Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro12 2014/2015 Season thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/guinness-head-in-as-new-sponsors-of-pro-12-1-3469675

"Celtic rugby organisers are preparing to announce brewery firm Guinness as the new sponsors of the PRO 12, the Evening News understands."

They read boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ha, sure enough:

http://whois.danrodgers.pro/new/guinnesspro12.com

Might be interesting to try a bunch of random ones to see who else tendered!

http://whois.danrodgers.pro/new/heinekenpro12.com - Nope!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/guinness-head-in-as-new-sponsors-of-pro-12-1-3469675

"Celtic rugby organisers are preparing to announce brewery firm Guinness as the new sponsors of the PRO 12, the Evening News understands."

Brewery Firm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Weren't RaboDirect sponsoring the league just for the Irish arm of it?

It kind of further rubbishes the argument that Ireland and Irish teams don't take it seriously!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not per se. They sponsored the whole thing but only have a presence in Ireland.

yeah so they only sponsored it for the Irish market.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    yeah so they only sponsored it for the Irish market.

Ah yes, I get ya. Thought you meant they were only officially sponsoring the Irish part (a la the Super XV).

I didn't know you could do that in SuperXV but I suppose it makes sense.

I didn't know you could do that in SuperXV but I suppose it makes sense.

Makes more sense there cause of the much more disparate media markets. The Italians should definitely be allowed get their own sponsor if they wanted though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Makes more sense there cause of the much more disparate media markets. The Italians should definitely be allowed get their own sponsor if they wanted though.

What? The Italians love Guinness so they do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As the dust settles on Brooksgate I can see all the Joe Duffy hand-wringers moving quickly to the 'booze in sport sponsorship' bandwagon once again. Which will be a pity, as this is an excellent deal for the league, Guinness always does well by its partners. And the Turkish Airlines Pro12 (as was mooted) would just have been wrong.

Other than that Id say, underage drinkers can't hack Guinness, so no worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Larbre34 wrote: »
    As the dust settles on Brooksgate I can see all the Joe Duffy hand-wringers moving quickly to the 'booze in sport sponsorship' bandwagon once again. Which will be a pity, as this is an excellent deal for the league, Guinness always does well by its partners. And the Turkish Airlines Pro12 (as was mooted) would just have been wrong.

I don't get the argument to be honest and in this economy any move to take money out of organisations like the IRFU or GAA is just plain dumb. Is there any real evidence to suggest that a ban on advertising would reduce binge drinking? Further to that wasn't it suggested that events like the Jameson Film Festival would be exempt?

/sorry off topic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't get the argument to be honest and in this economy any move to take money out of organisations like the IRFU or GAA is just plain dumb. Is there any real evidence to suggest that a ban on advertising would reduce binge drinking? Further to that wasn't it suggested that events like the Jameson Film Festival would be exempt?

/sorry off topic!

Cultural events such as Music Festivals would be exempt, god forbid anyone would have an issue with beer companies giving out free drink to drunk kids.

They are just hitting the sports organisations.

Cultural events such as Music Festivals would be exempt, god forbid anyone would have an issue with beer companies giving out free drink to drunk kids.

It's nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

While I agree with your sentiments, if you think the beer at music festivals is free, you obviously haven't paid €6 for a pint of Heineken in a plastic glass at Electric Picnic recently...

When this (banning alcohol sponsorship) was first mooted, there was talk of the government making up the shortfall by increasing public funding, that has been quietly dropped so it's even less of a runner now IMO.

In fairness to Leo Varadkar, he's been very sensible on this issue and it hasn't progressed much at all under his watch.

While I agree with your sentiments, if you think the beer at music festivals is free, you obviously haven't paid €6 for a pint of Heineken in a plastic glass at Electric Picnic recently...

True but there always seems that there is one tent at every festival offering a free drink or free cans or something. At least a limited amount. I know generally its expensive but there is always some free drink somewhere provided by sponsors.

True but there always seems that there is one tent at every festival offering a free drink or free cans or something. At least a limited amount. I know generally its expensive but there is always some free drink somewhere provided by sponsors.

I want to go to the festivals you're going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

It kind of further rubbishes the argument that Ireland and Irish teams don't take it seriously!

I thought the biggest problem was that the Irish teams (and Glasgow) are the only ones who are taking it seriously

considering what they've been doing lately, i'm a little surprised BT didn't go for it.

• Advertisement

I thought the biggest problem was that the Irish teams (and Glasgow) are the only ones who are taking it seriously

Its more that Irish teams are dominating it without taking it seriously that is the problem.

Larbre34 wrote: »

The relentless alcohol marketing sinks in much earlier than 14. Other research in Britain of 10 and 11-year-olds shows that children are more familiar with beer brands than they are with brands of ice- cream or cake.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/a-sporting-chance-is-it-time-to-get-off-the-booze-and-on-the-ball-30389486.html

I don't know the ins and outs of marketing but that's quite an amazing statistic. What I do know is that doing 1 thing like banning sponsorship won't solve the problem of binge or underage drinking, there has to be a number of things done at once.

The 2014/15 @PRO12Rugby fixtures will be announced at 11am tomorrow, July 10th #PRO12Rugby

LR usually away first, BP win please to start again, every point counts

What surprised me last season was under JS it was a weaker team early on as the internationals got integrated back in but under MOC versus Scarlets last year it was strong.

Great comment on IT regarding Guinness sponsorship

"All games to kick off at 17:59 !"

I just read Arthur's Day has been canned. That's a shame. It was always a bit of fun regardless of it being completely fabricated by marketers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hopefully Celtic Rugby will also confirm soon which of their regional broadcast partners have re-signed, though we're aware RTE have not and are pretty certain (though not confirmed) that TG4 are in.

• Advertisement

ssaye2 wrote: »
    The 2014/15 @PRO12Rugby fixtures will be announced at 11am tomorrow, July 10th #PRO12Rugby

LR usually away first, BP win please to start again, every point counts

What surprised me last season was under JS it was a weaker team early on as the internationals got integrated back in but under MOC versus Scarlets last year it was strong.

Thought we were pretty cak against Scarlets, until they gave in to our conditioning towards the end and we ran everything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Pro12 website is now Guinness branded, goodbye Rabo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Will the fixtures announced at 11 be moved at all for TV coverage?

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/home.php

Looks really cool. I never liked the orange Rabo branding.

Oooh, nice.

• Advertisement

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/home.php

Looks really cool. I never liked the orange Rabo branding.

Yeah thought it was naff. I also didn't like the name 'Rabo', just sounded silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/15278.php#.U75f2o1dUQQ
    The GUINNESS PRO12 season will burst into action with lots of outstanding games to look forward to, starting on the first weekend of September (5/6/7th) 2014, with Glasgow Warriors hosting back-to-back champions Leinster in a repeat of last season's Final. Munster and Ulster, who both reached the Play-Offs, face Edinburgh at home and Scarlets away respectively. The Ospreys will face Benetton Treviso in Swansea and Cardiff Blues travel to Parma to take on Zebre. Connacht host the Newport Gwent Dragons in Galway.

Glasgow vs Leinster is a great opener BUT it won't be the same if a lot of the internationals are missing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I really like the Guinness branding. I didn't like Rabo's orange and blue at all.

Munster vs Leinster in Thomond Park on Stephen's Day / Stephen's Day weekend. That's going to be class! The same October-April fixtures were getting tiresome. Hopefully that will sell out unlike last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Munster vs Leinster in Thomond Park on Stephen's Day / Stephen's Day weekend. That's going to be class! The same October-April fixtures were getting tiresome. Hopefully that will sell out unlike last year.

Will it though? Irish teams are known for resting the big guns for the away leg at Christmas, not too sure how appealing Munster v Leinster 'A' will be

P_1 wrote: »
    Will it though? Irish teams are known for resting the big guns for the away leg at Christmas, not too sure how appealing Munster v Leinster 'A' will be

Ah there will have to be strong sides or there would be war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

In recognition of our new overlords can we re-title this the Guinness Pro 12 thread?

Or do we have to think of the children who this might influence?

Teferi wrote: »
    In recognition of our new overlords can we re-title this the Guinness Pro 12 thread?

Or do we have to think of the children who this might influence?

Let them be influenced.

tumblr_mzapxsdgsz1srsy9vo1_500.jpg

P_1 wrote: »

It'll be very appealing if Leinster 'A' win. ;D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

About time they changed the inter-pro scheduling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

any idea when they will firm up the dates/times for these fixtures?

slingerz wrote: »
    any idea when they will firm up the dates/times for these fixtures?

David Jordan, Tournament Director, GUINNESS PRO12 stated that 'the kick off times for the first half of the season will be issued shortly,

Munster v Ulster is the first game after the AIs so I'm guessing that will be pretty weakened teams as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

Isn't that usually the case though? A week our from the start of the European games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Is the website down for anyone else?

conf101 wrote: »
    Is the website down for anyone else?

http://www.pro12rugby.com/home.php

this is ok

cp wrote: »
    Isn't that usually the case though? A week our from the start of the European games?

There were no inter-pros that week last year.

Are you thinking of the inter-pro before the european knockout rounds start? Usually there's two pro12 fixtures after the 6N before the Euro game, so the interpro is usually very strong teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

ssaye2 wrote: »

Nope. Down for me.

Error simply saying "InvalidCust". No other details.

I'm on chrome. Cant be arsed trying any other browser

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote: »
    Nope. Down for me.

Error simply saying "InvalidCust". No other details.

I'm on chrome. Cant be arsed trying any other browser

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5E6PkbTHx_MdVbvigV7XX9Afh1CAXrAw-5YDZCfHG5cRwiIk7-mETPUA

Advertisement