Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

scarifying

Options
  • 29-03-2020 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi,

I just cut cut the garden for the first time this year due to weather. now i was planning to scarify the lawn i have not done this before lawn is about size of tennis court. but i now seen there is product called mo bacter so question is which is better and would results be the same?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I would just scarify it, its a mechanical process and works. Haven't used MoBactor but I think it is expensive enough without guaranteed results.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you have a scarifying blade or a power raker blade?
    Also is it a moss problem or a thatch problem you are trying to solve?

If its just moss then mo-bactor will eat the moss and save you having to take it up.
    if its thatch then you need to remove it I'm afraid.

Either way, unfortunately the temps are still a bit low for good recovery, also I believe MoBactor needs 12* before it will work.

Be prepared for your lawn to look pretty bad for a couple of weeks after this, depending on the current state of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭damienf1

GreeBo wrote: »

If its just moss then mo-bactor will eat the moss and save you having to take it up.

Either way, unfortunately the temps are still a bit low for good recovery, also I believe MoBactor needs 12* before it will work.

Be prepared for your lawn to look pretty bad for a couple of weeks after this, depending on the current state of course.

Think might be bit both i have attached photos for you to see

Think problem is both i have attached photo for you to see any help be great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I havent scarified for about 2 to 3 years , the amount of thatch is very noticable underfoot. Definitely on the list for this year, ground is still a bit soft to do it now, its heavy clay. Will look worse before it gets better, but definitely good for the lawn.

• Advertisement

You probably have moss as we all do really
    To check for thatch you can cut out a section of the lawn (just a small one, make a triangular cut with a spade and lift out the sod.
    You will see 3 distinct (ish!) areas.
    Grass
    Thatch
    Soil

If the middle one is more than half an inch you should dethatch.
    Lawn-Thatch.jpg

You can also tell if you have too much thatch if your lawn is springy underfoot. This can also be moss but mostly its thatch.
    Finally, when you look at the section you extracted, check if the grass roots are in the soil are just in the thatch layer. Thatch acts as a water and oxygen barrier, so if its been there a long time the grass has no choice but to start rooting in the thats since thats where the water and oxygen are.
    You may end up with a VERY very bare lawn if the above has happened, so be warned and maybe only do 1 pass over with the scarifier for now.

A power rake will have spring tines on a rotating drum, they are great for pulling out moss (especially when dead) but they dont really enter the thatch, especially if its thick. Also they wear out quickly and can break off if you try to go too deep.
    A dethatching blade will have multiple solid metal tines. These do enter the soil and are designed to cut the thatch out. Depending on how sharp the blades are they can also act as verti-cutters, which can help to thicken up your crass but cutting the stolons and rhizomes and encouraging new growth (just like pruning a regular plant)
    If your blades are dull (or not designed to be sharp) going too deeply in a single run can tip everything out, including the grass. so little and often is the way to go.

After power raking your lawn might look bare due to missing moss, after scarifying your lawn will have lots of parallel cut strips. These will fill in as the temps improve and we get some rain.
    Enjoy!

I've just finished mine (2 passes with a power rake and 2 with the scarifier)
    i'll try to throw up some photos later.

Another warning to add is that you will have BAGS and BAGS of crap to dispose of afterwards.

To give some perspective, I can cut my lawn and only empty the bag two or 3 times..
    Using the mower to collect the moss/thatch meant I had to empty it 15+ times, I was barely getting one length of the garden per bag in some places!

You should add any moss killer/weed killer a couple of weeks before you are planning to scarify as it will help to both pull up the moss and also stop you spreading weeds.

Then scarify and apply some fertilizer, assuming the weather has picked up of course.
    Finally you may need to topdress and overseed any very bare areas as otherwise you have created a lovely spot for weeds!

As long as you have some grass plants left, even pretty bare areas will fill in, the hardest thing to do in Ireland is stop grass from growing really!

When i do mine i use an electric one, with the bag off and tricking machine to work without the bag. I will have volumes of thatch and will use the ride on to collect. I will cut cut grass before scarifying and will probably fill the box on ride on about 6 times doing the collection of the thatch. 3/4 acre site hence the ride on.

secman wrote: »
    When i do mine i use an electric one, with the bag off and tricking machine to work without the bag. I will have volumes of thatch and will use the ride on to collect. I will cut cut grass before scarifying and will probably fill the box on ride on about 6 times doing the collection of the thatch. 3/4 acre site hence the ride on.

Yeah thats a good shout, I also use an electric and I keep the bag off and rear door slightly open with some bungee cords.

Shin pads and safety goggles are important here!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Making a pull behind scarifyer here. Hope to have it done next week. Runs behind the ride on.
    Just with dry bright days I’ve been off at other stuff.

• Advertisement

See attachment for photo i think its both not sure what's best

^ When adding an attachment make sure you click "upload" on the right hand side after selecting the file....

Yeah thats a good shout, I also use an electric and I keep the bag off and rear door slightly open with some bungee cords.

Shin pads and safety goggles are important here!

Loose wellies and safety glasses are a must.

_Brian wrote: »
    Making a pull behind scarifyer here. Hope to have it done next week. Runs behind the ride on.

That sounds the biz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Just to add to Greebo’s informative posts, there is a lot of good info in the following website:
    https://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/topic/scarifying-raking:

_Brian wrote: »

Is it "just" a drag behind or will the blades/tines be motorised?

Is it "just" a drag behind or will the blades/tines be motorised?

Just drag with spring loaded tines

Sorry guys dont know why posted few times it wouldn't upload at the start sondont know if photo when up. Ill try again might scarify it just not sure what tondo after its done probably need step by step guide whats the best products to buy after etc thanks for help guys

^
    Yep, a good scarifying will make a difference (well, after it all fills in it will! :))

Even just removing the old, old yellow grass will green up the appearance of your lawn.
    As the temps increase and we get some bloody rain, it will fill in any small gaps.

Large gaps will need to be top dressed and some seed spread, but even without this they will fill in eventually, though you will need to weed frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I know it is not the thread But where could I buy tines to replace snapped ones On my electric rake.

• Advertisement

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    I know it is not the thread But where could I buy tines to replace snapped ones On my electric rake.

Amazon

or ebay, I got my entire machine there.

Oh and for anyone else using an electric machine, of any time.
    Always start closest to your power source and work perpendicular to it. That way you are not constantly moving the power cord out of the way!

damienf1 wrote: »
    Sorry guys dont know why posted few times it wouldn't upload at the start sondont know if photo when up. Ill try again might scarify it just not sure what tondo after its done probably need step by step guide whats the best products to buy after etc thanks for help guys

First step is to scarify, the follow up steps will depend on what you are left with afterwards!
    There is no major rush as temps are still cold so your grass is dormant-ish.

After tonight the next 10 days are showing minimum night temps of about 7° and daytime max of about 12 to 13° so grass will be growing for sure.

secman wrote: »
    After tonight the next 10 days are showing minimum night temps of about 7° and daytime max of about 12 to 13° so grass will be growing for sure.

Not for me unfortunately, down below 4 degrees at night and not much above 8 during the day. It's also bone dry without any rain for the last 2+ weeks.

In any case, we have excellent growth periods in Ireland, the grass will recover no matter when you do it, its just a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Are the electric scarifiers good or would I be better off hiring a petrol one?
    There's also rakes you can attach to a ride on. Any benefit?

Depends on the size of you lawn.
    Petrol are better in general, but overkill for smaller lawns.

use the ride on to collect all the crap afterwards, you will have bales of it!

Not for me unfortunately, down below 4 degrees at night and not much above 8 during the day. It's also bone dry without any rain for the last 2+ weeks.

In any case, we have excellent growth periods in Ireland, the grass will recover no matter when you do it, its just a matter of time.

Thanks definitely think need some lawn dressing not sure where get bags of this yet or how much i will need what best lawn fertilizer to use after i put laen dressing down? Also what about some lime would that help.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Hello Greebo - what would be your opinion on my grass? (Asking as you brought up the photo of the thatched soil above).

We just moved in recently and there's a lot of moss in our garden and it get's very damp when it rains. I thought it was just really bad drainage / I've no clue really so I decided to do a triangular cut as you suggested and here's my findings:

https://imgur.com/a/DGZitkB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Ordered mine Monday on Amazon so hopefully will have it next few weeks.... Something to keep me busy for a few days
    :D:D

Advertisement