the right wing, on the rare occasions I got stuck out there!

Depends. If you're 2 metres from the touchline, I wouldn't be looking to head that way.

P.S. You always step off the left? Your card is marked now.

gaius c wrote: »
    Club heads and the provincial scouts checking for players falling through the gaps.

Out of curiosity, when do Clontarf J5's train? I've a friend living up that direction who has never played and is thinking of giving it a go.

Mondays and Wednesdays 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'm er, asking for a friend!

Anyway I'll go through people when you learn to pass a ball. ;)

"makes note to run every ball a crash ball on your wing" this season.

gaius c wrote: »
    Depends. If you're 2 metres from the touchline, I wouldn't be looking to head that way.

P.S. You always step off the left? Your card is marked now.

In fairness if you try to step 2 metres out, you should be carrying the water lol

I don't step that often, the shortest distance between me and the try line is a straight line :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

salmocab wrote: »
    Where are the all weather pitches?

up in benildus grounds on their pitches. played there on tuesdays after christmas last season and was great.

• Advertisement

Still can't do 5 real push ups :o

Still can't do 5 real push ups :o

Don't drop any balls at training then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paul440

AIB RFC are currently preparing for the upcoming season and we are actively looking for new players!

AIB Dublin Rugby Football Club is a competitive team with a strong social focus. We currently play in Leinster Metro league and are committed to providing a full and rewarding rugby experience for players of all skill and experience levels.
    AIB RFC is an open membership club, registered with the Leinster branch of the IRFU, and involvement is open to all!

Pre-season runs August/September in Herbert Park/Booterstown Park at 6:30 pm on Monday and Wednesdays. Sessions are run by IRFU trained coaches.
    Regular season training takes place in Monkstown RFC on Monday and Wednesdays at 6.30pm
    Matches: Saturday afternoons from September with home games in DCU.

Please PM me if interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

playing my last match of rugby on Sat, in the Tallaght 1st v Tallaght Legends game, looking forward to it should be a good day with the leinster match on later that day

Holy Jesus... Insects 17, ak nil. Got absolutely destroyed last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Holy Jesus... Insects 17, ak nil. Got absolutely destroyed last night.

I hear one of them even tip tackled you

• Advertisement

It was a very large mossie and I was off balance okay??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Assume league schedule hasn't been released yet?

shoutman wrote: »
    Assume league schedule hasn't been released yet?
    Fixtures and groups in process of being scheduled. Keep checking Leinster website for fixtures..

Within a week apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think a few moves in the leagues has happened, not positive but think the DLSP div 8 team which just lost out on promotion are going up to div 7 anyway, I presume that means someone dropped out above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 drzac

Clontarf just had a friendly cancelled for next saturday (13th)
    need to arrange a new fixture
    will be a mix of our J4 / J5s (div6 & 10)
    any takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

drzac wrote: »
    Clontarf just had a friendly cancelled for next saturday (13th)
    need to arrange a new fixture
    will be a mix of our J4 / J5s (div6 & 10)
    any takers?

identify yourself........(crypitcally) hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭devolution

Metro League - Division 8

A.I.B
    Blackrock College
    Clondalkin
    Greystones
    Malahide
    NUIM Barnhall
    Seapoint
    Stillorgan
    Terenure College RFC
    UCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Seapoint got promoted last year; are you sure about that?

Edit: Seapoint are listed in both Div 7 and 8. That could be a bit tiring for us.

Wonder will they leave division 8 a team light then or bring one up from 9 or is it just a typo.

I heard a few weeks ago that Seapoint were entering an extra team this season

I heard a few weeks ago that Seapoint were entering an extra team this season

Presumably Eoin would know the answer to that one.

Presumably Eoin would know the answer to that one.

Not sure where the numbers would come from - it's not as if we had 2 squads worth of players last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Wonder will they leave division 8 a team light then or bring one up from 9 or is it just a typo.

10 teams in div 8 this year

Eoin wrote: »
    Not sure where the numbers would come from - it's not as if we had 2 squads worth of players last year.
    Is this not something you'd have heard about if it was happening though?
    10 teams in div 8 this year
    there are ten teams listed including Seapoint though, so if Seapoint are actually in div 7, then an extra team will have to come from somewhere.

• Advertisement

Is this not something you'd have heard about if it was happening though?

No, the club wouldn't really care if we had enough for 2 squads; we're largely left to fend for ourselves. But looking at our website, there is now a J5 team listed, so I think this is a development squad of young players.

So it doesn't sound like a typo anyway.

No, the club wouldn't really care if we had enough for 2 squads; we're largely left to fend for ourselves. But looking at our website, there is now a J5 team listed, so I think this is a development squad of young players.

So it doesn't sound like a typo anyway.

J5 is Div 10 or 11 though, I hope they don't pitch a development team into Div8 it would be very unfair on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

devolution wrote: »
    Metro League - Division 8

A.I.B
    Blackrock College
    Clondalkin
    Greystones
    Malahide
    NUIM Barnhall
    Seapoint
    Stillorgan
    Terenure College RFC
    UCD

Go on Malahide, big season for us up a division. No more far away trips at least!

Winters wrote: »
    Go on Malahide, big season for us up a division. No more far away trips at least!

Greystones to Malahide is a fair treck :)

J5 is Div 10 or 11 though, I hope they don't pitch a development team into Div8 it would be very unfair on them.

I think that they're only calling it that out of habit, and Div 8 is correct. When I get my arse back down training, I'll know more.

I think that they're only calling it that out of habit, and Div 8 is correct. When I get my arse back down training, I'll know more.

Will you be on the Div 8 team, I'm assuming that will be the team I'm subbing for with Greystones this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Greystones to Malahide is a fair treck :)

Closer than Wexford and Gorey at least. And ye are first up away. Look forward to it.

Did Seapoint have a 20s team last year maybe the development team is to keep a group together or even instead of a 20s team as they mightn't have enough to field at 20s, just guessing here. Would be a kick in the nads if you were on the team that got promoted and then the development team took that spot and you ended up in div 8 again.

Winters wrote: »
    Closer than Wexford and Gorey at least. And ye are first up away. Look forward to it.

See that there, might have actually got my ass in gear and sorted out the transfer by then lol

• Advertisement

Will you be on the Div 8 team, I'm assuming that will be the team I'm subbing for with Greystones this year :)

I don't know! There's a bit of competition for places, and I'm not getting any younger. Or slimmer.
    Did Seapoint have a 20s team last year maybe the development team is to keep a group together or even instead of a 20s team as they mightn't have enough to field at 20s, just guessing here. Would be a kick in the nads if you were on the team that got promoted and then the development team took that spot and you ended up in div 8 again.

I think it could be something like that - maybe what would be an under 23s team or something like that.

Agreed, it'd be very unfair to keep the team that won at the same level to parachute another team in; though if they were put in at a higher level again (J2/J3), it would be fair enough.

I should know more next week.

Advertisement