Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Lads and lassies, I've read the thread and have a couple of fairly dull questions:-

I have my own small business, a Ltd company. As the adverts say I'm the Managing Director, Finance Director, Sales Director etc etc :D:D I'm also a PAYE employee of the company so I qualify for the B2W scheme.

I've identified the bike I want in my local shop so all I really need to know is what paperwork do I need to do from the employers point of view? I know I have to buy the bike with a company cheque or credit card but what forms if any does the company have to fill out and submit (presumably to the Rev Comm) to officially participate in the scheme?

The other question I have is can anyone link to a template for the letter I have to sign confirming I'll be using the bike to cycle to work etc?

Cheers everyone, looking forward to getting back in the saddle :P

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 7 STOLEN_REWARD

My bike was stolen from work , is the company not liable to provide secure parking for your bike when you arrive at work , is that not part of the criteria

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My bike was stolen from work , is the company not liable to provide secure parking for your bike when you arrive at work , is that not part of the criteria
    Not at all part of the criteria - it's your bike and your own responsibility to secure it appropriately (and insure it if you feel it necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi... now that the Teachers are back to school - does anyone know if the Dept of Education is running the scheme again???? My wife 'subs' locally and was going to get her to use into the scheme to get her a bike to joine me on the odd outing.

Any Teachers out there in the know???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭titanium feather

Masala wrote: »
    Hi... now that the Teachers are back to school - does anyone know if the Dept of Education is running the scheme again???? My wife 'subs' locally and was going to get her to use into the scheme to get her a bike to joine me on the odd outing.

Any Teachers out there in the know???

I'm not sure that you can use the scheme if you don't have a permanent contract? There's a document on the dept of education website with a good bit of info - would link to it but I'm on my phone - it's in the payroll section, under personnel on the home screen, I think!

Another teacher question - does anyone know approx how long the dept of education take to process claims, once you send in your application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Howdy lads,

Just reading up on Bike to Work. My company is opted-in to the scheme but it seems a little too good to be true! It seems I can get around half-off a bike costing up to $1,000 which is awesome. Are there any sort of restrictions here? I know there's a list of retailers who are part of the program, but does it apply to certain models? What if I were to go for something over the 1K mark, is it possible to pay the difference and still claim a tax deduction on the first thousand?

Any advice here would be great, I think this scheme may bite the bullet in December's budget. I should get my act together! :)

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Its how I got my bike, no there is no catch it really is that good. I got roughly a 900 euro + equipment worth about 100 for a little more then 500 Euro I did it a year ago and it was the best thing I bought in ages. Its so much better then gym membership for keeping fit and trim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306050

should cover most of it?
    hands up who got their bikes in the BTW scheme?

me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Ah I should have assumed there was a sticky! Thanks lads.

Mods, feel free to move lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306050

should cover most of it?
    hands up who got their bikes in the BTW scheme?

me...

ahum, me ...

the documentation we got stipulates that the bike has to be use at least 50% of the time for work purpose ... cycle to work/cycle to the train/bus station ... but the agreement is based on trust ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The catch is you have to use the bike not just hang it in the garage and admire it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,634 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Also used said scheme,cracking initiative.only good thing the greens ever did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Hello.

I'm in the process of getting my new bike under the cycle to work scheme. The only slight drawback is that I have to have the deductions taken from my salary between now and the end of November (I was hoping to spread them out over 12 months). When I asked our payroll people about this they said that I could chance leaving getting the bike until after November, but there would be no guarantee the cycle to work scheme would still be available after that date.

So, has anyone heard this, and are my payroll people correct in saying this scheme may be cancelled after November?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Budget 2012 will be on the 6th or 7th of December, at which point they could well scrap the CTW scheme, but it's unlikely that they will - there's very little reason to as it costs practically nothing.

If they do end it, it will likely end on 31st December.

Some companies individually have put a time limit on it, so they may be saying that they will no longer be offering it after November, as they're entitled to do. But there's no reason to think that the Government will cancel it in the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ToadVine wrote: »
    Hello.

I'm in the process of getting my new bike under the cycle to work scheme. The only slight drawback is that I have to have the deductions taken from my salary between now and the end of November (I was hoping to spread them out over 12 months). When I asked our payroll people about this they said that I could chance leaving getting the bike until after November, but there would be no guarantee the cycle to work scheme would still be available after that date.

So, has anyone heard this, and are my payroll people correct in saying this scheme may be cancelled after November?

talks of ours ending in Nov as well, but i'f my payents spread over 52 weeks starting from August last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭andyjo

wonder if the government ever sends out an inspector to check the b2w scheme ? A mate of mine who got non cycling stuff on it is ready to say the bike was stolen.

andyjo wrote: »
    wonder if the government ever sends out an inspector to check the b2w scheme ?
    It's self-regulating in much the same way that income tax is. That is, you can file any old nonsense that you like, but if you get audited revenue will shaft you. Inspectors for specific things aren't that common, afaik Revenue tend to carry out audits of the entire company rather than looking specifically at B2W or PRSI or whatever.
    A mate of mine who got non cycling stuff on it is ready to say the bike was stolen.
    There's no provision in the scheme for replacement of stolen bikes. You can only avail of the scheme once every five years, bike stolen or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Does anyone know can you avail of a set of cheaper bikes for all the family and. Make the value to approximately €1,000 and get all 3 bikes under the one application under the btw scheme? :o

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Does anyone know can you avail of a set of cheaper bikes for all the family and. Make the value to approximately €1,000 and get all 3 bikes under the one application under the btw scheme? :o
    No - one bike for the employee who must intend using that bike mainly to cycle to work ...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Hi guys,
    im a long time viewer of this forum and first time poster.
    I have just learned that i am eligible for the bike to work scheme and i have been informed that i can use chain reaction cycles as the supplier. However i am slightly confused about which forms i need to fill in. As the department of education is my employer do i fill out this form? - http://www.education.ie/admin/servlet/blobservlet/cl0036_2011_form.doc?language=EN&igstat=true

However on the chain reaction cycles website there is a different form to fill out- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Interface/Images/restyle/Full-info-pack.pdf
    Which form do i fill out? And how do i go about getting an invoice form chain reaction cycles without actually buying the bike? Sorry if these questions have been asked before but a search turned up nothing for me.

• Advertisement

As the department of education is my employer

Do you not have to pay this all back by November 2011??? That is my reading of the current DOE arrangement. To me this timescale is very short if you are paying on a monthly salary deduction.

I was holding out for the Dec11 Budget and hoping the scheme continues - which I can't see why not! Am planning to buy my Bike in December and then paying off over 11 months to Nov 2012 on my salary deductions!!!

flying11 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    im a long time viewer of this forum and first time poster.
    I have just learned that i am eligible for the bike to work scheme and i have been informed that i can use chain reaction cycles as the supplier. However i am slightly confused about which forms i need to fill in. As the department of education is my employer do i fill out this form? - http://www.education.ie/admin/servlet/blobservlet/cl0036_2011_form.doc?language=EN&igstat=true

However on the chain reaction cycles website there is a different form to fill out- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Interface/Images/restyle/Full-info-pack.pdf
    Which form do i fill out? And how do i go about getting an invoice form chain reaction cycles without actually buying the bike? Sorry if these questions have been asked before but a search turned up nothing for me.
    You fill out your employer's form. The CRC one is simply for their internal purposes and is designed for the UK rather than Irish scheme (it includes helmet on on a zero VAT-rated basis for example, whereas they are subject to VAT in Ireland)

Speak to your employer about the invoice point - I'm sure they've used CRC before. If they don't give enough to deal with your queries, then speak to CRC, who again I'm sure will have experience of dealing with the education department

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Masala wrote: »
    As the department of education is my employer

Do you not have to pay this all back by November 2011??? That is my reading of the current DOE arrangement. To me this timescale is very short if you are paying on a monthly salary deduction.

I was holding out for the Dec11 Budget and hoping the scheme continues - which I can't see why not! Am planning to buy my Bike in December and then paying off over 11 months to Nov 2012 on my salary deductions!!!

my understanding of this was that once the bike is purchased before november that you pay it off for 12 months from the date of purchase? btw thanks for the info beasty, im filing out the proper form right now! ;)

Flying 111

...just check it out!!

That's not my understanding.... November of the year of purchase is the cut-off!!! If you get anything definitive on this.. will you let this forum know. I would love to get my bike earlier and pay off over the next 11/12 months... but my advice says that I need to hold off til Dec/Jan or so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

can a person getting a social welfare payment avail of the bike to work scheme,Thank you

can a person getting a social welfare payment avail of the bike to work scheme,Thank you

So long as you are employed and paying tax under PAYE (and your employer operates the scheme), yes. If you're below the tax threshold though, there's nothing to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

What's the minimum travel distance required to avail of the bike to work scheme?

There is none - you must simply intend using the bike mainly for commuting to work

I'm transferring this to the BTW mega thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

sorry this question may have been asked, but im on lunch and in a hurry..

does the retailer have to be registered with the bike to work scheme, i ask because ive been told they have but ive seen that the bike can be bought from abroad so how would that be possible...
    itd be very handy for me if they didnt..

cheers

• Advertisement

No, the retailer doesn't have to be registered. Any new bike purchased from any retailer anywhere in the world is covered by the scheme, provided that your employer buys it.

Some employers (usually larger ones), have a set list of retailers that they will only buy from, but they're not otherwise limited by Revenue in who they can buy the bikes from.

Advertisement