Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation of Oral/Practical Exams

Options
  • 22-03-2020 2:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hello,

I would like to gauge what the consensus is regarding the cancellation of these exams. In these distressing times, I appreciate there are more pressing matters. But equally, as a student I would like to see the support amongst teachers for Joe McHugh's decision.

Many thanks

What do you make of this decision? 19 votes

The decision made is fair
    0%
    The decision made is unfair, students should be marked entirely based on the terminal exam in June
    84%
    Alquakillbillvol2sitstillcupcake queensandyxxxtheoldbreedjrmbKerrydivaRuckingSwimmerchocoholic999CaranicauserherePurefrank128Random sampleTreppenSmacruairi 16 votes
    Students should be afforded the opportunity to resit these oral exams
    15%
    solerinar93kaey5p2izunOlivia Pope 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The decision is made. Teachers contracted to the SEC will do what they are told to.

I don't think this would be the best place to get the opinions of teachers as a relatively small number post here.

The unions might be a better bet for a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

The decision made is unfair, students should be marked entirely based on the terminal exam in June
    I’m glad I wasn’t making a decision on this. I don’t think there is one that would keep everyone happy.

This way though, anyone who is on course for a h1, will still be on that course.

If it was decided that the written exam was worth 100% it would have meant students who were excellent at oral work would have to work harder for the written exam, and may well get a lower grade that expected.

For anyone on course for lower grades, it’s an advantage of course, but as it’s an equal advantage to all, it’s fair.

For those not doing practical subject S or languages, you could argue that they were always at a disadvantage, since they don’t have a large component out of the way in March/April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Agree that it was the only option left.

Not the answer you wanted OP but honestly the several days you've spent posting about it would be better spent going through official channels if you're that unhappy. That is if you are actually a student.

Advertisement