Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing electric heating in 2nd hand house

Options
  • 20-03-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭

Hi
    A family member is purchasing a second hand house - a small (65 sqm) 2 bed mid terrace house.

No gas supply to the estate, it's all electric heating.

The sellers have removed all old electric radiators so it's bare walls.

Would someone be able to give me some sort of idea of what total cost of installation of electric radiators for 2 beds, kitchen, small dining, bathroom would be? So perhaps 5 or 6 smallish rads.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

You would have to give the sq. Meters of each room and what supplies they all have for the rads some some rooms if not all will have storage heating supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi Keith
    There are no storage heaters, it's all blank walls. It's a 65sqm house so small everything really.

A supplier I rang today told me (based on measurements for individual rooms) said I would need:

kitchen 770w, dining 990w, bed1 - 770w, bed2 - 990w, bath 500w rail.

It looked like very roughly about €3k for the rads and I don't know about installation but doesn't look too difficult.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Have you looked at the BER report for the house ?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Hi
    A family member is purchasing a second hand house - a small (65 sqm) 2 bed mid terrace house.

No gas supply to the estate, it's all electric heating.

The sellers have removed all old electric radiators so it's bare walls.

Would someone be able to give me some sort of idea of what total cost of installation of electric radiators for 2 beds, kitchen, small dining, bathroom would be? So perhaps 5 or 6 smallish rads.

Thanks!

Might be worth considering a reverse cycle ducted system. Installation would be more expensive(no idea on cost sorry) but running costs would be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

A supplier I rang today told me (based on measurements for individual rooms) said I would need:
    kitchen 770w, dining 990w, bed1 - 770w, bed2 - 990w, bath 500w rail.

Meaningless without knowing the construction, insulation, exposure, perimeter area ratio etc. or a more simply a BER. Its a false economy putting €3000 into dinosaur radiators costing up to 4 times the price of oil/heatpump to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Very very good time to go with External insulation.

If your neighbours are extravigant with their heat, then yours will be almost free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

whizbang wrote: »
    Very very good time to go with External insulation.

If your neighbours are extravigant with their heat, then yours will be almost free.

Why a very good time?

Hi all and thanks for comments.

From what I gather BER is D2. It's as said, a small mid terrace with double glazed decent windows/front door.

We really need to have a simple solution - it will be one person living there who, for various reasons, really needs an on/off solution in terms of heating, and is very cost conscious so cost is not the overriding concern. From what I gather, the house in question previously had this solution but the rads were old and taken out.

When we viewed the house in early March on a cold enough day, it wasn't cold in the house despite no heating, so I am hopeful that it is reasonably insulated, it would be a development from around 1995 I would say.

So, back to original question, if the rads are got, from what I now gather they come with templates and can be plugged in pretty much. Is this an expensive installation job? Thanks again for your views on this.

ps - this is an example of the proposed radiators, in case anyone has views!

https://www.click4electrics.co.uk/rointe-electric-radiators-c-229_292_948/rointe-kri0770rad3-kyros-7-elements-electric-radiator-770w-p-8532?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9tbzBRDVARIsAMBplx_0AEwSInnxNZu6y4NL0Q3MTpYYgwwvHvN4r6q2k3GS4E0Ce6ngI-EaAl7REALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

basically go with a cheap expensive to run option , or more money up front and way cheaper to run...

If the old pipes are still there, and its a case of new boiler, rads and power flush. Oil is dirt cheap at the moment...

or at back of the house, put in air to air heat pump. I take it an immersion tank heats the domestic hot water currently?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    basically go with a cheap expensive to run option , or more money up front and way cheaper to run...

If the old pipes are still there, and its a case of new boiler, rads and power flush. Oil is dirt cheap at the moment...

or at back of the house, put in air to air heat pump. I take it an immersion tank heats the domestic hot water currently?

Thanks. Sorry, I'm confused a bit. Which "old pipes" are we talking about? Yes, I believe there is a new immersion tank. So I was thinking nothing about power flushes and oil, just plugging in electric radiators! Am I missing a bigger picture?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Sorry, I'm confused a bit. Which "old pipes" are we talking about? Yes, I believe there is a new immersion tank. So I was thinking nothing about power flushes and oil, just plugging in electric radiators! Am I missing a bigger picture?

the bedroom the person occupies, is that at front or back of house? if at back, you could put air to air heat pump in... and use that to heat back rooms.

oh sorrry Op I thought I read that there was an old wet based system in the property for heating , then replaced by electric rads, that have now been taken out...

Thanks Idbatterim. Those air to air heat pumps are obviously more efficient, but I presume there is an upfront cost - given total cost of rads is €3-4k, and I presume a pump system would be significant, I was thinking along the 'cheap expensive to run option'. Cost is the issue right now as opposed to long term bills...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would OFCH or a heat pump be options?
    There was SEAI grants available for them iirc.

