Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two way switching

Options
  • 04-04-2020 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭

Got a switch in middle of shed.
    Old style switch so,
    B
    B1
    B2
    Are the labelled connections.

Switched Live goes from B1 to lights.
    Both Earths connected to box terminal.
    Both Neutrals connected in terminal block.
    Live In good to B.

I want to add another switch so I can also control lights at door way.

Do I need four core wire to do this or can it be done with three core? I can only see diagrams requiring 4 core.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Got a switch in middle of shed.
    Old style switch so,
    B
    B1
    B2
    Are the labelled connections.

Switched Live goes from B1 to lights.
    Both Earths connected to box terminal.
    Both Neutrals connected in terminal block.
    Live In good to B.

I want to add another switch so I can also control lights at door way.

Do I need four core wire to do this or can it be done with three core? I can only see diagrams requiring 4 core.

4 core between switches. one of them being the earth.

I drew it out before, this method being useful for adding in a second switch to existing one, so feed and switch wire stay at the existing switch. Existing switch is the one on left. So all that needs to be done is 4 wires from existing to new position (earth+3 for switching)

Diagram doesnt show earth.
    2-way-switching_2_orig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You will need a four core (three conductors and an earth)

There are often just two wires linking the switches, but that doesn't really suit your existing set up unless you want to run lots of new cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks that is what I thought I needed and that is a similar schematic what I seen elsewhere.

Just rechecking this now that I've got the cabling in place. The bit that was confusing me initially was that there is no neutral at the second switch. All three are potentially live so I'll need to mask the ends to notify this.

Job done. Working a treat.

Thanks.

There was a neon indicator on it that they wanted to illuminate to show power but as its no neutral I could not power it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement