Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

case885 wrote: »
    With Henshaw missing a big chunk of next season and a chance of him moving next summer it would have been good business, he would see plenty game time at centre I'd imagine.

Good business for Connacht.

When I think about it, he's made the right call for his career, definitely. He'd be, at best, in the 23 for one of the provinces and would never have a sniff of a cap.

In Scotland, he'll be a starter for Edinburgh and with their exodus of wingers (and lack of quality in that area) he has a real shot of a cap if he goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No tickets on TM for Ulster vs Munster. Dang. :(

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No tickets on TM for Ulster vs Munster. Dang. :(

There was 500 the other day, I posted it on the Munster thread.

It had sold out ages ago but Munster returned 500 tickets.

awec wrote: »
    There was 500 the other day, I posted it on the Munster thread.

It had sold out ages ago but Munster returned 500 tickets.
    Hadn't decided whether I was going. I naively thought those tickets would still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

400 tickets left for Pro12 final.

• Advertisement

Deccie Fitz forced to retire :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

All jokes aside that's sad news. Whatever else he could scrummage. Disappointing to hear.

Bloody concussion could ruin this game we love

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

It's always a shame to see a player forced to retire because of injury. That said, the player is clearly making the right decision for his own future, given what we know about the potential long-term effects of repeated concussions. His career was fairly blighted by injury but when he was fit he didn't look out of place even playing at the top level for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

That kind of slipped in under the radar with me, anyone notice him picking up a lot of concussions? I mean - are there more guys out there who might just retire, and forgive me for saying this because it's perhaps my fault for not noticing but 'out of the blue'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Best of luck to him. He had terrible luck with injuries. Hopefully no long term effects.

• Advertisement

So what do we reckon. Same team that played Connacht? Some talk that DC may not make it. If not McCloskey presumably slips in. His extra physicality mightn't be a bad thing against Leinster anyway given they went through the grinder yesterday.

Has to be the same team, need to be able to cope with the mexico pack.

Has to be the same team, need to be able to cope with the mexico pack.

Our starting 8 are good for it, it's just when we need to bring on the replacements that the problems start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster have stumbled and bumbled and lurched their way through the season not helped by being lumbered with a coach of very limited ability and some unfortunate decisions on players by the disciplinary panel. Some vaguely justified and some clearly not.

Williams deserved his 16 (8) week ban....pity it wasn't more for a very thuggish act on a defenceless player. When I look at the actions of guys like Hartley and Vunipola being cleared in England, on the basis of the laws, I am mystified as to the basis on which some of our players were banned. Very harsh. Still, I think they are all back except Williams who should be paid off. It would be cheaper. He probably cost us the game in Thomond and his poor form has been grim at times.

If the Leinster pack take heart from their heroic efforts in France, they will be very hard to beat at Ravenhillspan. If we see McComish coming on, the jig will be up.

Is Alan O'Connor fit?......Great player in the making I think.

Who is our replacement number 8?

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ulster have stumbled and bumbled and lurched their way through the season not helped by being lumbered with a coach of very limited ability and some unfortunate decisions on players by the disciplinary panel. Some vaguely justified and some clearly not.

Williams deserved his 16 (8) week ban....pity it wasn't more for a very thuggish act on a defenceless player. When I look at the actions of guys like Hartley and Vunipola being cleared in England, on the basis of the laws, I am mystified as to the basis on which some of our players were banned. Very harsh. Still, I think they are all back except Williams who should be paid off. It would be cheaper. He probably cost us the game in Thomond and his poor form has been grim at times.

If the Leinster pack take heart from their heroic efforts in France, they will be very hard to beat at Ravenhillspan. If we see McComish coming on, the jig will be up.

Is Alan O'Connor fit?......Great player in the making I think.
    The jig will be up for Leinster alright, sure didn't McComish get two tries at Stade Mayol. :p

Leinster will be absolutely knackered and disheartened by yesterday, I'd say. Toulon were simply awful - they assumed it would be a walkover, and it wasn't at all. But that was due to their own complacency and mistakes as much as anything. How many knock-ons did they make? How many braindead penalties did they give away? (Although it's not unknown for Ulster to do similar... in each and every game...)

If we can scent blood and bring full on intensity, we can win this without a panic. Esspecially given our strength in the last ten/fifteen minutes of games.

If O'Connor were back, that would be brilliant. Diack as bench back-rower. No need for Clive Ross.

Worried about having a rusty Marshall or McCloskey at 12 though - would actually prefer Cave (presuming Payne is mandated at 13).

Who is our replacement number 8?

Diack?

A lot of them had a week off last week though. And this is basically a cup final for them, they will absolutely go for broke cause they may as well. There'll be no lack of intensity.

Possibly. I just wonder how long they'll be able to maintain it.

• Advertisement

Possibly. I just wonder how long they'll be able to maintain it.

Their bench is better than ours though!

Their bench is better than ours though!

Well, we don't know who's on either bench, so that's quite a statement. O'Connor, if he were back, is better than Marshall. Herring is playing Strauss into a cocked hat currently. And there'd be some other nuanced calls.

Where they have a massive advantage is the backrow and prop replacements. But we'll see how it all shakes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

With Leinster, Munster, Glasgow and then hopefully a semi Doak should be making the rest of his selections with a photocopier (barring injury). Ulster are not deep enough to mess around if they want a home semi. It would be good to get some continuity going as well with the amount of player returning from injury and the Ireland set up.

Leinster will be fired up and hurting but Ulster should be motivated to eliminate their bogey team. Would be a little pay back for the last couple years!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Leinster will be absolutely knackered and disheartened by yesterday, I'd say. Toulon were simply awful - they assumed it would be a walkover, and it wasn't at all. But that was due to their own complacency and mistakes as much as anything. How many knock-ons did they make? How many braindead penalties did they give away? (Although it's not unknown for Ulster to do similar... in each and every game...)

If we can scent blood and bring full on intensity, we can win this without a panic. Esspecially given our strength in the last ten/fifteen minutes of games.

If O'Connor were back, that would be brilliant. Diack as bench back-rower. No need for Clive Ross.

Worried about having a rusty Marshall or McCloskey at 12 though - would actually prefer Cave (presuming Payne is mandated at 13).

O'Connor out for the rest of the season apparently with groin problems. Pity

madlad88 wrote: »
    O'Connor out for the rest of the season apparently with groin problems. Pity

Real shame. With Henderson and maybe Tuohy at the WC he will have a good chance to hit the ground running next season. I've been impressed by him this season

Two years would suggest that he's not going for an international spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Ulster Head Coach, Neil Doak, has named the same side that recorded a bonus point win over Connacht a fortnight ago for tomorrow evening’s Guinness PRO12 match against Leinster at Kingspan Stadium (kick off 19:35).

Thirteen internationals are named in the squad for the inter-provincial match, which sold out four weeks ago.

The PRO12’s leading try scorer, Craig Gilroy, Tommy Bowe and Louis Ludik, who all got tries at the Sportsground, are named in the back three, with Gilroy on the left wing, Bowe on the right and Ludik starting at fullback.

Ireland internationals Darren Cave and Jared Payne continue their partnership in midfield with Cave starting at inside centre and Payne wearing 13.

Paddy Jackson is named at outhalf with Springbok, Ruan Pienaar continuing at scrumhalf.

Up front, Callum Black and Wiehahn Herbst start either side of Captain Rory Best in the front row.

Dan Tuohy partners Franco van der Merwe in the second row, with Iain Henderson starting at blindside and fellow Ireland international, Chris Henry, selected at openside.

Roger Wilson is named at Number 8 and will draw level with Paddy Wallace as Ulster’s all-time PRO12 appearance record holder as he plays his 131st game in the competition.

Forwards Rob Herring, Andrew Warwick, Bronson Ross, Robbie Diack and Clive Ross, join backs Paul Marshall, Ian Humphreys and Stuart McCloskey on the replacements’ bench.

The game is live on BBC2 Northern Ireland, RTE Radio and Sky Sports.

Ulster team & replacements to play Leinster, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 24th April (19:35 kick off):
    (15-9): L Ludik; T Bowe, J Payne, D Cave, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Best (C), W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, R Wilson;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, B Ross, R Diack, C Ross, P Marshall, I Humphreys, S McCloskey.

Good team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Henderson at 6

SP-Pic-of-randy-****-it-to-Elephants-boning-8x6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Looking forward to seeing how Henderson and Jackson in particular do, massive game for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Maybe off topic but this was unveiled a Ravespan today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does that symbolize a crooked throw :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

I think its a statue of Payne in the HC getting his yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

It's John Lacey being lynched by Awec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Good team.

Me Tarzan you Jane.

It's the depth and breadth of insight on this forum that keeps me coming back. Looking forward to your match preview awec :D

$ausage$ wrote: »
    I think its a statue of Payne in the HC getting his yellow

If only it was a yellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Me Tarzan you Jane.

It's the depth and breadth of insight on this forum that keeps me coming back. Looking forward to your match preview awec :D
    First draft for Awec's preview:
    Big game.

These teams:

Ref bad

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Me Tarzan you Jane.

I'll be starting the Ulster Rugby vs Leinster Rugby (with guest player John Lacey) thread later.

Lots of players set to be released by Ulster soon.

Logan wants Henry gone, management want him to stay. Would be crazy if Logan gets his way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Logan wants Henry gone, management want him to stay. Would be crazy if Logan gets his way.

Who, Chris Henry???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Complete hearsay but the version I've heard is

Henry's heart condition has a small risk of reoccurring, Henry insists on playing. Logan doesn't want to risk Henry's condition reoccurring and it being on Ulster's watch.

Brewster wrote: »
    Who, Chris Henry???

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Yes

The guy has to follow the medical advice, if medical advice says he can play, I'd have thought that was end of it.

That's worrying news.

What is Logan's issue? Is he worried for Henry or concerned Ulster could be facing some kind of insurance payout if Henry has to prematurely retire.

Was just thinking, at what point do we start to re-assess how Doak is doing?

The last three games have seen a significant improvement. Now he obvious response to that is that we have had our best players available, however I wonder if we have been judging Doak on the back of a team missing many of it's best players all season.

I'm not saying I'm on board the Doak bus, but I'm starting to wonder if I've been a wee bit harsh on him so far this season. The next month will tell us more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Typical Doak apologists crawling out of the woodwork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    Was just thinking, at what point do we start to re-assess how Doak is doing?

The last three games have seen a significant improvement. Now he obvious response to that is that we have had our best players available, however I wonder if we have been judging Doak on the back of a team missing many of it's best players all season.

I'm not saying I'm on board the Doak bus, but I'm starting to wonder if I've been a wee bit harsh on him so far this season. The next month will tell us more.

My own judgement so far is that he has done a decent job, not the answer to Ulster's coaching issues but could when combined with a director of rugby (assuming that he and Kiss work well together rather than tear strips off each other) prove to be a very good coach coaching team.

Typical Doak apologists crawling out of the woodwork!

I'm just letting a few results go to my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Certainly didn't have a great opening half to the season but they've consolidated and benefitted from a clean bill of health for a little while now with the team getting a good run together. They've only lost once since the Toulon demolition away to the Dragons when they fielded and experimental side.

They've a very solid and settled starting side now with No. 8 being the only position I think is a real concern (Wilson was awful for Te'o's try at the weekend) and are well placed win the league. All they need is a top 2 finish given the final is in Belfast.

They're well poised for next season with Kiss coming on board and Doak under less pressure. They do need to address their depth up front though which has been their biggest issue for years now. It cost them badly this season and will do so again if they can't develop some cover. When you look at the side that hosted Toulon and went to Welford Road in October, they were never going to win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement