Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train the trainer course

Options
  • 08-03-2020 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

In oz there is a course called "cert 4 training and assessor" which is the qual required to teach vocational training. In Ireland you have the "train the trainer course"

Would a employer look at my cert 4 TAA or would I have to do a train the trainer as well? Is train the trainer required by any boards/organisations? And if so is there a equivalency option?

I'm a paramedic and wanting to teach first aid.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

You need to see where your cert lines up on the European Framework.

Depending on the level to which you want to teach first aid some colleges/training providers may take you on if your cert is of a high enough standard.
    WestOzpara wrote: »
    Hi all,

In oz there is a course called "cert 4 training and assessor" which is the qual required to teach vocational training. In Ireland you have the "train the trainer course"

Would a employer look at my cert 4 TAA or would I have to do a train the trainer as well? Is train the trainer required by any boards/organisations? And if so is there a equivalency option?

I'm a paramedic and wanting to teach first aid.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WestOzpara

Thanks for the reply. From what I can see it is equal to EQF level 4.
    Am I right in saying there is no governing body that regulates trainers in Ireland so if for example I didn't have a qualification in training and an organisation was happy to employ me it would be illegal?
    Here in oz if you train you need a trainers cert.

That's correct, there's no governing body, but it's not illegal to train without a cert.

No, you don't need a cert to teach, if the demand is there you can be taken on.

However, if you want the first aid you teach to hold a proper qualification than you may want to get on the PHECC register of trainers.

WestOzpara wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. From what I can see it is equal to EQF level 4.
    Am I right in saying there is no governing body that regulates trainers in Ireland so if for example I didn't have a qualification in training and an organisation was happy to employ me it would be illegal?
    Here in oz if you train you need a trainers cert.

Need to mention, the Dept. Of Education would be the Governing Body, but you would only need this for certain courses. This is the only body that recognises you as a teacher, rather than a tutor or trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Train the trainer is no longer accepted to teach further education in Ireland. You have to either have the PME/PGDE or a HDip/Postgrad Dip in further education.
    You can register with the teaching council under further education with an undergrad degree but you will have to meet conditions.
    You'll have 3 years to get a recognised teaching qualification, if you dont get your qualification within this time you lose your teaching council number.

Also, Dept of education is not governing body for further education. You will be employed by regional ETB's which are separate from the department of education and you will have teacher status if you complete one of the teaching qualifications listed above.

• Advertisement

Train the trainer is no longer accepted to teach further education in Ireland. You have to either have the PME/PGDE or a HDip/Postgrad Dip in further education.
    You can register with the teaching council under further education with an undergrad degree but you will have to meet conditions.
    You'll have 3 years to get a recognised teaching qualification, if you dont get your qualification within this time you lose your teaching council number.

Also, Dept of education is not governing body for further education. You will be employed by regional ETB's which are separate from the department of education and you will have teacher status if you complete one of the teaching qualifications listed above.

That's not true. Priority will be given to those with the qualification but teaching posts are available without it.

Depends on the subject and whether or not they can get a 'qualified' teacher. I know a couple of people who teach, without the qualification.

Plenty of people are teaching FE courses whilst they're studying the HDip., And they're teaching courses they have no qualification or experience in.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    That's not true. Priority will be given to those with the qualification but teaching posts are available without it.

Depends on the subject and whether or not they can get a 'qualified' teacher. I know a couple of people who teach, without the qualification.

Plenty of people are teaching FE courses whilst they're studying the HDip., And they're teaching courses they have no qualification or experience in.

You can only register with the teaching council for 3 years without a teaching qualification. The OP can teach for 3 years - if they get a job - but if they dont meet their conditions within the time frame they lose their registration and can no longer be employed in the sector.

The qualification guidelines for Further education teachers have only been recently implemented. Anyone wanting to work in the profession now has to meet the education requirements.

OP it varies if you are teaching low level courses or apprenticeships such as hairdressing were a third level degree isnt obtainable, or in your case first aid as a stand alone course - which is a course taught by trained and experiences staff employed by training organisations such as the Irish red cross. For a first aid course all you need to do is complete a first aid instructor course in Ireland as generally these are short, part time courses. If you want to teach a full time course or be employed by the ETB as a teacher, you will need to have a teaching qualification.

If you have experience teaching first aid in Australia, no doubt that will stand to you. As for transferring your qualification- its unlikely as the qualification framework here is different and it can be very difficult to get over seas qualifications recognized.

You can only register with the teaching council for 3 years without a teaching qualification. The OP can teach for 3 years - if they get a job - but if they dont meet their conditions within the time frame they lose their registration and can no longer be employed in the sector.

The qualification guidelines for Further education teachers have only been recently implemented. Anyone wanting to work in the profession now has to meet the education requirements.

OP it varies if you are teaching low level courses or apprenticeships such as hairdressing were a third level degree isnt obtainable, or in your case first aid as a stand alone course - which is a course taught by trained and experiences staff employed by training organisations such as the Irish red cross. For a first aid course all you need to do is complete a first aid instructor course in Ireland as generally these are short, part time courses. If you want to teach a full time course or be employed by the ETB as a teacher, you will need to have a teaching qualification.

If you have experience teaching first aid in Australia, no doubt that will stand to you. As for transferring your qualification- its unlikely as the qualification framework here is different and it can be very difficult to get over seas qualifications recognized.
    So - you're longwinded answer has confirmed what I stated earlier - the op can work without being registered as a teacher ��

I also suggested the op gets in touch with PHECC, as not all courses are run through the further education system and they can determine what he needs to do.

Advertisement