Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Looking forward to seeing how Henderson and Jackson in particular do, massive game for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Maybe off topic but this was unveiled a Ravespan today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does that symbolize a crooked throw :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

I think its a statue of Payne in the HC getting his yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

It's John Lacey being lynched by Awec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

awec wrote: »
    Good team.

Me Tarzan you Jane.

It's the depth and breadth of insight on this forum that keeps me coming back. Looking forward to your match preview awec :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

$ausage$ wrote: »
    I think its a statue of Payne in the HC getting his yellow

If only it was a yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Me Tarzan you Jane.

It's the depth and breadth of insight on this forum that keeps me coming back. Looking forward to your match preview awec :D
    First draft for Awec's preview:
    Big game.

These teams:

Ref bad

• Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Me Tarzan you Jane.

I'll be starting the Ulster Rugby vs Leinster Rugby (with guest player John Lacey) thread later.

Lots of players set to be released by Ulster soon.

Logan wants Henry gone, management want him to stay. Would be crazy if Logan gets his way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Logan wants Henry gone, management want him to stay. Would be crazy if Logan gets his way.

Who, Chris Henry???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Complete hearsay but the version I've heard is

Henry's heart condition has a small risk of reoccurring, Henry insists on playing. Logan doesn't want to risk Henry's condition reoccurring and it being on Ulster's watch.

Brewster wrote: »
    Who, Chris Henry???

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Yes

The guy has to follow the medical advice, if medical advice says he can play, I'd have thought that was end of it.

That's worrying news.

What is Logan's issue? Is he worried for Henry or concerned Ulster could be facing some kind of insurance payout if Henry has to prematurely retire.

Was just thinking, at what point do we start to re-assess how Doak is doing?

The last three games have seen a significant improvement. Now he obvious response to that is that we have had our best players available, however I wonder if we have been judging Doak on the back of a team missing many of it's best players all season.

I'm not saying I'm on board the Doak bus, but I'm starting to wonder if I've been a wee bit harsh on him so far this season. The next month will tell us more.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Typical Doak apologists crawling out of the woodwork!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    Was just thinking, at what point do we start to re-assess how Doak is doing?

The last three games have seen a significant improvement. Now he obvious response to that is that we have had our best players available, however I wonder if we have been judging Doak on the back of a team missing many of it's best players all season.

I'm not saying I'm on board the Doak bus, but I'm starting to wonder if I've been a wee bit harsh on him so far this season. The next month will tell us more.

My own judgement so far is that he has done a decent job, not the answer to Ulster's coaching issues but could when combined with a director of rugby (assuming that he and Kiss work well together rather than tear strips off each other) prove to be a very good coach coaching team.

Typical Doak apologists crawling out of the woodwork!

I'm just letting a few results go to my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Certainly didn't have a great opening half to the season but they've consolidated and benefitted from a clean bill of health for a little while now with the team getting a good run together. They've only lost once since the Toulon demolition away to the Dragons when they fielded and experimental side.

They've a very solid and settled starting side now with No. 8 being the only position I think is a real concern (Wilson was awful for Te'o's try at the weekend) and are well placed win the league. All they need is a top 2 finish given the final is in Belfast.

They're well poised for next season with Kiss coming on board and Doak under less pressure. They do need to address their depth up front though which has been their biggest issue for years now. It cost them badly this season and will do so again if they can't develop some cover. When you look at the side that hosted Toulon and went to Welford Road in October, they were never going to win.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Certainly didn't have a great opening half to the season but they've consolidated and benefitted from a clean bill of health for a little while now with the team getting a good run together. They've only lost once since the Toulon demolition away to the Dragons when they fielded and experimental side.

They've a very solid and settled starting side now with No. 8 being the only position I think is a real concern (Wilson was awful for Te'o's try at the weekend) and are well placed win the league. All they need is a top 2 finish given the final is in Belfast.

They're well poised for next season with Kiss coming on board and Doak under less pressure. They do need to address their depth up front though which has been their biggest issue for years now. It cost them badly this season and will do so again if they can't develop some cover. When you look at the side that hosted Toulon and went to Welford Road in October, they were never going to win.

Next year will be hard for all the provinces and World Cup years are hard to predict. The first 6-8 games will be played without the internationals and then those same players will be held back again in during the 6Ns. Depth will be tested for all sides.

There is talk of another big signing in the works, reading between the lines on UAFC it may possibly be a South African back row. You said it, we need an 8. No idea who it is (if it's happening) assuming it isn't Vermuelen (if only!) what other No.8s would make a difference?

2016/17 could be a big season for us, obviously Best, Trimble, Bowe and Henry will be kicking on by that stage but that is when I think we could be serious contenders in Europe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

The last few games have been encouraging for Doak (and his staff - the defence against Leinster was a sea change to some of the stuff we've seen). Obviously the upcoming run in will be a big test and will reveal a lot. The fact is, Ulster probably have the most complete squad in Ireland and really should show that when they have most of their big players available, so while Doak deserves credit I'm still a little skeptical.

bilston wrote: »
    There is talk of another big signing in the works, reading between the lines on UAFC it may possibly be a South African back row. You said it, we need an 8. No idea who it is (if it's happening) assuming it isn't Vermuelen (if only!) what other No.8s would make a difference?.

Vermuelan is strangely still available even though Toulon are supposed interested. I'd imagine he'll end up there on a crazy contract or back in SA. It would be awesome though.
    For Ulster more realistically from the other big Bok names are Kankowski and Alberts. Both were expected to leave and both are from the Sharks (like Muller, Pienaar, Herbst, Terblanche and even Ludik and Van der Merwe for a bit). Willem Alberts would be a huge addition. I saw something about Wasps trying to get him signed so he's definitely looking. Fingers crossed!
    Of course Pierre Spies might be available and fits our injury history!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

stl.ire wrote: »
    The last few games have been encouraging for Doak (and his staff - the defence against Leinster was a sea change to some of the stuff we've seen). Obviously the upcoming run in will be a big test and will reveal a lot. The fact is, Ulster probably have the most complete squad in Ireland and really should show that when they have most of their big players available, so while Doak deserves credit I'm still a little skeptical.

Vermuelan is strangely still available even though Toulon are supposed interested. I'd imagine he'll end up there on a crazy contract or back in SA. It would be awesome though.
    For Ulster more realistically from the other big Bok names are Kankowski and Alberts. Both were expected to leave and both are from the Sharks (like Muller, Pienaar, Herbst, Terblanche and even Ludik and Van der Merwe for a bit). Willem Alberts would be a huge addition. I saw something about Wasps trying to get him signed so he's definitely looking. Fingers crossed!
    Of course Pierre Spies might be available and fits our injury history!!

I'd love to agree with you on that but we simply don't have the quality in all areas of our 'reserves' that would support your argument. Back row in particular. When we have to play guys like McComish etc we show our weakness in that area.

I suppose when we have under rated players like Herring, Black, Warwick, Diack and tyros like O'Connor in the forwards we are doing o.k. I think Warwick and O'Connor could become significantly important players in the near future and Herring is fast approaching Best's level but Black and Diack are probably at their ceiling - really high as it is in the case of Black. Our greatest worry is the fact that our academy is surprisingly fruitless in bringing forward high quality operators for the pack. We have also let some possibles slip through the net. Chris Taylor for example. Also, I heard a rumour that O'Hagan is going back to England. Something which I hope is wrong.

Our biggest weakness is at 9 and 10. Beagle is great now and again but we've all had our heads in our hands at times when he blows really cold....being polite. Losing O'Hagan seems to be really careless. iHumph is a really good back up 10 most of the time and can be really sublime one minute and shocking in the same move.

We need consistently good 9s and 10s and we don't have them in the reserves.

I would agree that in the outside backs we are as well served as most European clubs. Ludik, Payne, L. Marshall, Olding, McCloskey, Cave, Gilroy, Trimble, Bowe, Scholes etc are pretty high quality and behind them we have guys like Sam Arnold, jack Owens, Jacob Stockdale and Conor Young who look the biz. What we need is Lorcal Dow and Frankie Taggart to come through and we are getting somewhere in the back row.

Nah, Ulster don't have the most complete squad in Ireland. I think that's a really optimistic statement. They've a really good first team that's capable of beating anyone when all fit and on form but beyond that, gaps really begin to show. Season after season, depth has been their Achilles heel. Few injuries has seen their season

When Paul Marshall, Andrew Warwick, Clive Ross and Bronson Ross are on the bench, I don't think it's a feasible argument. Some of them have performed well beyond expectations but that doesn't make them test standard players.

If I had to be critical, I would think Ulster need quality depth at 3, 7, 8, 9 and 10 for their first 25 or 26 players. Injuries in any of those positions currently leads to a serious drop off in quality. Diack is a really good player but I see him as a very handy blindside as opposed to an 8 although he can cover across back row and lock if necessary.

1 Black Warwick
    2 Best Herring McCall Andrew
    3 Herbst Ross
    4 Tuohy O'Connor Stevenson
    5 Van Der Merwe Henderson
    6 Henderson Browne Diack
    7 Henry Faloon
    8 Wilson Williams*
    9 Pienaar Marshall Rowley Heaney
    10 Jackson Humprheys Windsor Heaney
    11 Bowe Gilroy
    12 Cave McCloskey Arnold Olding
    13 Payne Marshall
    14 Trimble Scholes
    15 Ludik Payne, Gilroy

That's pretty much next season's squad. No doubt I've left a couple out and maybe some of those fringe guys will move on. Hopefully the likes of Dow and Taggart come through and we clearly need more cover at TH and in the back row in general.

The drop off from Pienaar and Jackson at half back is scary! And we know they will be missing until November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

We couldn't get Kieran Read could we? He's likely to become the next AB cpt. so will be kept in NZ right?

Warren Whiteley is a great no 8, though maybe not the type of player we need. Pierre Spies, I don't know what his plans are but he's maybe too similar in play to Whiteley. Alberts is the type of guy we should be after, or Vermeulen. Ben McCalman from Aus is handy no8 too.

*crosses fingers for McCaw*

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Maybe Rory McIlroy will leave another blank cheque book behind the bins at Ravenspan and you can buy Vermeulen and Read. Plus they'll need cover so you'll also buy Louis Picamoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Buer wrote: »
    Nah, Ulster don't have the most complete squad in Ireland. I think that's a really optimistic statement. They've a really good first team that's capable of beating anyone when all fit and on form but beyond that, gaps really begin to show. Season after season, depth has been their Achilles heel. Few injuries has seen their season

When Paul Marshall, Andrew Warwick, Clive Ross and Bronson Ross are on the bench, I don't think it's a feasible argument. Some of them have performed well beyond expectations but that doesn't make them test standard players.

If I had to be critical, I would think Ulster need quality depth at 3, 7, 8, 9 and 10 for their first 25 or 26 players. Injuries in any of those positions currently leads to a serious drop off in quality. Diack is a really good player but I see him as a very handy blindside as opposed to an 8 although he can cover across back row and lock if necessary.

Warwick is a seriously very good player in the making and Bronson Ross has exceeded any expectation of him considering he missed all of last season with a serious neck injury. He started the game against Toulon and did o.k. Still, I wouldn't like to have to rely on him now that Deccie has flown the coup. Dave Ryan and Ruaridh Murphy seem to have sunk without trace.

Warwick is a very decent player. Not ECC winning standard but I rate him. I suppose I judge him on the basis that if it's the week of a ECC semi final against Clermont or Toulon and your first choice player breaks his leg, would you see Warwick as a potential weakness? Maybe I'm being overly harsh (or not informed enough) but I would.

Ryan and Murphy...couldn't fathom those signings at the time and still can't. Both have proven track records of not making the grade. Ulster were sold a pup in particular with Murphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Maybe Rory McIlroy will leave another blank cheque book behind the bins at Ravenspan and you can buy Vermeulen and Read. Plus they'll need cover so you'll also buy Louis Picamoles.

That's be the change in his back pocket rather than needing a cheque for McIlroy at this stage.
    Still if it works for Leinster with Sexton then why not, c'mon Rory, splash the cash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement