Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base coat is lumpy on freshly plastered walls

Options
  • 08-03-2020 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I’m having my house painted, extensive renovations had been done so house is totally replastered. The painter has primed the walls with Dulux base coat. The plaster was smooth like glass but the walls now have a very rough, lumpy look. Would this be normal with a base coat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Looks like a issue with the paint. Did he mix it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

It was pre mixed I think! Planning to ask him during the week when I see him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Probably used an old roller that wasn't properly cleaned and then made a gouge with the plastic ring when the sleeve came loose.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Had these flakes in paint old and new....

Sand it lightly and go over again. Mixed it well and was still getting them the odd time.

While I was painting id use the end of the roller to just basically wipe it off, pick it off with fingers and roll over the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Had these flakes in paint old and new....

Sand it lightly and go over again. Mixed it well and was still getting them the odd time.

While I was painting id use the end of the roller to just basically wipe it off, pick it off with fingers and roll over the spot.

No way should anything resembling that come from new paint.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No way should anything resembling that come from new paint.

Can't say how long paint has been in shop but they were selling everything half price.

Had more in the paint I was using on the ceiling.

Wasn't a huge amount in the colour paint for the walls, and roller was brand new, walls sanded, filled, sanded and sugar soap clean down.

Have to say it's all in the prep the paint then looks the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Nothing to do with the paint. Everything to do with the painter. where did you get him? The gouge should have been filled. The mark in the last photo is from the edge of the roller. Walls should have been backrolled to prevent this. Texture in 1st roller is from using a long pile roller sleeve, which holds more paint but leaves a **** finish. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say , price was a big factor in this person's employment

I hope he primed the walls first.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

This man is being paid well! I sent him a message and he said something along the lines of ‘don’t look until the job is finished’

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm not a pro ,but you'll never paint out a rough surface like that , I assume it'll need to be sanded smooth , ( it'd be quick enough ) .
    Don't freak out just pass on your concern to the painter and leave them with him , he can't say he thought you wanted a textured finish ,or blame the walls at this stage ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

katie275 wrote: »
    This man is being paid well! I sent him a message and he said something along the lines of ‘don’t look until the job is finished’

Ask him if he primed the walls ( at the very least watered down the first coat). And insist on those walls being sanded smooth. I'd would be willing to bet he isn't a professional painter. If he is, he should look for another career

Advertisement