Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contacting Gardai to enforce parking laws in cycle lanes

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Are you for real? Why on earth would staff do that? Would you expect staff in a hospital to go out and police the roads? What about double parking outside shops - would you expect shop staff to go out? And who would do the teaching while school staff are out doing the work of the Gardai? If my employer asked me to go out and police the roads, I know how I'd respond.

Well the students are the responsibility of the school so if the environment immediately outside the school is not safe for them then they should be doing something about it.

No I wouldn't expect shop staff to be policing the area outside their shop, but if you had a shop selling things for blind or disabled people for example and the public were parking on the pavement outside or blocking the disabled parking bays then I would expect that the shop did something pro-active about it in the absence of the police doing so to protect their customers.

The school has a responsibility for the children. Their customers (the parents) are putting their other customers (the children) at risk and the school has it in its powers to do something more about it. Limited powers that amount to pointing a finger and scowling a bit admittedly, but they can certainly do more than ignore the problem and pretend it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

zell12 wrote: »

Bus lane..... Actually it's a shared lane as the big bike is painted now instead of putting in lines inside a lane....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Just how big of a sh1tbag do you have to be to roll a car on the NCR ?

I hope the driver is suitable punished, somehow I doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Doesn't always involve speed, it's actually easier to do if the wheel is turned and grips a wall, tree or other car wheel for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

How do you the driver rolled the car?? There were three cars involved so no way of knowing how the car ended up on it’s roof from the picture posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

I hope the driver is suitably punished, somehow I doubt it

In fairness, you can flip a car at very low speeds, if you manage to hook the front tyre off something. However, it's at least careless driving if you manage to hit anything at all.

Edit: here's a typical one, just posted today: https://youtu.be/J9IRegA_EgA?t=313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Just to add from today's Star, driver attempts to escape. In this case, the garda are 'to enforce parking laws in cycle lanes' :pac::D
    EVEUadpUcAAPtlo?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Interesting thread.

Most nights taxis use the main cycle lane in town as their own rank, with no tickets or enforcement from Gardai, even when called.

Last year, I waited for Gardai to arrive and when they did, they weren't even sure what law was being broken.
    I actually had to point out the cycle lane to them and even then, they refused to issue a single ticket, all the while more taxis pull up and wait in the lane for customers.

The two Gardai smirk and quote that they are using their "discretion" and asked me where my helmet was if I was so concerned about my safety. No lie.

I contacted GSOC and 4 months later the station inspector rang me.
    Told me he'd have a word with the Gardai involved but couldn't do much more than that, not before adding; "taxi drivers are only trying to make a living, you know" - not even sure how to respond to such a woefully ignorant comment from someone who has the title of inspector in his position. The fact that Gardai are the ones issuing these offending taxis their PSV licenses makes it even worse IMO. They are actively allowing such behaviour to go unpunished, meaning it'll keep happening.

I have pretty much given up ever expecting AGS to do something beneficial towards cycling safety, at least here anyway.

I just find the whole mindset and attitude absolutely appalling, from the Gardai I've experienced anyway.

Is it even worth pursuing that, as even GSOC couldn't resolve it? Contact the Commissioners office perhaps? Or just a waste of time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement