Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual RVV

Options
  • 06-04-2020 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Did anyone watch this?

Verdict?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Yeah i did. bit surreal ,interesting to see power they can put out but would not watch more than 45 mins of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It was entertaining enough as a novelty but the software still has a bit to go before it could be trusted in a real event. Lag, Internet dropout, any number of things would need to be tightened up but leaving that aside it was an interesting distraction.
    I thought Evenpoel or De Ghent were going to run away with it but GVA was some beast once he got going. Kudos to Nico too for a strong ride.
    Most realistic part of the whole thing was Matthews pulling out when it didn't go his way :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It was good but very freezy/laggy, that'd want to be ironed out.
    Enjoyed it though, especially seeing them on their turbos at home.
    And the kids coming in after :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I watched the whole thing.

Idea was good - especially in these times when there is no real sport. Much better than watching players play each other in video games which some other sports seem to think is interesting.

Liked the cameras in riders homes, if it became more regular I'd improve a bit e.g. lighting in Evanepoel's garden meant you couldn't see him, I'd also add microphones, and encourage team mates to use radios. There didn't seem to be any advantage to having teammates or not.

Aside from the lag, looked like there were a few bugs e.g. at the start line. Also seemed too easy to break away, there was someone off the front every few mins, but maybe that was just the type of race.

My biggest problem was the landscape, absolutely no effort at all on the part of BKool to make it look anything resembling real life. They did somehow manage to get sponsor tents in though.

Overall, I'd say it was a missed opportunity on the e-sports side - looking at a green field just added to that. There was also no sense of when they were climbing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I think another problem is that when you are in a race you can see when a lad is going to attack, and you can go just as he's going.

On a virtual race you cant see that, so someone can jump and they can be 100 metres up the road before it shows up on screen.

I also wonder were the DS in their ears, or did they bother taking it that serious?

I would have liked to see them going uphill as well.

• Advertisement

Team Ineos doing a virtual race up Alpe D'Zwift at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Team Ineos doing a virtual race up Alpe D'Zwift at the moment

I enjoyed that! Some incredible W/KG figures there. Good effort to provide us some racing, and with the commentary as well I thought it was quite entertaining. Women's race tomorrow evening at 7pm I think. Great stuff ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

andy69 wrote: »
    Women's race tomorrow evening at 7pm I think. Great stuff ðŸ‘

Where/how will that be broadcast then? Is it watchable live?

andy69 wrote: »
    I enjoyed that! Some incredible W/KG figures there. Good effort to provide us some racing, and with the commentary as well I thought it was quite entertaining. Women's race tomorrow evening at 7pm I think. Great stuff ðŸ‘

If I could drop 30kg and keep my current power I might be in with a shout :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

fat bloke wrote: »
    Where/how will that be broadcast then? Is it watchable live?

Yep, if you go to YouTube and search for Zwift. They have a channel, and you can 'visit channel' and there you will see the replay of today and other last events...scroll down a little and you'll see 'scheduled' events like the race this evening and some others too.
    Not sure if they ALL have commentary and interviews like the ineos one, but hopefully they will for the women's one this evening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If I could drop 30kg and keep my current power I might be in with a shout :D:D:D

Same here, aside from the weight, myself and Eddie Dunbar are basically the same :pac:

Advertisement