Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

POTW 504: 11/1/20 - 17/1/20

• 16-02-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

THIs WEEK'S POTW GOES JOINTLY TO:

johnmcdnl
    49364640332_bb2deefa6f_c.jpg

&

PaulieC
    49374668061_4ae6df1e8c_c.jpg

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Mike Litoris
    49363283893_290c322b4b_c.jpg

Wailin
    37704794114_23c6c0bf04_c.jpg

keps
    49380445658_c23baf530d_c.jpg

Adrian.Sadlier
    49380935427_018070f0cb_c.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS johnmcdnl and PaulieC
    WELL DONE HMs

Guys, you might both give us some insight into the capturing and processing of the winning shots.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yay, a POTW at last :D

It was one of the named storms recently and just happened to grab a quick 10 minutes between showers. This was taken at the Great South Wall looking over towards Howth. The little pilot was being thrown about and looked at one stage like it was going under. Taken at 300mm, the foreshortening makes it look a lot closer than it was to the huge cargo ship coming in behind.

Thanks for the thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

This one is taken in the hills near Sa Pa in northern Vietnam.
    We were hiking to a small village where we were planning on staying the night.
    It had been a pretty cloudy day but for a short time just before the sun crossed the horizon of the top of the mountains there was a short break in the clouds.
    Just enough to get a couple of shots off.

The sky in the original shot was heavily overexposed but just enough detail there to avoid blowing it out, so there's a strong gradient applied to bring the highlights down.
    Despite the sky almost being blown out, the ground was also a shade underexposed, so there's a second gradient to bring up the blacks and darks and get rid of some harsh reflections of the water in the paddy fields.
    In normal situations I'd have used bracketing to help reduce the need for such heavy post processing, but I didn't have a tripod with me on the trip.

Having got the light some what right, I applied a Luminance range mask to help me add yellow to the colour balance to warm up the picture, and some greens to the shadows (the land).

Then it was a case of just some other basic adjustments to balance it all out.

I did most of the processing on the Android Lightroom app on my Oppo AX5. Things I learned -- Oppo AX5 is bloody awful for representing colours and led me to creating some horribly over saturated images in the process of editing this. I ended up having to sent edits to my GFs phone to cross check after each adjustment. Next time I'll just install Lightroom on her phone, or wait until I'm back at a computer.

Advertisement