Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-04-2020, 19:51   #1
The Parish King

Beginner (kinda) to Running

Howdy folks!

With the recent restrictions on leaving the home unless exercising, it’s given me a bit of a kick to properly get in to running.

I’d have been quite active playing football until 4 or 5 years ago, and always considered myself as being able to recover my base fitness level pretty quickly (considering I am most definitely unfit at this stage).

My first run was a bit over 3km at a pace of 5:20 mins per km, with my run the following day a bit more of a struggle but only marginally slower.

My target is to get down to a 24 min 5k soon enough (could be unreasonable - keep me honest on this!), and then look to push further improvement from there. Any advice on a plan I should follow, or where I could find one? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Advertisement
02-04-2020, 11:12   #2
crisco10

If I were you I wouldn't go to mad on following a plan, especially if you have some level of fitness (i.e. are beyond Couch to 5km).

Just concentrate on getting out (safely) when you can and increase your load (distance and/or pace) gradually. You should get lots of quick gains purely by dint of getting out more.

Finally, and most importantly, don't make the mistake of "smashing" every run. Estimates vary, but about 75% of your running should be done at easy-ish pace. If it were me, going out say 4 times a week, I'd be doing 3 easy, within my comfort zone, don't look at the clock runs. And 1 which was either slightly longer, or a bit of a time trial. i.e. "hard" in some way.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion