Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-03-2020, 15:01   #1
VonLuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 957
Shaver lights not working

Hoping you can help me with what I hope is a relatively straight forward problem.

I moved into a new place recently and have two shaver lights in two separate bathrooms. Both of the lights weren't working when I moved in, so I eventually got round to replacing the bulbs. However, this has not fixed the problem.

I figure it is very unlikely that both of the fixtures are broken and that I'm just missing something simple.

All the trip switches are up in the fuse box and the cover to the bulb is back in place, so it's neither of those. Could it be an internal fuse or what could be the cause?
VonLuck is offline  
Advertisement
30-03-2020, 15:07   #2
Hannibal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,770
Next step would be to check if there's power going to the individual fittings, preferably done with a multimeter
Hannibal is offline  
30-03-2020, 15:12   #3
maestroamado
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 893
It could be anything, you did not say if the shaving socket is working.
If it is it likely be simple, there is no fuse in anything i have seen..
maestroamado is offline  
30-03-2020, 15:35   #4
VonLuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroamado View Post
It could be anything, you did not say if the shaving socket is working.
If it is it likely be simple, there is no fuse in anything i have seen..
I don't have an electric shave which I can plug in to test unfortunately. Would a voltage tester be worth investing in to check?

Also, I have next to zero knowledge of all things electrical, but is it possible that the socket could work but the light doesn't? Are they on separate circuits?
VonLuck is offline  
30-03-2020, 15:48   #5
Alun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,208
On mine there's a little hidden push switch that's activated by a plastic part on the inside of the light cover, and without the cover on, the light won't turn on. Maybe that's broken off, or maybe the switch is broken?
Alun is offline  
Advertisement
30-03-2020, 15:56   #6
maestroamado
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLuck View Post
I don't have an electric shave which I can plug in to test unfortunately. Would a voltage tester be worth investing in to check?

Also, I have next to zero knowledge of all things electrical, but is it possible that the socket could work but the light doesn't? Are they on separate circuits?

I think there is a good chance they are not wired at all.
I have often seen people buy these units and never connect them up.
The only way you will know for sure without removing is if you have attic above the wires be coming down directly above.
There are devices you can buy to detect but its only professionals

need these.
Voltage tester an option but the terminals in these devices hard to access with same.
To answer Q, all on same circuit but it could be witch, loose wire, loop wire not connected.
I'm betting they not wired at all...

Last edited by maestroamado; 30-03-2020 at 15:59. Reason: more
maestroamado is offline  
30-03-2020, 16:04   #7
VonLuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
On mine there's a little hidden push switch that's activated by a plastic part on the inside of the light cover, and without the cover on, the light won't turn on. Maybe that's broken off, or maybe the switch is broken?
I thought that as well, but all the plastic bits of the light cover are intact and no clear signs that there is a broken switch, although I don't know exactly what it looks like. Would be strange that two different lights have the same broken switch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroamado View Post
I think there is a good chance they are not wired at all.
I have often seen people buy these units and never connect them up.
The only way you will know for sure without removing is if you have attic above the wires be coming down directly above.
There are devices you can buy to detect but its only professionals

need these.
Voltage tester an option but the terminals in these devices hard to access with same.
To answer Q, all on same circuit but it could be witch, loose wire, loop wire not connected.
I'm betting they not wired at all...
Well it's in an apartment block so would have thought these were all wired when they were built. There are two screws behind the bulb fixing it to the wall. I guess I could remove these and check the wiring behind? I probably should turn off all the power at the fuse box first though.
VonLuck is offline  
30-03-2020, 16:15   #8
Alun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLuck View Post
I thought that as well, but all the plastic bits of the light cover are intact and no clear signs that there is a broken switch, although I don't know exactly what it looks like. Would be strange that two different lights have the same broken switch though.
Here's the switch on mine ... (click the thumbnail to expand)



As you say though it's unlikely they would both break in the same way.
Alun is offline  
30-03-2020, 16:23   #9
VonLuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
Here's the switch on mine ... (click the thumbnail to expand)



As you say though it's unlikely they would both break in the same way.
Well I don't have a switch like that, although I just noticed that the cover to the light has 4 plastic clips that go into their respective holes on the light fixture itself. Two of the holes seem to have metal connectors internally and the corresponding plastic clips on the cover are slightly different to the other two clips (shorter). I'm not sure if they're meant to be shorter or if in fact they've broken off and are not switching the light on.

Are there lights that operate this way or am I way off?
VonLuck is offline  
Advertisement
30-03-2020, 16:27   #10
Alun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLuck View Post
Well I don't have a switch like that, although I just noticed that the cover to the light has 4 plastic clips that go into their respective holes on the light fixture itself. Two of the holes seem to have metal connectors internally and the corresponding plastic clips on the cover are slightly different to the other two clips (shorter). I'm not sure if they're meant to be shorter or if in fact they've broken off and are not switching the light on.

Are there lights that operate this way or am I way off?
Are the two short clips on one edge of the cover , and the two longer ones on the other edge? If so, does the cover go on one way only, or will it also go on if you rotate it by 180 degrees?
Alun is offline  
30-03-2020, 16:31   #11
VonLuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
Are the two short clips on one edge of the cover , and the two longer ones on the other edge? If so, does the cover go on one way only, or will it also go on if you rotate it by 180 degrees?
They are on diagonal corners and the cover only really goes on one way.
VonLuck is offline  
30-03-2020, 16:35   #12
tphase
Registered User
 
tphase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 658
I had to install one of these recently. The translucent cover had to be in place in the correct orientation for the light to work and it was a bloody fiddly job to get it in. The hidden switch was actuated by one (or more) of the tabs on the cover
tphase is offline  
30-03-2020, 17:01   #13
VonLuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 957
This is the exact one I have, if it's of any help: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Selectric-L.../dp/B006E0L7XO
VonLuck is offline  
30-03-2020, 17:36   #14
tphase
Registered User
 
tphase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLuck View Post
This is the exact one I have, if it's of any help: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Selectric-L.../dp/B006E0L7XO
that one looks very similar shape-wise to what I got but the cover on mine is push-fit. That one seems to have 4 screws to hold the cover which is a better job
tphase is offline  
30-03-2020, 17:49   #15
VonLuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 957
Problem solved! The clips were actually fine, but noticed that a tiny bit of white plastic had broken off both lights which prevented the clips from clipping. I just wrapped a bit of tape around each connector so that it would wedge in and both are working fine now.

Thanks for the help!
VonLuck is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet