Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance for PME

Options
  • 03-04-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice on Back to Education Allowance while doing the PME...

I've been offered a place on the Postgraduate Master of Education starting in September.
    I already have a Level 8 Degree in Law, but as that cannot be taught at secondary school I had to do a Higher Diploma in a subject that could be taught in secondary school, in my case I did a Hdip in History.

When I did the Hdip last year I applied for the BTEA but was refused because I was not on the dole long enough.

Now I see on the website that you can receive the BTEA if you are doing the PME, which I will be, but there is a single sentence right at the end which is worrying me: "you will not be eligible for the BTEA if you already hold a postgraduate qualification."

Will I not be eligible now because of the Hdip in History? Even though I wouldn't have got a place on the PME without the Hdip in history!

It's very concerning. I'd be counting on that money as I would have to be going to and from Galway for lectures and then teaching training in a school somewhere.

Obviously I could just leave out that I have a Hdip on my application form for the BTEA and just put in my original degree, but I'm sure they have a way of finding these things out.
    I know September is a long way away, but the chances of me getting a job to fund it are very low now due to economy collapsing and the limited hours I could work which puts off employers.

Has anyone here been through a similar situation?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Sent you a message . Yes they make an exception for the PME when you already hold a postgrad qualification.

Edited : Higher diploma in History ( like an add on subject) is usually a level 8 , and treated as undergrad degree level anyway so should be no issue either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I don't know if I would pursue a PME in secondary (in Ireland anyway) with the sole subject of History...You may be faced with further long term unemployment!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭doc22

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Sent you a message . Yes they make an exception for the PME when you already hold a postgrad qualification.

Edited : Higher diploma in History ( like an add on subject) is usually a level 8 , and treated as undergrad degree level anyway so should be no issue either way.

apart from Springboard there are no other circumstances where BTEA can be approved where the DEASP Customer already holds a postgraduate qualification.

A higher diploma is definitely classed as a post grad. Sure under BTEA you can do a higher diploma or PME as postgrad.

Advertisement