Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J4/5 (Social Rugby) Season 2014/2015

Options
  • 24-07-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

Top 3 Metro Divisions and fixtures are up on line. The j4/5 divisions probably will be another few weeks.
    Many teams back training?
    Division 1
    Terenure, Old Belvedere, UCD, NUIM Barnhall, St Marys, Lansdowne, Trinity, Clontarf
    Division 2
    Seapoint, Wanderers, Old Wesley, St Marys, Naas, Greystones, Boyne, Blackrock
    Division 3
    Old Belvedere, Navan, Tullamore, DLSP, Lansdowne, Stillorglin, Clontarf, Bective Rangers

MOD NOTE: Pimping your teams/clubs is allowed here but only here. Includes all Junior teams from J1 down (though they generally look after themselves).

No posting of email addresses or phone numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Think Clontarf Social rugby normally doesn't start back until middle to late august.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah that's not strictly true.... Teferi and stephen post here too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ha! Our club has been playing tipper all summer but I've just turned up to my first session as I was playing American Football for May - July. Conditioning starts next week I think.

American football? Seems to be getting more popular these days. Any use in terms of fitness?

Just back running properly this week. Fitness I thought would be a lot worse considering I've been off my feet since March, but buying a bike seems to have helped a little. Still, the stiffness/soreness the day after running was pretty evident.. also having to break the feet into it again! Blisters ahoy...

.ak wrote: »
    American football? Seems to be getting more popular these days. Any use in terms of fitness?

Awful for any type of cardio but decent for the physical side of rugby, plenty of strength and wrestling type of drills. Fairly dangerous sport too, loads of lads tackling straight with their heads. I've never felt in danger on a rugby pitch, totally different story in football - if you finished a game without anyone in hospital then that was a good day out. I've retired from it now, one season wonder.

• Advertisement

Just getting back into the running by playing tip, and the worst thing I reckon about being injured since March is the fact I have to break my feet in again. I forgot how annoying it is. Massive blisters on both feet. Really need to invest in a pair of mouldies, although I think it's just a case of getting your feet to harden up anyway.

Clontarf social starts on the 11th... Hope the feet have their callouses by then!

Have you tried the old 4-pairs-of-ankle-socks-under-rugby-socks trick? Works for me when I have to break the feet in again.

Ha, no. I just tried the half a tub of Vaseline trick. Probably doesn't help my socks are probably too big also... Canterbury are liars when it comes to sizes, always go a size smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Ha, no. I just tried the half a tub of Vaseline trick. Probably doesn't help my socks are probably too big also... Canterbury are liars when it comes to sizes, always go a size smaller.

Never had this issue.

j'accuse that it is in fact you who is lying too yourself about your foot size

7-11 (large) is very vague imo. :P

I picked up a pair of medium a while ago and they were a much better fit, but all my shoes are an 8.

I also find any of their measurements for 'small' are way too big. I guess most of their stuff is tailored for big Kiwi lads. You ordered something for a 32" waist and you end up swimming in it. Extra small or youths is what I generally have to pick up.

But their gear is lovely and stands the tests of time and wear and tear on a training pitch, so worth the fiddling around with sizes.

• Advertisement

But their gear is lovely and stands the tests of time and wear and tear on a training pitch, so worth the fiddling around with sizes.

You're not wrong. A lad I know still has shorts on the go that he got when he was 16 and he is in his early 30's now. By the looks of them they were once black but they are sort of an off-white colour by this stage.

I'm tempted to take up full contact rugby again after reading this thread and doing a summer of tag. Literally haven't played since school

I'm tempted to take up full contact rugby again after reading this thread and doing a summer of tag. Literally haven't played since school

Get on it man. If you can play tag to a semi-decent level you're there already. I'm pretty poor as I've only started playing again last year, but I find the contact part the easiest, once you get your technique right. I find the running the hardest - it took me a good full season to get up to speed, literally. Learning how to be effective at full sprint, be balanced, or be powerful over a short distance takes a long time, but if you've been playing tag chances are you're already there.

The complexities makes it a far more interesting game to play as well.. You rarely have two games alike from a personal point of view.

I like tag, tip etc.. but I do find it boring after a while, whilst with rugby you'll still be learning little things as you go on.

Training with a club is also a great way to boost the fitness. Couple that with some gym work and you've got a great routine down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

CYM, who are the best team in Terenure, will be fielding a team in Metro Division 5 for the new season along with...
    • CYM 1st
    • Guinness 1st
    • Malahide 2nd
    • Greystones 3rd
    • NUIM Barnhall 3rd
    • UCD 3rd
    • Wanderers 3rd
    • Terenure College 4th

Most of these games will be played under lights on Friday's when possible.

And in a shameless pimp job, I am happy to announce that we are recruiting new players of all abilities and genders; we plan to field a seconds team while our woman's team went undefeated in winning a league and cup double.

Pre season has begun already, please PM me for more details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So I assume all divisions are decided in some manner at this stage?
    Will they be up on the leinster website any time soon?

So I assume all divisions are decided in some manner at this stage?
    Will they be up on the leinster website any time soon?

Coming days so I'm told. There are still some gaps to be filled especially for the bottom two sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Unfortunately or fortunately I will be playing in a Spanish league for the next season but will be keeping a keen eye on this forum..... I'm gonna miss it to be fair!
    Good luck in the coming year to all teams and hope the injuries aren't so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 chapster

Wanderers Junior Squad begin pre-season on Wednesday 6 August and every Monday and Wednesday thereafter.

We will have two teams, one competing in Division 5 (Old J3) and one in Division 6 (old J4).

We welcome all players, whether you have lots of experience, are returning to the game after a while out or are a complete beginner.

We have a great group of guys with players from all around the globe, France, Australia, USA and Hong Kong to name a few. We also have plenty of players from all over Ireland.

If you are interested in playing or would like more information please email PM me or come to training, where you will be made welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Must get my finger out and sort out moving back to stones! Going to be weird going home after 6 years with the warriors. Doing a fair bit of HIIT so hopefully will have the fitness to make the team. Seems like I have to train twice as hard to get half as fit these days, ah well fit enough for another last season of junior rugby before I retire, 34 years is a nice round number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Lads.

Tallaght Rfc are on the outlook for preseason friendlies. If anyone is interested then maybe send me a PM.

Not sure of the exact title of the division we played in the metro league last year but was about the old J4 standard I think.

We have proposed games on Sat 23rd and 30th Aug so maybe the 1st couple of weeks in Sept or something mid week around the above dates would be a possibility.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately or fortunately I will be playing in a Spanish league for the next season but will be keeping a keen eye on this forum..

Your tale of Spanish rugby is worth a thread of it's own, man. I'd love to hear how the game rolls over there.

Your tale of Spanish rugby is worth a thread of it's own, man. I'd love to hear how the game rolls over there.

I may just do a thread on it alright! Won't be leaving here till the first week of September but already in contact with the team and they have preseason on atm......

We had a couple of spanish lads on one of our teams last year. They sad there is a lot of travelling involved in rugby for matches in Spain!

Teferi wrote: »
    We had a couple of spanish lads on one of our teams last year. They sad there is a lot of travelling involved in rugby for matches in Spain!

Oh that's alright.... I don't drive, but I cam drink a fair bit haha sure I'm going to study so being stuck in a car or bus for hours with Spanish lads will only help my language studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paul440

AIB RFC will shortly be beginning training for the 2014/2015 season and is actively looking for new players!

AIB Dublin Rugby Football Club is a competitive team with a strong social focus. We currently play in Leinster Metro league and are committed to providing a full and rewarding rugby experience for players of all skill and experience levels.
    AIB RFC is an open membership club, registered with the Leinster branch of the IRFU, and involvement is open to all!

Pre-season runs August/September in Herbert Park/Booterstown Park at 6:30 pm on Monday and Wednesdays. Sessions are run by IRFU trained coaches.
    Regular season training takes place in Monkstown RFC on Monday and Wednesdays at 6.30pm
    Matches: Saturday afternoons from September with home games in DCU.

Please PM me if interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

First day back tonight. The sense of dread is starting to fill me

First day back tonight. The sense of dread is starting to fill me

Yep, that feeling your feet are going to be in bits by the end of the day and you might even have a sly puke on the sideline. :P It's all uphill from there though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Heading up for my first day of pre-season tonight in Barnhall. The combination of being quite unfit, preseason, a dodgy knee and a fair whack of excess weight means I will quite happily admit to a fair few nerves. Haven't played since I was 12.

With any luck I won't break something.

Heading up for my first day of pre-season tonight in Barnhall. The combination of being quite unfit, preseason, a dodgy knee and a fair whack of excess weight means I will quite happily admit to a fair few nerves. Haven't played since I was 12.

With any luck I won't break something.

I'm not too far off that boat. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I actually liked pre season as you usually end up training in nice enough weather and it's great to be back playing.

It's all about the mix though. A good mix of fitness and ball work is great, too heavy on the fitness and it's a pain.

Advertisement