Those electric radiators were pretty crap and expensive to run in my past experiences .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Oil Radiator's in living area's and panel heaters in bedroom's are cheapest option. On jebbtools at present 1KW panel heaters are about 100 euro each. 1.5KW oil Radiator's are about 300 each.

There are other online sites just shop around. Op you said that the existing electric heating was removed. Are the old electric heating switches in position. If so it an easy job to mount and connect electric heaters if you have any electrical experience. If not and you decide to hire an electrician you can mount the on the wall and get him to connect them.

Depends on how much work you decide to let the electrician do the total job materials and labour should be in the thousand to fifteen hundred euro bracket.

Slava Ukrainii

Oil Radiator's in living area's and panel heaters in bedroom's are cheapest option. On jebbtools at present 1KW panel heaters are about 100 euro each. 1.5KW oil Radiator's are about 300 each.

There are other online sites just shop around. Op you said that the existing electric heating was removed. Are the old electric heating switches in position. If so it an easy job to mount and connect electric heaters if you have any electrical experience. If not and you decide to hire an electrician you can mount the on the wall and get him to connect them.

Depends on how much work you decide to let the electrician do the total job materials and labour should be in the thousand to fifteen hundred euro bracket.

Thanks Bass. Someone else recommended these, which include installation. These are different than what you refer to as oil radiators or the same? (Sorry, I'm quite clueless on these thing).
    https://www.electricheatingsolutions.ie/atc-sunray-prices

I don't know about the old heating switches, will have to check - it is only sale agreed at moment so no access.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Would OFCH or a heat pump be options?
    There was SEAI grants available for them iirc.

Those electric radiators were pretty crap and expensive to run in my past experiences .

No option yabadabado but thanks.

ILL link up to something I am looking at myself as an option when on desktop of shortly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Thanks Bass. Someone else recommended these, which include installation. These are different than what you refer to as oil radiators or the same? (Sorry, I'm quite clueless on these thing).
    https://www.electricheatingsolutions.ie/atc-sunray-prices

I don't know about the old heating switches, will have to check - it is only sale agreed at moment so no access.

No option yabadabado but thanks.

They are much the same. From what I can see they are oil filled Radiator's and there are panel heaters on the site as well. All electric heaters are much the. Same most of the difference is astectic the actual efficiency is no different. Most have now moved away from storage type heaters to oil filled radiators and panel heaters in the bedroom's.
    Even if there are no switches in the rooms you can wall mount the electric heaters and put a three pin plug on them and work them that way. Most electric heaters have timers on them now so you can set them to come on and off automatically. How this is only import in bedroom's for the morning and for living area's when you come home from work. You can also switch on and off manually.

For 3k you get a pellet stove put into your living area. These are now air driven and will heT large area's. You could still go with panel heaters in bathroom and bedrooms. Bathroom is only issue as you need a safe connection in there that is controlled from outside the bathroom or by a cord switch.

Slava Ukrainii

If it's an on off system your looking for and they are cost conscious as you say then most likely you'll find they won't turn on the heating after they get their December/January leccy bill of €500‐€600* .

Which is absolutely fine of course assuming they are not elderly and don't have any health issues.

Sadly when running costs are high people tend to put money above their own comfort and health.

*D2 is 220kwh/m2/year

Times that by 65 m2 = 14300kwh

The lions share of that will be space heating.

Assuming you get dual tariff meter installed and shop around / change providers every year to get the best tarriff. And keep heating to 60/40 day night rate thatsannual leccy bill of around 2100 euro. If you don't shop around 2500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If it's an on off system your looking for and they are cost conscious as you say then most likely you'll find they won't turn on the heating after they get their December/January leccy bill of €500‐€600* .

Which is absolutely fine of course assuming they are not elderly and don't have any health issues.

Sadly when running costs are high people tend to put money above their own comfort and health.

So true...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

Thanks Idbatterim. Those air to air heat pumps are obviously more efficient, but I presume there is an upfront cost - given total cost of rads is €3-4k, and I presume a pump system would be significant, I was thinking along the 'cheap expensive to run option'. Cost is the issue right now as opposed to long term bills...

An air to air heat pump would cost under 2k and would be installed in a few hours. I got one in my 65m2 two bed house a couple of winters ago as a replacement for electric radiators and I'm very happy with it. I kept the panel heaters in the bedrooms and use them when the weather is particularly cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who did the work or was it a self install?

Who did the work or was it a self install?

A company who handles refrigeration/air-conditioning supplied and fitted the unit. Legally you have to get a qualified person to commission these things as they contain a chemical which requires certification.

I can DM you their details if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Please do, it's something I've been thinking about.

ercork wrote: »
    An air to air heat pump would cost under 2k and would be installed in a few hours. I got one in my 65m2 two bed house a couple of winters ago as a replacement for electric radiators and I'm very happy with it. I kept the panel heaters in the bedrooms and use them when the weather is particularly cold.

Is it ducted or split?

Is it ducted or split?

Mine's a split system - Mitsubishi MSZ-LN.

Advertisement