Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Freddie Kitchens joining as TE coach

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm liking our coaching hires, I have to say. Colombo is expected to be hired for the OL as well, which is a massive improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Seeing as there is some other stuff going on in the world, maybe try and take our minds off it by trying to guess what Dave Gettleman will come up with in free agency! Reports at the minute are saying the Giants will tag Leonard Williams. Shaq Barrett has been tagged by the Bucs so that is one option off the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

He had to tag Williams

He got himself into some bind with that trade

If the Titans don't tag Conklin I think we make serious moves for him

Blast Cleveland gets Conklin

• Advertisement

Giants signing LB Blake Martinez in NFL free agency overhaul

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/giants-signing-lb-blake-martinez-in-defensive-nfl-free-agency-overhaul/

three-year deal worth a reported $30 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Very happy with Bradberry. Not so with Martinez . He looks like another Gettleman "look how clever I am " picks.Still no coverage back there. I was hoping they would splash for Conklin and then go for Simmons in the draft. Now I guess their draft pick will be a tackle

I was hoping Golden would be resigned but after Fackrell, it doesnt look like it. I hope they get his 2018 production out of him again.Another gamble

Toilolo looks like he would be very useful at the back of the endzone and also on short yardage plays so Saquon doesnt have to try and plow through the pack.

Oh, and I hope they get a chance to play a blame game and save face with Williams and say they wanted him but he was asking for too much. Dont want to see 13 or 14 mill spent there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY/status/1240260232393011201

I was surprised that we are so "cash strapped" having got rid of so many high priced assets and dead money and also now having a QB on a rookie contract.
    The Leonard Williams deal really handcuffed us to do anything more serious in FA.

Signing today

Cameron Flemming OT $4m
    Nate Ebner ST/LB
    Colt McCoy QB $2.25m

We're screwed if Jones gets injured

• Advertisement

Most teams are screwed when their QB goes down.

McCoy isn't completely horrendous. At that price, I'm comfortable enough with it.

Resign Williams, reduce his cap hit, and I think its been a decent offseason. I like that the contracts have been structured in a way that allows us to move on from players in a year or two without any real cap hit too.

Looking forward to seeing how we shape up after the draft.

Would rather McCoy than Alex Tanney. We have always been blessed with the health of Eli and never had to spend on the backup QB.

Giants signing RB Díon Lewis and WR/KR Corey Coleman

Not bad additions, really. Hopefully nothing too expensive, contract wise.

Coleman showed some promise as a returner and a backup receiver before his injury.

Wonder will Gallman be kept on, or will they try to trade now.

Was listening to Jordan Ranan on his podcast who praised the Bradberry and Martinez contracts in that at least we will have no dead money because there were no signing bonuses. Also, saying that it seems we have finally accepted that it's a project and not a quick fix.

Cannot see us going any other way than an tackle for his hog mollies in the draft. Would like to see Wilfs I think. Although in truth I have no idea. :D

Dream scenario for me is to trade down and get Wills.

If they take Simmons at 4, I won't complain. However, a player like that, with no real defined role, makes me a bit nervous.

Knex. wrote: »
    Dream scenario for me is to trade down and get Wills.

If they take Simmons at 4, I won't complain. However, a player like that, with no real defined role, makes me a bit nervous.

With the investment on D so far in FA, I just cannot see us taking Simmons. Think it is nailed on we go OL and then who between Wirfs, Wills, Thomas and Becton seems to change by the mock draft.

Problem trading down is how far? The Kyle Allen deal eliminates anyone thinking that the Redskins will take a QB and same could be said of Lions with Stafford. Does that make #4 a valuable slot to get ahead of the Dolphins or Chargers. Reading yesterday that everything the Dolphins have done points to them going with Fitz magic this year, taking a tackle and looking for a QB next year. So could be that everyone is happy to stay home.

So 1 day until the draft

I think we will go OT but I'm finding it hard to differentiate between the top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    So 1 day until the draft

I think we will go OT but I'm finding it hard to differentiate between the top 4
    Sounds like it'd be a good idea to trade back a little, plenty of stock there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The_Dave wrote: »
    Sounds like it'd be a good idea to trade back a little, plenty of stock there

Clearly the Giants idea also given the embarrassingly obvious 'leak' this week that they were considering Herbert at 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

so what about the 2nd round? The consensus seems to be centre, where there is only Pulley. I assume its between Ruiz & Cushenberrry. I watched some you tube footage tonight to compare the 2. Cushenberry is certainly a bank for a QB. Rarely gets beaten (in college anyway) but doesnt seem to venture beyond the LOS. If his man is gone or beaten, he seems to look for something else to do behind the LOS, even to the extent of double-teaming a defender who is already going nowhere

Ruiz tends to let his man get past him if he is losing the battle and then move beyound the LOS and look for something to do, like blocking for a run. Sometimes , though he ends up in empty space being of no use. Compared to Cushenberry, he seems to take more of an interest in the big picture of what the defence are up to and try to plan accordingly. He could be holding someone off with 1 arm while having a look around. Cushinberry seems to be focused on getting 1 guy and stopping himg from getting to the QB .In that sense, I assume Ruiz would appeal more to Judge. And Ruiz is only 20 so some more bulk could be added there

Leonard Williams signs his franchise tag

Lot of money, a third and a 2021 5th rounder used so far

human 19 wrote: »
    so what about the 2nd round? The consensus seems to be centre, where there is only Pulley. I assume its between Ruiz & Cushenberrry. I watched some you tube footage tonight to compare the 2. Cushenberry is certainly a bank for a QB. Rarely gets beaten (in college anyway) but doesnt seem to venture beyond the LOS. If his man is gone or beaten, he seems to look for something else to do behind the LOS, even to the extent of double-teaming a defender who is already going nowhere

Ruiz tends to let his man get past him if he is losing the battle and then move beyound the LOS and look for something to do, like blocking for a run. Sometimes , though he ends up in empty space being of no use. Compared to Cushenberry, he seems to take more of an interest in the big picture of what the defence are up to and try to plan accordingly. He could be holding someone off with 1 arm while having a look around. Cushinberry seems to be focused on getting 1 guy and stopping himg from getting to the QB .In that sense, I assume Ruiz would appeal more to Judge. And Ruiz is only 20 so some more bulk could be added there

Ruiz seems to be mocked higher all the time

One thing if we don't trade down from 4 is that there's a lot of time between picks 36 to our next at 99

Bit afraid of going Wirfs, as he seems more of a guard than a tackle, and has some sloppy technique at times. Also not as dominant as he should have been, looking at this combine.

I think my order of preference is:

1a)Wills
    1b)Thomas
    3)Becton
    4)Wirfs

If we trade down and get any of them though, I'll be very happy.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Clearly the Giants idea also given the embarrassingly obvious 'leak' this week that they were considering Herbert at 4.
    I watch a good bit of Pro Football Talk and they made a good point, it would be remiss of the Giants not to do their homework on him, as i f a team wanted to tradeup for the Giants pick then the Giants need to know how much the trade should be worth and who that team would likely take.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The_Dave wrote: »
    I watch a good bit of Pro Football Talk and they made a good point, it would be remiss of the Giants not to do their homework on him, as i f a team wanted to tradeup for the Giants pick then the Giants need to know how much the trade should be worth and who that team would likely take.

No matter how good you value the player, the market is only as good as the number of teams that want to move up. I've no problem with them doing their intel on him, they were apparently keen on him if he declared last year, my issue is more the fact it 'leaked' the week of the draft. Stinks of desperation to try to drum up interest/price because it isn't there.

No matter how bad the draft is always full of teams desperate to move up (usually to get a qb), no matter how often you think rationally about it once draft night hits logic goes out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Has anyone been a fan long enough to remember the last time we traded down in the first round?

When was that?

I don't think so lol

• Advertisement

So Andrew Thomas is the pick

Hopefully Gettleman picked the best OT

Advertisement