Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-11-2008, 17:41   #1
Iggy Pop

Remember the late 70s/early 80s?

The Dandelion Market, Sir Walter Raleighs for rainbow skins, The Alchemists Head to get copies of the Freak brothers magazines, seeing U2 and The Atrix (I think I still have a copy of “Treasure on the Wasteland”) for 50p in the underground parking lot off Stephens Green, Hijax wine bar on O’Connell street to score hash, Saturday nights in Bruxelles followed by McGonagles and walking home because both of the cities Taxis were nowhere to be found. Having “One from the wood” in the snug at Kehoes, Reggae at the TV Club on Fridays, sneaking in a take out 6 pack to The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Stella (Midnight Express and Taxi driver in Cork), Abracababra at 2.00 in the morning, the Rock in Stephens Green, outrage when a pint went over a quid, The diary of Adrian Mole on the radio, the Letters of Henry Root, Mulligans for the best pints, John Cooper Clarke, Micro Disney, Firstenberg and Colt 45, 24 hour shop in Rathgar, Johnny Foxes during mushroom season, rat fink Haughy, the 5000 quid giveaway on Radio Nova, Nova Park, “Ta said ag teacht” Arran island Guinness ad, Wine coolers, Snake bites, Durban poison (yeah!), nightclubs on Lesion St., The Pink Bicycle…………………
Don’t remember much else but a good time was had by all!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-11-2008, 21:50   #2
psychic-hack

Sounds like you had the charmed life of a southsider in the 70's and 80's!
Here's the northside version:

No. 19 O'Connell Street for drinks,
El Toro Bravo on O'Connell St for coffee after a film in the Carlton.
Lord John's nightclub in Sackville Place to dance to anything by Abba /the Bee Gees;
Pirate radio stations broadcasting from someone's shed / a derelict building,
The Indian Bazaar on O'Connell St., where you could get long skirts and patchouli,
The National Ballroom for a showband, Joe Dolan at the Olympic,
venetian blinds, plastic fruit, blue eyeshadow, lip gloss and Jackie magazine.
14-11-2008, 22:05   #3
IrishWhite

Feeling privileged to have a job and working your nuts off because you were positive you were gonna be there for life. Holidays were in Rush Lusk and Skerries not Playa del Finglas Salu or Kusadasi. People only wore there hoods up when it rained. The only time you met a foreign national was when you went to the hospital.Barry Johns on Parnell Street for Fred Perry tshirts, Army Bargains Capel Street for your fishtail parka. Simon Harts for your badgers pinhole loafers or spats bowling shoes etc. Dolphin Discs for your records. Spicburger and chips in Alfie Byrnes or if you did OT that week you might stretch to a mixed grill. Drinking establishments included Coopers the 19th Abraxes, Jaggers, and the Beat Club. Pints of Steiger or Furstenburg or bottles of Carling special brew. No cocaine hash no alcopops no shots pubs had 1 lager guinness and smithwicks and about 5 spirits and snowballs. Happy Days and not to forget Sally OBrien and the way she might look at ya. Oh yes and evryone answering the phone and saying "I listen to the red hot sound of sunshine 101".

Last edited by IrishWhite; 14-11-2008 at 22:21.
(2) thanks from:
14-11-2008, 23:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Pop View Post
the Freak brothers magazines

Sure there are still some copies left up at my mum's somewhere
14-11-2008, 23:49   #5

Quote:
The Dandelion Market, Sir Walter Raleighs for rainbow skins, The Alchemists Head to get copies of the Freak brothers magazines, seeing U2 and The Atrix (I think I still have a copy of “Treasure on the Wasteland”) for 50p in the underground parking lot off Stephens Green, Hijax wine bar on O’Connell street to score hash, Saturday nights in Bruxelles followed by McGonagles and walking home because both of the cities Taxis were nowhere to be found. Having “One from the wood” in the snug at Kehoes, Reggae at the TV Club on Fridays, sneaking in a take out 6 pack to The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Stella (Midnight Express and Taxi driver in Cork), Abracababra at 2.00 in the morning, the Rock in Stephens Green, outrage when a pint went over a quid, The diary of Adrian Mole on the radio, the Letters of Henry Root, Mulligans for the best pints, John Cooper Clarke, Micro Disney, Firstenberg and Colt 45, 24 hour shop in Rathgar, Johnny Foxes during mushroom season, rat fink Haughy, the 5000 quid giveaway on Radio Nova, Nova Park, “Ta said ag teacht” Arran island Guinness ad, Wine coolers, Snake bites, Durban poison (yeah!), nightclubs on Lesion St., The Pink Bicycle…………………
Don’t remember much else but a good time was had by all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWhite View Post
Feeling privileged to have a job and working your nuts off because you were positive you were gonna be there for life. Holidays were in Rush Lusk and Skerries not Playa del Finglas Salu or Kusadasi. People only wore there hoods up when it rained. The only time you met a foreign national was when you went to the hospital.Barry Johns on Parnell Street for Fred Perry tshirts, Army Bargains Capel Street for your fishtail parka. Simon Harts for your badgers pinhole loafers or spats bowling shoes etc. Dolphin Discs for your records. Spicburger and chips in Alfie Byrnes or if you did OT that week you might stretch to a mixed grill. Drinking establishments included Coopers the 19th Abraxes, Jaggers, and the Beat Club. Pints of Steiger or Furstenburg or bottles of Carling special brew. No cocaine hash no alcopops no shots pubs had 1 lager guinness and smithwicks and about 5 spirits and snowballs. Happy Days and not to forget Sally OBrien and the way she might look at ya. Oh yes and evryone answering the phone and saying "I listen to the red hot sound of sunshine 101".
You two have just seriously described my life in late 70s /80s dublin Remember the band 'Stepaside' ? I use to go see them and all the other bands that were around at the time in the baggot inn and was never out of Bruxelles ,the Baily , Mc Daids....... oh it's all coming back now .
Advertisement
15-11-2008, 00:04   #6

God life was crap back then

Mike
15-11-2008, 00:06   #7

Quote:
followed by McGonagles and walking home ....
to Tallaght.
15-11-2008, 03:34   #8
Calibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchyco View Post
You two have just seriously described my life in late 70s /80s dublin Remember the band 'Stepaside' ? I use to go see them and all the other bands that were around at the time in the baggot inn and was never out of Bruxelles ,the Baily , Mc Daids....... oh it's all coming back now .
[Marks Latchyco down in the little black boardsie book] "........dads age"

I'm the son of a former on/off member of Stepaside. Though in Stepasides Heyday which would be the preiod you'd probably be talking about, I think he was with the Gentry or Brush Shiels. The old man is now back gigging with the Paul Ashford band quite a bit after a 15 year Hiatus from the music business. I remember many a Sunday afternoon/evening as a young teen late 80's early 90's spent at the Purty loft in Dun Laoighaire watching them play. Paul Ashford, Brenny Bonass, Robbie Brennan, Mark Costigan, Me 'Oul fella'. Yer man from the Commitments on Trumpet.

Had me first pint under the supervision of the old man aged 16 in the Purty Loft as I recall. Had me first E there a few years later! (when it was coverted into a nightclub, not at a Stepaside gig! )

Quote:
Take a 45 to the Last Resort!
15-11-2008, 16:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
God life was crap back then

Mike
If you are old enough to remember that Dublin scene back then you will find it was anything but crap ,just most of us didint have everything handed to us on a plate cuz of the recession (pre celtic tiger ) . .It was still holy ireland but the PC brigade wasnt everywere .Every generation will say their youth was the best although i have seen quite a few say they would have like to have being around late 70s/80 just for the music alone . Have a look here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwmLCARUsQ

Psst- I was a skin ,a mod and then a hippe but not all at sme time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos View Post
[Marks Latchyco down in the little black boardsie book] "........dads age"

I'm the son of a former on/off member of Stepaside. Though in Stepasides Heyday which would be the preiod you'd probably be talking about, I think he was with the Gentry or Brush Shiels. The old man is now back gigging with the Paul Ashford band quite a bit after a 15 year Hiatus from the music business. I remember many a Sunday afternoon/evening as a young teen late 80's early 90's spent at the Purty loft in Dun Laoighaire watching them play. Paul Ashford, Brenny Bonass, Robbie Brennan, Mark Costigan, Me 'Oul fella'. Yer man from the Commitments on Trumpet.

Had me first pint under the supervision of the old man aged 16 in the Purty Loft as I recall. Had me first E there a few years later! (when it was coverted into a nightclub, not at a Stepaside gig! )
Ahaah dads age indeed

It was the Paul Ashford, Brenny Bonass, Robbie Brennan, Mark Costigan,stepaside i used to go see and saw them in a few places including the Merion inn and also purty kitchen .I remember Brush and the Gentry to .Paul Ashford was with the Miami for a while to .About 2 years ago I got in touch with Paul through the 'Paul Ashford Band ' website and found out the Stepaside album ' Sit down and relapse ' which i had bought back in 78 was available on cd so i sent off my 12 euros and he posted to me .

Catch a 45 to the last resort and also on the cd give me somthing ,get out of Dublin (i did ) always loved you, big star, yellow chair and my Fav every inch.

Very 80's but still sounds as good today as it did back then .Thinking of making a you tube vid with 'Every Inch '

'' she's got a sister i couldent resist her '' he he

Last edited by Latchy; 15-11-2008 at 17:11.
Advertisement
16-11-2008, 02:45   #10
Calibos

Looking back at the 1990 Stepaside gigs in the Purty kitchen feels like only yesterday. Can't believe that was 18 years ago!! And when I think about it the Stepaside heyday in the early '80's was only 7 or 8 years before that. Nothing when you think about it. Assuming you were in your early 20's back then you're probably actually only about 10 years older than me. So I appologise for the 'Dads Age' joke

Catch a 45 was actually the only song title I could remember but I immediatly recognised most of the others when you mentioned them. Must have a root through the old mans vinyl collection for that album and give it another listen. Its been years.

Just googled and found the album cover. If thats who I think it is on the cover, I think she used to babysit me (Julie-Ann something or other?? )

Last edited by Calibos; 16-11-2008 at 02:48.
16-11-2008, 05:43   #11

Anyone remember the lookalikes band ? High waist baggies, klackers 2 and 2 bars, open back buses, jesus I even got an afro hair do in Valentinos on Grafton St, Loose biscuits, electric milk floats, I even remember the horse drawn premier dairies ones...ahh I feel all warm now !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ZxqNWKJ-4

Klackers !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMwV62qwoGY

Last edited by thelurch; 16-11-2008 at 06:10.
16-11-2008, 16:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos View Post
Looking back at the 1990 Stepaside gigs in the Purty kitchen feels like only yesterday. Can't believe that was 18 years ago!! And when I think about it the Stepaside heyday in the early '80's was only 7 or 8 years before that. Nothing when you think about it. Assuming you were in your early 20's back then you're probably actually only about 10 years older than me. So I appologise for the 'Dads Age' joke

Catch a 45 was actually the only song title I could remember but I immediatly recognised most of the others when you mentioned them. Must have a root through the old mans vinyl collection for that album and give it another listen. Its been years.

Just googled and found the album cover. If thats who I think it is on the cover, I think she used to babysit me (Julie-Ann something or other?? )
Aye still not over the hill just yet Looking at the cd cover with the girl in question i thought it a little strange ,a bit disjointed lol but it's only a cover .Catch a 45 are words in the song .The title is The last resort . I though they were one of the better bands around at the time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurch View Post
Anyone remember the lookalikes band ? High waist baggies, klackers 2 and 2 bars, open back buses, jesus I even got an afro hair do in Valentinos on Grafton St, Loose biscuits, electric milk floats, I even remember the horse drawn premier dairies ones...ahh I feel all warm now !!
Yes they were one of several northside bands like DC- Nien ,Excentrics , who might have being the next big thing when tons of dublin bands were looking for recording contracts.Lookalikes released a couple of decent singles to .
16-11-2008, 19:11   #13
humberklog

I liked a band called The Burgulars. Mostly old style busker jazz stuff. There was about 8 of them. Used to pitch up on Nth Earl st when it wasn't occupied by the Dunnes workers protesting. (Next time you hear that goofball Ben Dunne claiming to be a democrat remember the Dunnes workers).
Thanks from:
19-11-2008, 08:38   #14
dSTAR

Ahhh yes some good memories of Dublin coming back now.

I used to frequent The Ivy Rooms, Bartley's, The Old Chinaman (which was a mad house) and Bruxelles with the mods on one side and the rockers on the other.

There was a pub opposite Bartleys which I can't for the life remember the name of which is/was called The Hairy Lemon the last time I was there about 10 years ago. Anyone remember what it was called prior to that were the punks would drink overlooking the mods hanging out in Bartley's?
19-11-2008, 14:23   #15
Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchyco View Post
I use to go see them and all the other bands that were around at the time in the baggot inn and was never out of Bruxelles ,the Baily , Mc Daids....... oh it's all coming back now .
God, I must know you.. I celebrated my 15th birthday in Bruxelles - for yrs I told the folks I was going to the flics, used to get the bus into town with my mates for 45p and sip one coke for the night and get the last bus home..

Moved on to McDaids and the Bailey and does anyone remember the Source? Near McGonagles I think... (had moved off the coke by that stage, so was always plastered when I did go)

I still love Bruxelles but mainly upstairs, went downstairs a while back to reminisce and it was all changed and weird looking

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion