Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bernard Laporte confirmed the signing of Quade Cooper to local press yesterday. The signing should be announced officially after the Champions Cup final.

So as it stands Toulon could name these two backlines:

Tillous-Borde, Cooper, Habana, Nonu, Bastareaud, Nalaga, Halfpenny

Pelissié, Michalak, Mitchell, Giteau, Mermoz, Tuisova, Delon

Mental.

Looks like an expensive squad alright....

Salary Cap must be very strictly enforced o'er there...

Looks like an expensive squad alright....

Salary Cap must be very strictly enforced o'er there...

Even though they are under contract, I'd say Michalak and Mermoz will be leaving.

Even though they are under contract, I'd say Michalak and Mermoz will be leaving.

A blow to Toulon, two players who could be paid their first €100k outside of the cap.

A blow to Toulon, two players who could be paid their first €100k outside of the cap.
    I'm not sure if they are in the France 30 or not.

In fairness I'd say the rules are strictly enforced over. The DNACG is the financial watchdog and they have relegated clubs before that have fallen foul of the rules.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if they are in the France 30 or not.

In fairness I'd say the rules are strictly enforced over. The DNACG is the financial watchdog and they have relegated clubs before that have fallen foul of the rules.

Boujadel explained very straightforwardly how they get around the cap.

Wilkinson was paid his Toulon wage for playing rugby, which sits inside the cap. Then Toulon's 'partners' also employ Johnny for media deals and sponsorship opportunities.

Wilkinson's Bank Account
    Toulon Wages - €100k
    'Toulon Partners' Wages - €X00k

Think about Sexton's 'package' from Leinster/DOB.

Thanks emmet. I'm sure Dan Carter's deal involves the same!

Btw Cooper has actually been confirmed on Toulon's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Bernard Laporte confirmed the signing of Quade Cooper to local press yesterday. The signing should be announced officially after the Champions Cup final.

So as it stands Toulon could name these two backlines:

Tillous-Borde, Cooper, Habana, Nonu, Bastareaud, Nalaga, Halfpenny

Pelissié, Michalak, Mitchell, Giteau, Mermoz, Tuisova, Delon

Mental.

Nalaga is going to Toulon too?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Nalaga is going to Toulon too?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Boujadel explained very straightforwardly how they get around the cap.

Wilkinson was paid his Toulon wage for playing rugby, which sits inside the cap. Then Toulon's 'partners' also employ Johnny for media deals and sponsorship opportunities.

Wilkinson's Bank Account
    Toulon Wages - €100k
    'Toulon Partners' Wages - €X00k

Think about Sexton's 'package' from Leinster/DOB.

They wany to bring that under the cap but it's a nightmare to legislate for and enforce.

• Advertisement

They wany to bring that under the cap but it's a nightmare to legislate for and enforce.

It's practically impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It's practically impossible.
    It wouldn't be that hard to make a pretty good go at it. Widen the net of relevant bodies to include related companies and affiliates. Include all 'tied' compensation provided to the player by any related (defined very very widely) body that is considered an inducement to player for them to play for team i.e. the player wouldn't have joined with X 'sponshorship. You're never going to tackle it unless you try. Sure there may still be some ways to get around but you could at least limit impact.

As this isn't a strictly legal matter, the burden of evidence won't need to be very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

So. I thought I would bring my 4year old nephew to his first rugby match, sale sharks vs harlequins....and I discover that Wayne bloody Barnes is reffing!

Sangre wrote: »
    It wouldn't be that hard to make a pretty good go at it. Widen the net of relevant bodies to include related companies and affiliates. Include all 'tied' compensation provided to the player by any related (defined very very widely) body that is considered an inducement to player for them to play for team i.e. the player wouldn't have joined with X 'sponshorship. You're never going to tackle it unless you try. Sure there may still be some ways to get around but you could at least limit impact.

As this isn't a strictly legal matter, the burden of evidence won't need to be very high.

Which is exactly how they do it in the AP. But the extent to which it works isn't very clear at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RuggieBear wrote: »
    So. I thought I would bring my 4year old nephew to his first rugby match, sale sharks vs harlequins....and I discover that Wayne bloody Barnes is reffing!

Im still laughing at the outrage emanating from your post :)

Leicester 7-10 London Welsh; HT at Welford Road.

No, you are not seeing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

My initial reaction was Leicester must have been playing with 13 players. I'd even have been surprised for a 14 man Leicester to be losing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone read the article about Victor o'Connell in the Irish Times today?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Stheno wrote: »
    Anyone read the article about Victor o'Connell in the Irish Times today?
    No. Do you have a link to it?

Bristol beat Worcester in final round of RFU Championship today. Bristol top, Worcester second. Both will end up meeting in the final. Cant see Rotherham or London Scottish surprising either in the two legged semis. First leg of the semi finals are next Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Bristol and Worcester has to be the best promotion challenge in recent memory, you'd imagine both would have a great chance at staying up. Between them they have only managed 2 losses to the rest of the league in 40 games, with a try bonus almost every single match. At 30-26 you would imagine it was a good game, their match earlier in the season was an absolute cracker. Bristol could rue not taking their chance last year against London Welsh but they're probably marginal favourites this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

http://sport.bt.com/sport-hurts/halaufia-sent-off-for-shoving-rivals-head-into-ground-91363977720013

Region locked to the UK but this is Chris Hala'ufia getting sent off today, just outright thuggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

RuggieBear wrote: »

Surely something that brutal and upsetting should have an 18 rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Burr10

http://sport.bt.com/sport-hurts/halaufia-sent-off-for-shoving-rivals-head-into-ground-91363977720013

Region locked to the UK but this is Chris Hala'ufia getting sent off today, just outright thuggery.

Typical Hala'ufia really, the guy has been cheapshotting people for years, including slapping the face of someone he tackled earlier this season. His 'tackle' on Olly Morgan a few years ago was particularly awful.

I really don't like players like him playing and game and hope he gets a nice long ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scumbag, that's the second incident following his attempted cheek slap after smashing a Newcastle player (though that tackle was legal I believe), not to mention his previous indiscretions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't see the vid but Hala'ufia has 12 yellows and 2 reds in 89+21 games in the Aviva!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I can't see the vid but Hala'ufia has 12 yellows and 2 reds in 89+21 games in the Aviva!!

It was a shocker, he put a big hit on the Leicester player who stayed down, as he was over him Hala'ufia then pushed his head into the ground as he was getting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Brendan fanning has an article in the sindo about the suta choke hold last week, the picture wit the article makes me sick. Its up there with calum clark breaking a players arm a few years ago. How he didnt get cited i dont know. Disgusting behaviour, the look on suta's is a disgrace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dunno if I'd go as far as comparing it to Clarke. Would have happily seen a lifetime ban for that tbh.

I do find it disturbing it wasn't cited though.

Some great games across the leagues next weekend, after what is basically a weekend off for the Champions Cup final (which noone is going to go to).

In the Pro 12, Ulster play Munster AND Glasgow play Ospreys. That's basically the top 4 all playing each other.

In the Premiership, Saracens play Exeter and Wasps play Leicester. Both big games between team who aren't guaranteed playoff positions. Those teams are 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th and are seperated by 5 points.

The Top 14 is a little less exciting, but the Pro 12 and Premiership will be great to watch. Use that incentive to get you through this weekend... :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Some great games across the leagues next weekend, after what is basically a weekend off for the Champions Cup final (which noone is going to go to).

In the Pro 12, Ulster play Munster AND Glasgow play Ospreys. That's basically the top 4 all playing each other.

In the Premiership, Saracens play Exeter and Wasps play Leicester. Both big games between team who aren't guaranteed playoff positions. Those teams are 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th and are seperated by 5 points.

The Top 14 is a little less exciting, but the Pro 12 and Premiership will be great to watch. Use that incentive to get you through this weekend... :/

And for the small coterie of SXV-philes that inhabit this forum, a few crunch games there too, not least the excitement-plus Canes v the Crusaders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement