Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a CID after Covid 19

Options
  • 05-04-2020 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I am a post primary teacher of Irish and French hoping to move schools from Dublin to Wexford this September. Being a teacher with CID for the last four years, I was hoping someone here could advise me on what impact the inevitable economic downturn will have on teacher allocations, permanencies, etc. before I make the change. What exactly happened to teachers during the last recession?

I am currently teaching (albeit remotely!!) in Dublin but living in Wexford. Obviously the chess pieces have been thrown into the air in recent weeks, but once they all land, I will still hope to make the move.

All advice greatly appreciated,

Beirigí bua!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

Is a cid transferable between schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dco90

Treppen wrote: »
    Is a cid transferable between schools?

No, a CID is awarded after two year's full time consecutive service in the same school. So if you move school, you lose your CID and have to serve another two years in the new school before getting CID.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I think we are all in for a freeze on increments...affecting LPTs much more as we start on a lower point, have more points to cover, and of course don't get allowances. So I would never leave a CID unless you got offered a permanent contract elsewhere...yes, they do still offer these (albeit rarely) for in demand subjects such as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

dco90 wrote: »
    No, a CID is awarded after two year's full time consecutive service in the same school. So if you move school, you lose your CID and have to serve another two years in the new school before getting CID.
    I don't think that's the case if you're redeployed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

jrmb wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case if you're redeployed though.

Yes you keep your CID if redeployed or transferred within the same ETB. But post primary redeployment this year is only open to those wishing to move to Dublin, not away.

Irish will remain a strong subject for jobs regardless of COVID. But regional variations in demand do happen, I don't know anything specific about Wexford.

As a previous poster said, permanent jobs do exist off the bat too. I've seen them offered in Irish, Maths, Spanish, Woodwork, Home Ec and Metalwork over the past two years. All in Dublin though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Any indication of when new, if any, posts will be advertised? I see one or two etbs have generic applications open but I'm wondering when individual schools will be advertising.
    Obviously school dates are up in the air for now and it's probably low enough on the priority scale at the minute but don't want to miss the boat if an opportunity arises.

Christ knows feck all posts have been advertised in the geographic location I'm aiming for in my last few years of looking.

Looking to move out of Dublin with Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yes you keep your CID if redeployed or transferred within the same ETB. But post primary redeployment this year is only open to those wishing to move to Dublin, not away.

Irish will remain a strong subject for jobs regardless of COVID. But regional variations in demand do happen, I don't know anything specific about Wexford.

As a previous poster said, permanent jobs do exist off the bat too. I've seen them offered in Irish, Maths, Spanish, Woodwork, Home Ec and Metalwork over the past two years. All in Dublin though.

What's this about wishing to move to Dublin?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What's this about wishing to move to Dublin?

The pilot voluntary redeployment scheme for 2020. It's only only available if you want to move to Dublin.

https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Services/Teacher-Allocations/Teacher-Allocation/Post-Primary-FAQs-Pilot-Voluntary-Redeployment-Scheme.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

In the short term, there is no change to allocations for the next academic year. Indeed, it seems to be generally acknowledged that students will need all the support they can get once they return to face to face tuition.

Beyond that, the likely requirement to social distance means it is very hard to imagine any increase in the pupil teacher ratio. In fact the logic would suggest that, despite the huge fiscal hit to the economy, the government would be looking to recruit more teachers.

There is a general political consensus too that austerity is not the answer on this occasion, that it is both possible and desirable for the government to borrow in the short to medium term and, in addition, the EU has stepped up with mechanisms to allow member states to do so. In short, given that education is an absolutely essential service and there is no appetite to depress the economy further, I would be very optimistic for teachers' prospects and job security over the next few years.

On a final note, the public health advice to stay away from work with any respiratory infection means that our sick leave arrangements should be significantly eased and this will create cover opportunities for NQTs who don't otherwise secure posts or for teachers under full hours. So, looking at the facts of the situation as we know it, there is no basis currently to imagine that employment prospects over the next few years will be worse than before.

Advertisement