Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-05-2015, 10:13   #61
agentblue

Well just like Prospect last year, I have very little to add. The mower just works. It's great for me but bad for a running commentary because once it's set up and the boundary and schedule are tweaked you just forget about it.
I'm very happy with my purchase.
If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-05-2015, 12:44   #62
beauf

How do you secure these from theft? Or is it case you only let them out when you are around?
16-05-2015, 13:40   #63
KCross

Secure robot mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
How do you secure these from theft? Or is it case you only let them out when you are around?
You can't secure them really and because they are out a lot longer than a ride on its not practical to only put it out when you are present. The idea is you set it up, configure the cutting schedule and let it off.

They all generally have an alarm that sounds when you pick it up and no one else can use it unless they know the security PIN. It's not much of a consolation to the owner once it's gone but at least it's no use to anyone else and that should deter folks from stealing them. I haven't heard of anyone had it happen and I did ask/research it before I bought mine as it is the first question most people ask.

Some makes have an in-built Sim and GPS and once the mower leaves a pre-defined area it starts sending its location via SMS. Very few have this by default though.
(2) thanks from:
20-05-2015, 17:26   #64
twenty8

I got my Robomow (RS622) 2 weeks ago and I am already in love with it!! It has taken a lot of tinkering to get it right and I will still have a bit more to do. But it is fantastic once it is working.

You should be aware of how much wire you get with it. I have 1,800sqm and this mower is supposed to cover up to 2,200. However, I only got 300m of wire when I needed 600m and it costs a fortune to buy (€80 / 150m). Other than that I would highly recommend it.
(4) thanks from:
30-06-2015, 12:22   #65
Repolho

Thanks to this thread I bought a Robomow RS622. I decided on the robomow as:
  1. Very convincing sales pitch by the Robomow guys when I met them at the RDS.
  2. Robomow have appointed my local lawnmower man as an agent.
  3. Cheaper than the equivalent Husqvarna
  4. Longer warranty
I set it up last weekend but like twenty8 I ran out of wire so I left one lawn out for the moment. The robomow guy himself told me not to bother buying "official" robowmow wire as it was ridiculously expensive and any sort of electrical wire would do the job. I just set my lawns up as separate zones for the moment. I will carry the mower from lawn to lawn until I figure out a solution.

So far so good. I spent half an hour watching it cut the lawn yesterday evening. Hypnotic Probably should have spent that time trimming hedges or something. Anyone have a robot that will do that?
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-07-2015, 13:01   #66
Repolho

Question for Robomow Owners

I've a question for Robomow owners...

I initially just set my lawns up as separate zones. I have now connected one of my front lawns to the back so recreated it as a subzone. The last time my robomow went out to mow the main zone on an edging cycle it kept going out around subzone 1. Is this normal or have I created my subzone wrong?

Thanks.
10-07-2015, 13:51   #67
gctest50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repolho View Post
.......... Probably should have spent that time trimming hedges or something. Anyone have a robot that will do that?
yip - down to maplin and get an arduino and some sticky tape

dead safe looking yoke that
(2) thanks from:
13-07-2015, 21:26   #68
touchdown77

How do these robot lawnmowers cope with dog crap?
14-07-2015, 14:34   #69
deadl0ck

Just took delivery of my Robomow RS622 yesterday.
Currently in the process of putting down the perimeter wire.
I had to build a pass between my lawns (which are at different heights) - hopefully it will be OK - It's 1m wide but has borders (i.e. boards) on both sides - I may have to widen it a little:

When all is up and running I'll report back.
(Laying the wire is a right pain in the ass)
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-07-2015, 13:02   #70
Repolho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repolho View Post
The robomow guy himself told me not to bother buying "official" robowmow wire as it was ridiculously expensive and any sort of electrical wire would do the job.
0.75mm panelling wire bought from local electrical wholesaler does the job. It was €16 for a 100m reel. The robomow wire is £59GBP for 150m on amazon!
(2) thanks from:
16-07-2015, 13:06   #71
Repolho

Wires across concrete footpaths

Any advice for running wires across concrete footpaths?
16-07-2015, 14:15   #72
deadl0ck

OK - so wire is down and it's started mowing.
Grass is a bit long so I think it will take a good week to get it under some sort of control.
I have a main zone and a Sub-Zone - it's still working on the main zone, but it only did it's first outing yesterday evening after 7PM.
The default mowing schedule is from 6am to 11 pm. I changed it this morning so it goes from 10am to 8.30 pm as I think there is a lot of dew on the grass otherwise. It went out last night at 10 and the grass was quite damp, and as this is my first cut (and had been over a week since the last cut with my old mower) there was a lot of grass sticking to the wheels and making them slip a bit.
I may extend the schedule once the lawns are under control and are being cut regularly.
Also - I'm doing this first cut in at max height (80mm), and I'll slowly drop the height over time. I'm wary of putting too much pressure on it initially (especially with the high-ish grass for this first cut)
(4) thanks from:
01-09-2015, 13:21   #73
prospect

Hi all,

Great to see more first hand reports of ownership coming in.

My latest update is that there is more of the same. There has been one or two occasions this summer where the mower hasn't completed it cycle, in one case in one area there was some subsidence and the 'back' wheel dropped causing the 'front' wheel to lift and that cuts the mower off for safety reasons. In another instance the kids plugged it out for some reason and it never ran. Other than instances like that it has been trucking along nicely.

Some points:
- I have moved its docking location so it is further camouflaged by shrubs, this provides added security and also some weather protection.

- At the end of this season I'll reverse the blades for next year.

- In a garden our size and design, grass strip along the roadside, some paths through a woodland area, any potential purchasers would have to consider a small push mower as well.

Overall I am very happy so far with the investment.
(4) thanks from:
09-10-2015, 00:51   #74
turner and hooch

kCross and agentblue , both of ye have the 330, I am about to purchase a 320.
My lawn is much smaller than ye have only approx 1000m2 , so the 320 which can do up to 2400m2, sounds fine for me. Other than the GPS and the 2 guide wires, which , because the area I have is much smaller and fairly straight forward, I don't think I need, is there any other reason you think I should go for the 330 over the 320 ?
The price difference is €500, but if it for the features I mentioned above, then it's €500 in my pocket. If it is for better build quality, more robust parts, motors etc, it might be worth spending the few bob more.
I haven't seen these machines side by side or in operation, so it's hard to compare.
Any advise welcome
09-10-2015, 20:31   #75
KCross

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner and hooch View Post
kCross and agentblue , both of ye have the 330, I am about to purchase a 320.
My lawn is much smaller than ye have only approx 1000m2 , so the 320 which can do up to 2400m2, sounds fine for me. Other than the GPS and the 2 guide wires, which , because the area I have is much smaller and fairly straight forward, I don't think I need, is there any other reason you think I should go for the 330 over the 320 ?
The price difference is €500, but if it for the features I mentioned above, then it's €500 in my pocket. If it is for better build quality, more robust parts, motors etc, it might be worth spending the few bob more.
I haven't seen these machines side by side or in operation, so it's hard to compare.
Any advise welcome
The batteries are different. The 330X will cut for longer on each charge.
I don't know if the motors are any different. Best ask the dealer that one.
The GPS allows the 330X to be more efficient as it knows where it's been.

But if your lawn is as simple as you suggest maybe the 500 is better in your pocket.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion