Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

hello all, have had a "dalek" type compost bin for 15 years. it has consumed easily twenty times its volume in that time, perhaps more.

I posted on here some years ago about finding worms on top , trapped as it were by the lid. I was unable to tell if they were escaping or wanting in.

lately its not doing much composting, mostly household veg left overs and quite a lot of dry leaves in autumn,

so with the lockdown ,I have time to spare,

getting compost out id difficult as it is fairly solid, above the hatch. got a wheelbarrow full out though, punched a bar through from the top , to reach the now one foot high space on the bottom.

I pushed in loads of dead twigs in the door so the remaining composting stuff, about 15 inches deep could not collapse .

stirred up the top stuff well and put in some cut grass.

My question is , not having spotted more than a few worms, while mixing it up, I wonder where I will get more from.

having read through several threads here ,it is suggested that they will get attracted in(I presume if my reinvigoration of the contents attracts them)
    if ever there were holes in the bottom they are long inaccessible as the bin has more or less sunk into the ground.

crawling in the open door gets them into my now twig filled bottom portion. I don't imagine the lower layers of finished compost would attract them. this leaves it that if they are to crawl up the outside ,at night I think, they need to be attracted out of the ground by the nice composting smells. its a long hike .

also on threads here its suggested that when there is good supply of food, they breed quicker

so, any tips to get it composting at a good rate

am I mad? yes ,a bit

Regards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how damp is it?

how damp is it?

the top half of my compost bin, the half I assume is working, or which I want to get working better is quite moist

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're putting in quite a lot of dry leaves, you may need to just take it all out and mix it up. you need a good mix of greens and browns, but if they're layered rather than mixed, it won't compost efficiently.
    and take a leak into it every so often.

Thank you for your replies

in the autumn I stuffed the top one foot with dry leaves

since then only household scraps

am doing a good bit of mixing now

but the question is ,where will more worms come from

regards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The worms will come through the ground, from the bottom up. It's probably still a little bit cold for them to be in fully active:0 when the temperature rises, so will their activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭macraignil

Earth worms live in the soil so should come up from there. Sounds like you might have made a dry layer in the composter that they were not able to travel through very easily.

macraignil wrote: »
    Earth worms live in the soil so should come up from there. Sounds like you might have made a dry layer in the composter that they were not able to travel through very easily.

Right Folks, am not getting worms afaik. my dalek is 80% full, the bottom eight inches have been extracted , from there up is a mixture of veg peelings ,cut grass and dry leaves . it is fairly moist, has hundreds of tiny flies, and quite a few slater/woodlice in the depths. hardly a worm.

I googled this and it recommends against importing in garden worms as they will die in there. there are references to buying the right type of worm(perhaps " wrigglies"), but I doubt they can be bought hereabouts

Mc craignil suggests they cannot get in ,or cannot be bothered getting in from the bottom, either impenetrable of tasteless.

someone suggested peeing into it, is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

rugbyman wrote: »
    Right Folks, am not getting worms afaik. my dalek is 80% full, the bottom eight inches have been extracted , from there up is a mixture of veg peelings ,cut grass and dry leaves . it is fairly moist, has hundreds of tiny flies, and quite a few slater/woodlice in the depths. hardly a worm.

I googled this and it recommends against importing in garden worms as they will die in there. there are references to buying the right type of worm(perhaps " wrigglies"), but I doubt they can be bought hereabouts

Mc craignil suggests they cannot get in ,or cannot be bothered getting in from the bottom, either impenetrable of tasteless.

Thanks in advance

I've seen it mentioned on FB groups.

Adding urea is always a good thing. Got some spread on my field last year. Just ask a farmer if it's a good idea :D.

Edit, won't do any harm, but don't be seen ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Chamberpots will have to come back into fashion. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I'v never had that many worms in the dalek composter I have at home for a few years, even though it's on the lawn.

I wouldn't worry about it if there is a good mix in there, iv every other type of woodlice, flies, slugs and general creepy crawlies all working away in there happily.

It's quite amazing to see some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

rugbyman wrote: »

Thanks in advance
    I never have worms in the dalek type bins. Great compost though, if turned regularly.

i have juiced apples for cider making and put the pulp in the compost bin after (which is usually late in the year when the bin is going dormant) and have never seen worm activity like it. maybe the last of the sugars in the pulp is fermenting and the worms are all drunk, but i've seen balls of worms the size of my fist once or twice after doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭loco-colo

I have pile that I call slow cooker - between two plastic pallets / and a tumbler - the pressure cooker.

Sometimes take from pile to finish in tumbler.

Tumbler is brilliant - introduces the air that you need with carbon - brown stuff - snd nitrogen - green stuff plus kitchen scraps etc - fourth component is moisture which can be rain water etc -

A good sprinkling of mens pee is the best accelerator - I always have a two litre milk carton nearby - I produce six to eight litres a day - sometimes Budweiser flavoured - or Bulmers - no Guinness with pubs locked down.

On top of plastic pallet you can see little tray that I slide under tumbler to collect seepage - liquid gold - sometimes I pour it back in to let it run through twice - mix this in with watering can for flowers etc.

Couple of rhubarb leaves thrown on pile this morning - will chop them up a bit later.

Always run over bags of leaves with lawn mower before adding in.

Picture of inside tumbler there with some worms visible - if I manage to post pictures - as the tumbler is off the ground they did not come from there.

All I do is add a shovel from bottom of pile when I am starting a new batch in tumbler and this is what it ends up like.

I also usually pick up a bag of horse manure when I pass a stable - I am in Terenure so have to travel a bit - and if I am near the sea grab some washed up seaweed.

The allotments usually have horse manure too.

Love compost.

Sorry - cannot post feckin photos - changed size to small on iphone but won't work.

Advertisement