Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2020, 04:21   #1
shimmery

Strabismus Surgery/ Lazy eye advice

Hello there. I am in my 30s and I have a lazy eye, with my eye being mis-aligned slightly. I have noticed it more and more the past few years. It is also watery and often uncomfortable. To be honest, cosmetic reasons are also driving mt wish for surgery. I am living abroad but I will be returning for 2 weeks to Ireland in a month and also for 2 months during the Summer. Can anyone recommend the steps I need to take in order to access this surgery? Or can anyone recommend a hospital? It will have to be private I guess, as I don't have health insurance and I am unsure of the waiting lists on the public system. I have worked in Ireland for the last 15 years. Also has anyone any idea of the cost factor of this surgery?

Thanks a million for any help in advance
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-02-2020, 19:42   #2
Gael23

I was born with a very rare and complex eye condition and a strabismus was part of it. I have private insurance and anyway it was a number of years ago sinc my surgery so I really don’t remember the cost.
You firstly need to get a GP referral to an ophthalmologist and take it from there. I was in for 2 nights but in hindsight I should have agreed to stay longer. I have many complicating factors so I am perhaps not the best person to advise
12-05-2020, 15:10   #3
rorymagory

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmery View Post
Hello there. I am in my 30s and I have a lazy eye, with my eye being mis-aligned slightly. I have noticed it more and more the past few years. It is also watery and often uncomfortable. To be honest, cosmetic reasons are also driving mt wish for surgery. I am living abroad but I will be returning for 2 weeks to Ireland in a month and also for 2 months during the Summer. Can anyone recommend the steps I need to take in order to access this surgery? Or can anyone recommend a hospital? It will have to be private I guess, as I don't have health insurance and I am unsure of the waiting lists on the public system. I have worked in Ireland for the last 15 years. Also has anyone any idea of the cost factor of this surgery?

Thanks a million for any help in advance
I had my lazy eye 'straightened' in 2015 (in my early 30s) in the Bons in Galway. Insurance paid for it though, i think it was around 1500. PM me if you want more info. Rory

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion