Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Videographer

Options
  • 13-01-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for any recommendations for a videographer. What I'm looking for is someone who can do a 3-5 minute highlight video of the big day. Only issue is that I only have a budget of €500.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

cr-07 wrote: »
    Only issue is that I only have a budget of €500.

Therein lies your problem.
    Unlikely that you'll hire a professional videographer for a day, expect them to film and then edit the footage for that kind of money.
    You should shop around on Craigs List, Done Deal or Adverts. There's always someone, maybe starting out, or a weekend warrior who will be happy with €500

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The length of the video you want doesn’t matter to cost, to be honest. You’re still asking someone to do a full days filming (costing their time, experience, equipment, insurance etc) and then spend many, many hours trawling through the footage to create the video - likely at least another 2-3 days work. So let’s say they film 12 hours for your wedding, then spend 3 days at 8 hours a day making the video. That gives them an hourly gross pay of about €13, from which all of their costs would have to be deducted. You’re essentially looking for a highly specialized person to work for less than minimum wage. Would you be willing to work for less than minimum wage, OP?

You might find it, but I doubt you’ll be happy with the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Agree with above. You get what you pay for and it will take up 2-3 days of someone’s time to give you a basic video!

I know it’s overwhelming seeing the budget spiral out of control but I think that and photos is worthwhile getting right. To get good value for money, I’d suggest going with a photographer/video package as it’ll cut little bit of time off if one talented person edits both rather than having 2 separate people edit.

Can pm you who I booked if you want but you’ll need to double your video budget still (and that’s still a bargain to me!) ��

• Registered Users Posts: 40 gledge

Hi Pink, could you PM me the details? I'm struggling to actually find someone full stop!

gledge wrote: »
    Hi Pink, could you PM me the details? I'm struggling to actually find someone full stop!

Sent, hope you got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cr-07

After reading through the comments and responses here, along with looking at prices from videographers, I admit that I have underestimated the budget for videographer (reason being is I got a great bargain for a great photographer - €1000 :D). On that point, I would need to double my budget for one, could you PM the details of your person, Pink? .. I'm also open to getting more recommendations if anyone knows anyone good for €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Check out Bonded Frames. Lower end of the price range because he doesn’t have a huge amount of weddings under his belt yet but the results are lovely. I found him through a photographer and he has been great to deal with so far!

www.bondedframes.com

cr-07 wrote: »
    After reading through the comments and responses here, along with looking at prices from videographers, I admit that I have underestimated the budget for videographer (reason being is I got a great bargain for a great photographer - €1000 :D). On that point, I would need to double my budget for one, could you PM the details of your person, Pink? .. I'm also open to getting more recommendations if anyone knows anyone good for €1000.

Sent, best of luck to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I know a guy that is charging around €1200. Old school guy as well, uses proper video cameras not digital SLR cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I know a guy that is charging around €1200. Old school guy as well, uses proper video cameras not digital SLR cameras.

Out of curiosity (I'm a videographer myself) does that make a big difference for you?

I would have thought that a couple wouldn't mind what type of camera or equipment in general was used as long as the end result was what they were looking for.

• Advertisement

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Out of curiosity (I'm a videographer myself) does that make a big difference for you?

I would have thought that a couple wouldn't mind what type of camera or equipment in general was used as long as the end result was what they were looking for.

For me it does, but I am old school. Someone rocking up with a digital SLR and a zoom to record audio looks hap hazard and unprofessional. Sure then the photographer should use a phone and how about the band uses backing tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I never even thought about what equipment our videographer would be using, in fact I think I liked that he was using more DSLR cameras as nobody paid much attention to him throughout the day as people thought he was just a regular photographer so acted much more naturally.. He had great audio equipment though, and set everything up great. Plus he also had steadicam rigs for moving shots etc, and his video was amazing. He's well out of the OP's budget though.

For me it does, but I am old school. Someone rocking up with a digital SLR and a zoom to record audio looks hap hazard and unprofessional. Sure then the photographer should use a phone and how about the band uses backing tracks.

I started shooting weddings on a video camera (broadcast quality video camera as set out by the BBC guidelines. I've also used it to shoot stuff for TV. I still have it and use it for projects) I also used proper Sennheiser gear for capturing audio.

Over the last 18 months, I've migrated over to shooting weddings on a DSLR and using audio recorders (Zoom, Sony, Tascam etc.)

The DSLR actually has a better image quality; higher resolution, higher bitrate, bigger dynamic range etc. So the final video looks and is much better than from the video camera.

Because of it's size, it's more maneuverable and versatile (I shoot with it on a monopd for 90% of the day, so I'm taking up less space and I'm less conspicuous)

People are much less aware of me because I'm using a smaller camera, so they aren't nervous or acting camera shy; I get much more natural footage (I get a lot more guests coming up to me and having a chat now too. I must look less intimidating!)

I stopped using the Sennheiser Radio mic becuase I felt like it was quite bulky. No groom ever said anything to me, but I myself didn't like that you could see the outline of the Pack through their suit jacket. Recorders are much more discreet and can be hidden well. Groom's are also much less nervous when they see me use the small recorder than when they see the Sennheiser pack.

The final quality of my work has taken a good jump upwards after making the switch.

I don't say all this to be argumentative (in fact, I really like hearing thoughts and opinions different to my own; it helps me see things from another point of view) I say this because if any couple reading this thinks the same (ie. they prefer a video camera) I'd urge them to chat to their videographer about it beforehand.

The videographer should be able to explain why they use the equipment they use, and their thought process behind it. If you don't like the answer, there are plenty of alternative shooters out there using video cameras. Just don't dismiss someone because of their gear without chatting to them and looking at samples or their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Don't bother. Just ask a couple of mates to take a few vids with their phones. It'll be HD anyway.

Huge waste of money imo and a pain in the arse for people there being filmed all the time.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Over the last 18 months, I've migrated over to shooting weddings on a DSLR and using audio recorders .

Each to their own and I am not trying to start an argument. I simply do not like them, just a personal preferance is all.

Each to their own and I am not trying to start an argument. I simply do not like them, just a personal preferance is all.

I completely understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The Nal wrote: »
    Don't bother. Just ask a couple of mates to take a few vids with their phones. It'll be HD anyway.

Huge waste of money imo and a pain in the arse for people there being filmed all the time.

It won't even be remotely the same, I can assure you. Our videographer was honestly the best money we spent for our wedding, everyone was chill and I'm so glad we got a professional video. Footage from phones from a few mates is 100% not the same thing - we have some videos that friends took and it's not even close.

At a budget of €500 I just wouldnt bother. You will not get anyone of quality or experience and just regret spending that money in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It won't even be remotely the same, I can assure you. Our videographer was honestly the best money we spent for our wedding, everyone was chill and I'm so glad we got a professional video. Footage from phones from a few mates is 100% not the same thing - we have some videos that friends took and it's not even close.

Fair enough. We didn't bother. Watched a few clips here and there, saw a couple of photos and were happy with that. Probably never to be seen again.

But yeah, for 500 quid, give it a miss and buy some more wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A friend did our video as a present 11 years ago. He's a professional who does high end weddings.
    We've still to watch the second half :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 voxpoptweets

Pink11 wrote: »
    Agree with above. You get what you pay for and it will take up 2-3 days of someone’s time to give you a basic video!

I know it’s overwhelming seeing the budget spiral out of control but I think that and photos is worthwhile getting right. To get good value for money, I’d suggest going with a photographer/video package as it’ll cut little bit of time off if one talented person edits both rather than having 2 separate people edit.

Can pm you who I booked if you want but you’ll need to double your video budget still (and that’s still a bargain to me!) ��
    Hey Pink, could you also PM me the details? I'm struggling to stay within my budget. Thanks.

Hey Pink, could you also PM me the details? I'm struggling to stay within my budget. Thanks.

Sorry hadn't been online in a while and missed this. Do you still need the details? Pm me if you do I'll send them on.

Advertisement