Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral and Practical exams cancelled for LC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

https://youtu.be/AnCu2_5AnaY

Hmmm... My opinions on the topic as a 6th year

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Under the circumstances, nax, I doubt people will be allowed to suddenly opt to change to HL when they were registered for OL. Yes, it's normally been possible to do this, but these circumstances are not normal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The marking of the written paper will differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Under the circumstances, nax, I doubt people will be allowed to suddenly opt to change to HL when they were registered for OL. Yes, it's normally been possible to do this, but these circumstances are not normal.

They won't, that was in the email that came out from the SEC. Students can drop from Higher to Ordinary, but not go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Zagreb Ebnem Zloty Diev

spurious wrote: »

Would it not make more sense to simply disregard the oral component instead of handing out 100% to all candidates? And instead mark the students out of the aural and written paper.

The oral component is a signifigant chunk of the exam, will this not give unfair LC points to language students against those not doing a language or against students who are reapplying to college a year later?

I did German, French, Irish and Spanish for my LC in 2008. Imagine the advantage I would have had :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Would it not make more sense to simply disregard the oral component instead of handing out 100% to all candidates? And instead mark the students out of the aural and written paper.

The oral component is a signifigant chunk of the exam, will this not give unfair LC points to language students against those not doing a language or against students who are reapplying to college a year later?

I did German, French, Irish and Spanish for my LC in 2008. Imagine the advantage I would have had :pac::pac:

We don't know what's coming for the other subjects yet. The same has happened for LC Music, and the practical there is 50%.

I would imagine that anyone who is reapplying with results from a previous year could be awarded the 40% component in Irish and have their grade naturally adjusted to compensate. There are a lot of things we don't know yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I just can't understand why they decided to award 100% instead of cancelling it out. The written paper can't differentiate if literally no one can fail Irish now. :confused: Yes it's unfortunate, and who knows if the written parts will even happen, but this doesn't even the playing field at all, it just skews the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

Canard wrote: »
    I just can't understand why they decided to award 100% instead of cancelling it out. The written paper can't differentiate if literally no one can fail Irish now. :confused: Yes it's unfortunate, and who knows if the written parts will even happen, but this doesn't even the playing field at all, it just skews the data.

I have a feeling the leaving will be cancelled altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

Because there will still be the bell shaped curve and students will still achieve the higher end of the results based on their written paper.

This rules out court cases and other potential issues which may arise if they were not to award the pass and certain students were to fail the exams. It's a prudent choice, if a student has been studying to achieve good marks in the oral exam and hasn't studied for the written paper then they will still pass and get the 40%. It's obviously still not ideal/fair on people who did study, but again, it does prevent the potential for the SEC to be sued by students.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    Because there will still be the bell shaped curve and students will still achieve the higher end of the results based on their written paper.

This rules out court cases and other potential issues which may arise if they were not to award the pass and certain students were to fail the exams. It's a prudent choice, if a student has been studying to achieve good marks in the oral exam and hasn't studied for the written paper then they will still pass and get the 40%. It's obviously still not ideal/fair on people who did study, but again, it does prevent the potential for the SEC to be sued by students.

Yeah, I guess in a society as litigious as ours, that’s why they did this. Amazing how people don’t see the implications this would have on standardising the exams. Pathetic really.

I’m annoyed as it means that the marking schemes for these subjects will not assess people fairly, rather they will just aim to drive the grades down. It’s impossible to know what could be penalised and what can’t be penalised.

• Advertisement

Going on last years statistics only 3.7% got a H7 in Higher Level Irish (which is a pass since the new grading system came in) and 0.4% got a H8. So it's not exactly a huge number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

Going on last years statistics only 3.7% got a H7 in Higher Level Irish (which is a pass since the new grading system came in) and 0.4% got a H8. So it's not exactly a huge number of people.

Yeah, I hope that it wouldn’t affect the H2/H1 students that much as they would probably do very well in the orals anyway.

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    You're probably right about the SEC factoring this in, especially after last year.

I also think McHugh would have seen it as the option likely to garner the least backlash.
    c_f_p99 wrote: »
    Yeah, I hope that it wouldn’t affect the H2/H1 students that much as they would probably do very well in the orals anyway.
    I honestly don't see it affecting the higher grades people at all, unless maybe some poor cratur who can chatter in Irish nineteen to the dozen but has ferocious spelling so tends to do less well on written exams, they might slip slightly. They'll be few and far between though.

The automatic pass bit does stick in my craw a bit still, but the more I think about it, the less it annoys me tbh.

I'm certainly glad the orals are cancelled, both because it reduces stress on students and because it reduces potential COVID-19 transmission vectors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

We must discuss this very urgent matter that I'm sure is at the forefront of students' minds at the moment. I've made this thread for discussion concerning this subject matter only.

Should it come to it, we may well see the curation of a new forum dedicated to the discussion of this injustice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You're going a bit over the top now.
    Nothing is going to happen to change the decision.

Moving this thread to the appropriate forum. Local charter applies.

Please don't post about this issue in the Teaching Forum again.

Given that there was already a thread on this topic in this forum, I have merged the threads. - MOD
    Lc2020 wrote: »
    We must discuss this very urgent matter that I'm sure is at the forefront of students' minds at the moment. I've made this thread for discussion concerning this subject matter only.
    I suspect that whether or when the LC will take place is more likely to be at the forefront of their minds.
    Should it come to it, we may well see the curation of a new forum dedicated to the discussion of this injustice.
    No.

We won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I have just been sent this by a friend of mine....a website outlining a proposal to cancel the leaving cert...... Set up by the winner of BT young scientist exhibition....I'll let ye see it for yourselves :/

www.cancelthelc.com

Shn99 wrote: »
    I have just been sent this by a friend of mine....a website outlining a proposal to cancel the leaving cert...... Set up by the winner of BT young scientist exhibition....I'll let ye see it for yourselves :/

www.cancelthelc.com

Not willing to put their names to it I see. I don't think it's worth the paper it's written on myself.

Not willing to put their names to it I see. I don't think it's worth the paper it's written on myself.

Riddled with spelling mistakes too, is it any wonder they are proponents of this terrible idea.

No other country is going through with state exams this year. Ireland just has to be different.

So are you FOR cancelling the LC, or AGAINST it? Because honestly, you don't seem to be consistent at all.

And if you're for it, what measures would YOU propose for dealing with college entry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 swejaysus

In fairness, they have a point. It'd be ridiculous to go ahead with the exams when students likely won't have been in school since three months before at the least. Add to that the chances that they could get this virus from being in these crowded exam halls and you've got a recipe for disaster. Don't know about predicted grades but ridiculous carry on risking all this for the sake of a few exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tristan_

www.cancelthelc.com

As a current 6th year student I would probably gouge my eyes out if this was implemented. My personal highlight, extracted from the "FAQs" section, is:
    What if I take subjects outside of school?
    If you are being taught the subject by a registered teacher, they should be able to predict you a grade using the same procedure as a class teacher. If this is not the case, you should be given the opportunity to predict your own grade, which you will have to verify in an examination.

Looking forward to my post-LC cancellation LC exam to prove the H1 I've predicted for myself. Ought to go swimmingly. :pac:

Tristan_ wrote: »
    As a current 6th year student I would probably gouge my eyes out if this was implemented. My personal highlight, extracted from the "FAQs" section, is:

Looking forward to my post-LC cancellation LC exam to prove the H1 I've predicted for myself. Ought to go swimmingly. :pac:

Ya you couldn't make it up... let's cancel the exam, predict your own grade but you'll have to verify it by an exam that has been cancelled. Would love to know how many drugs these people took when they were writing this.

Following the cancellation of the Irish orals/music practicals,

Surely the construction practicals will be cancelled too?

This is ridiculous. Preposterous. Imagine giving people marks for doing nothing. They can't get away with this.

Threads on the same topic merged - again. Do not start any more separate threads on this topic. If you must rant, rant here. - MOD

Following the cancellation of the Irish orals/music practicals,

Surely the construction practicals will be cancelled too?

This is ridiculous. Preposterous. Imagine giving people marks for doing nothing. They can't get away with this.

You're whinging about exams being cancelled here, and in the other thread you are whinging about exams not being cancelled. Which is it????

Advertisement