Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redeployment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whereisgalway, please take your contributions elsewhere.
    This forum will not be used to belittle people teachers work alongside.
    Don't bother us for a week, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It does look like there’s going to have to be redeployment into the nursing homes going by this

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-almost-100-staff-and-residents-in-one-nursing-home-test-positive-d%C3%A1il-hears-1.4219102

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It does look like there’s going to have to be redeployment into the nursing homes going by this

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-almost-100-staff-and-residents-in-one-nursing-home-test-positive-d%C3%A1il-hears-1.4219102

I can't see teachers or SNAs agreeing to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Am I understanding this new rte article correctly? Are they putting a freeze on any new SNAs next September? They terrify us with all this reallocation talk to high risk areas and then a day later say our new SNA allocations are the first to get the axe. I must be imagining this or reading it wrong, they surely can't have that level of neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Am I understanding this new rte article correctly? Are they putting a freeze on any new SNAs next September? They terrify us with all this reallocation talk to high risk areas and then a day later say our new SNA allocations are the first to get the axe. I must be imagining this or reading it wrong, they surely can't have that level of neck.

What new SNA allocations?

• Advertisement

We generally get a number of new SNAs every year dependant on new students in Vs old students out on top of retirements etc.

We generally get a number of new SNAs every year dependant on new students in Vs old students out on top of retirements etc.

You could also lose SNAs on that basis.

There were no allocations made for this year as they were supposed to be bringing in a new system which has now been kicked to touch.

Schools will retain their current number of SNAs for the moment with the option of applying for extra if warranted.

Edit/ This was all explained in the article on RTE.

You could also lose SNAs on that basis.

There were no allocations made for this year as they were supposed to be bringing in a new system which has now been kicked to touch.

Schools will retain their current number of SNAs for the moment with the option of applying for extra if warranted.

Edit/ This was all explained in the article on RTE.

So if a school needs a new SNA with new students coming in or current SNAs retiring the system should work as normal? My understanding from the article was that all current SNAs are being kept but they aren't bringing anyone new in, "frozen" as is. Again I could be picking up on this wrong but everything is so confused these last couple of days with regards to SNAs.

So if a school needs a new SNA with new students coming in or current SNAs retiring the system should work as normal? My understanding from the article was that all current SNAs are being kept but they aren't bringing anyone new in, "frozen" as is. Again I could be picking up on this wrong but everything is so confused these last couple of days with regards to SNAs.

You obviously stopped reading half way through the article.

You obviously stopped reading half way through the article.

Helpful, I admitted I could have the story wrong and asked for clarification if I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Just going back to my primary school for a moment with 220 students in an urban area.

Background - All mainstream classrooms have set up Google Classrooms and upload a workpack on a Monday morning at 9am that will last the week. Kids and parents are then in contact with the teachers on this platform for questions, advice, corrections etc.

On Wednesday I had an off the record chat over the phone with our Deputy Principal about the current situation and he was totally and utterly exasperated with the Special Ed Teachers in our school. He told me that they had to all extents and purposes had gone into hiding since the school closures and were contributing practically zero to keeping the show on the road.

However, when the rumours started to circulate about redeployment he said his phone never stopped ringing with the Special Ed Teachers offering their help and support. He was absolutely raging. In fact their "contributions" have now ended up giving more work to the mainstream teacher!!

Obviously this is not the case across the board and I would hope that the school I work in is the exception rather than the norm but this is the situation on the ground in one particular school.

Fresh Garda vetting forms are being sent to SNAs from HSE as part of this redeployment. Apparently we are all being vetted as "healthcare assistants".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just going back to my primary school for a moment with 220 students in an urban area.

Background - All mainstream classrooms have set up Google Classrooms and upload a workpack on a Monday morning at 9am that will last the week. Kids and parents are then in contact with the teachers on this platform for questions, advice, corrections etc.

On Wednesday I had an off the record chat over the phone with our Deputy Principal about the current situation and he was totally and utterly exasperated with the Special Ed Teachers in our school. He told me that they had to all extents and purposes had gone into hiding since the school closures and were contributing practically zero to keeping the show on the road.

However, when the rumours started to circulate about redeployment he said his phone never stopped ringing with the Special Ed Teachers offering their help and support. He was absolutely raging. In fact their "contributions" have now ended up giving more work to the mainstream teacher!!

Obviously this is not the case across the board and I would hope that the school I work in is the exception rather than the norm but this is the situation on the ground in one particular school.

Is your set up the norm for primary school? I ask because in the primary school my child attends, on the 12th March, all students got a list of work they could do for 3 weeks. There was no obligation on them only to do what they could.
    There's no monitoring of if the children are doing it, only the parents to keep tabs.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is your set up the norm for primary school? I ask because in the primary school my child attends, on the 12th March, all students got a list of work they could do for 3 weeks. There was no obligation on them only to do what they could.
    There's no monitoring of if the children are doing it, only the parents to keep tabs.
    I've seen very different approaches in primary. I've seen daily work through email and things like padlet/seesaw for infants to 6th class to ansolutely no work being set.

Fresh Garda vetting forms are being sent to SNAs from HSE as part of this redeployment. Apparently we are all being vetted as "healthcare assistants".

Forsa clarified this evening that the title was an unfortunate generalised term used on the form by the agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

TheDriver wrote: »
    Forsa clarified this evening that the title was an unfortunate generalised term used on the form by the agency.

Unfortunate as right. I know we are living in strange times but lack of communication and explanation is understandably frightening alot of SNAs around the country. I wonder if this is a government toe dipping excercise, making these announcements and then back peddling to see how much support and reaction there is to this idea. If I was an SNA I would be seriously questioning their union, they have been in ongoing discussions with the government, but haven't really been communicating with SNAs, I'd be asking unions what the trade off is and why they are not working on the behalf of SNAs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My junior infant is getting 7-8 videos and links/suggestions a day from his primary school teacher via class dojo. I can’t get near doing all of them but he does really like the morning prayer one, not the prayer bit at all but she calls the roll and does the day/weather etc

TheDriver wrote: »

It can be an "unfortunate generalised term" all it wants but I won't be filling it up, I am an SNA and I work for the department of education. I have no idea what signing that little piece of paper means for me down the line. I'll do their questionnaire (that asks zero pertinent questions or leaves no space to expand on what skills you have) but I sure as hell am not signing up to be a health assistant at a time like this! Are any other public servants being asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Are any other public servants being asked?

Yes they are and have already been reassigned. They have been told it is a 3 month assignment.

Millem wrote: »
    Yes they are and have already been reassigned. They have been told it is a 3 month assignment.

Who else was asked to do this questionnaire and fill out a vetting form to effectively make them healthcare assitants? Where are they getting reassigned to? Does this 12 week redeployment take contracted holidays into account or not?

• Advertisement

Who else was asked to do this questionnaire and fill out a vetting form to effectively make them healthcare assitants? Where are they getting reassigned to? Does this 12 week redeployment take contracted holidays into account or not?

I am not sure re holidays. I know some staff who work with children in residential care have been redeployed to swabbing. They had a qualification in nursing but were not employed as nurses with the hse. Other friends who are physiotherapists and social workers have been redeployed to screening...(data entry).
    I presume all had to fill out a survey to match their skills up with new assignments.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Firbolg

Wow.

Your attitude, at a time the this, truly beggers belief.

Firbolg wrote: »
    Wow.

Your attitude, at a time the this, truly beggers belief.

My attitude is that I wish to still have my family who is high risk by my side the other side of this calamity, if that annoys people, or makes people think I'm selfish they can go fly!

I will clarify, I will happily work from home to help in anyway I possibly can, wether that's admin work for the HSE, social protection or my own department of education, I will happily do that. If I'm asked to work with my students remotely I will be delighted as I miss them. But I will not put my family at risk doing a job I am unqualified and completely unskilled in for some notion of "heroics" or "doing the right thing"

My attitude is that I wish to still have my family who is high risk by my side the other side of this calamity, if that annoys people, or makes people think I'm selfish they can go fly!

I will clarify, I will happily work from home to help in anyway I possibly can, wether that's admin work for the HSE, social protection or my own department of education, I will happily do that. If I'm asked to work with my students remotely I will be delighted as I miss them. But I will not put my family at risk doing a job I am unqualified and completely unskilled in for some notion of "heroics" or "doing the right thing"

No one I know who have been reassigned have been given the option of working from home. Two have small children. One is a single parent and the other one is married to a front line worker. One has had to use a fair amount parental leave as she does not have childcare.
    The single parent is sending her child to a childminder every day....not ideal and I am sure it’s not recommended but if she doesn’t go in she will not get paid.

Just to add though it does say on the faq info I received from TUI there may be an option of working from home.

Be very cautious about the holidays card. It has come up before that there's a different between being on holidays Vs school is closed so you've no work to go to.

No one I know who have been reassigned have been given the option of working from home. Two have small children. One is a single parent and the other one is married to a front line worker. One has had to use a fair amount parental leave as she does not have childcare.
    The single parent is sending her child to a childminder every day....not ideal and I am sure it’s not recommended but if she doesn’t go in she will not get paid.

Just to add though it does say on the faq info I received from TUI there may be an option of working from home.

You said some of your friends had qualifications in nursing, which would at least give them some idea of medical work, and some degree of competency in that field. As for your friends doing data entry, why can't that be done from a pc at home? Seems the smart way to go given the lockdown at the moment.

You said some of your friends had qualifications in nursing, which would at least give them some idea of medical work, and some degree of competency in that field. As for your friends doing data entry, why can't that be done from a pc at home? Seems the smart way to go given the lockdown at the moment.

The data entry can only be done in screen centre apparently. The information is personal data. Neither of the two girls with small children are complaining. If they don’t go in they don’t get paid end of story.

The staff with the nursing qualifications were not employed as nurses. But are reassigned now. They have all being giving training.

What qualifications does a sna have?

I really don’t think snas or teachers getting reassigned will have a leg to stand on if they complain. They will not get any support from the public.

The data entry can only be done in screen centre apparently. The information is personal data. Neither of the two girls with small children are complaining. If they don’t go in they don’t get paid end of story.

The staff with the nursing qualifications were not employed as nurses. But are reassigned now. They have all being giving training.

What qualifications does a sna have?

I really don’t think snas or teachers getting reassigned will have a leg to stand on if they complain. They will not get any support from the public.

Have teachers received new vetting to become "healthcare assistants", not the teachers I'm friends with! And there would be war if it was done. I am a fully qualified special needs assistant, I have first aid training and have previous qualifications in programming and computing. All data entry can be done remotely if in emergency.

And as for the public, what about every other sector and employee now pulling in the 350 a week (not far off what I get paid btw) can they not be put into a database for redeployment? Surely they have skills.

Have teachers received new vetting to become "healthcare assistants", not the teachers I'm friends with! And there would be war if it was done. I am a fully qualified special needs assistant, I have first aid training and have previous qualifications in programming and computing. All data entry can be done remotely if in emergency.

And as for the public, what about every other sector and employee now pulling in the 350 a week (not far off what I get paid btw) can they not be put into a database for redeployment? Surely they have skills.

That is great that you have qualifications in first aid. Hopefully they will be put to good use.

I don’t know anything about teachers getting redeployed only the info I get off tui. I am providing online tuition for all my classes.

I am sure that the people “pulling” €350 a week would love to be in a position where will be have a job to go to in September and not forgetting July and August. I know my own family member would be of that opinion as she was let go this week.

As of last Friday the banks were in the middle of processing 28,000 mortgage breaks for people who I presume are “pulling” the €350. I presume the figure is more now.....that is the reality of what is happening out there.

• Advertisement

Since closure, teachers should have been preparing and giving work to students including corrections. Unfortunately some are not but as a majority, we are. Now that the minister is going to look for work continuing, this means teachers will be expected to continue in their roles.
    It wouldn't be inconceivable if we see a number of complaints officially come to light about certain teachers who did nothing over the past few weeks.
    SNAs, like cleaners/caretakers/bus assistants etc are considered to have no work with full pay since school closure and hence are ear marked for redeployment. It could mean labelling bottles/taking details/working with people at a test centre who need extra care etc.
    I'd be very cautious about refusing. If in doubt, be guided by your union.

Advertisement