Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial insurance

Options
  • 27-03-2020 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all, i'm new here..

i'm just starting up my own mobile catering (food trailer) business, and i'm finding it impossible to get van insurance. as soon as they hear anything to do with catering they (figuratively) slam the door in my face. apparently most insurance companies will only provide commercial insurance for those within the building and farming industrihes?

two further difficulties i have are that I am under 25 (23), and only have 1 year NCB.

anyone have experience getting insurance as a mobile caterer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wollawonga

the other option i'm yet to look into thoroughly is getting private insurance for my van. is this likely to be much more expensive than commercial insurance? (i got a quote for 1500 before they refused me...)

i'm guessing i'd have to tax it privately then as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Try Ben McArdle insurance brokers. A friend of mine got cover with them for a food van. He was over 30 though with full bonus so you could face an uphill battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

wollawonga wrote: »
    hi all, i'm new here..

i'm just starting up my own mobile catering (food trailer) business, and i'm finding it impossible to get van insurance. as soon as they hear anything to do with catering they (figuratively) slam the door in my face. apparently most insurance companies will only provide commercial insurance for those within the building and farming industrihes?

two further difficulties i have are that I am under 25 (23), and only have 1 year NCB.

There's a process you can follow if you can't get a quote. You have to Contact the Declined Cases committee

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money/insurance/car-insurance/#refused

Don't get private insurance for commercial use as you'll be wasting your money, if you have a claim they'll only pay the 3rd party and then chase you through the courts for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

wollawonga wrote: »
    hi all, i'm new here..

Either hold off until you hit 25 and build up at least two years NCB (might not be the worst plan given that the business will be very tough this year) or else the declined cases committee is probably going to be your only real option.

Advertisement