Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church in different parish

Options
  • 28-02-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All

Getting married in Feb 2021 and we want to have the ceremony in a church near the venue, rather than our local parish. Ideally my fiancee would like his local parish priest to do the mass. I dont really know where to start with this, if anyone has any advice I'd be greatful. Hoping the church won't have an issue with us getting married there and bringing our own priest.

Thanks in advance
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭con747

JudyN wrote: »
    Hi All

Getting married in Feb 2021 and we want to have the ceremony in a church near the venue, rather than our local parish. Ideally my fiancee would like his local parish priest to do the mass. I dont really know where to start with this, if anyone has any advice I'd be greatful. Hoping the church won't have an issue with us getting married there and bringing our own priest.

Thanks in advance
    J

I have been to plenty of weddings were the couple had their local parish priest do the ceremony in a different church. I don't see any issues unless the two priests have personal issues.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JudyN

Thanks for the reply. I have also (although not with someone bringing in their own priest), but when looking at the website of the church we want to get married in there is some information on this, and it seems to be a bit of a rigmarole. Was just looking to speak to someone who may have had personal experiences organising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

JudyN wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I have also (although not with someone bringing in their own priest), but when looking at the website of the church we want to get married in there is some information on this, and it seems to be a bit of a rigmarole. Was just looking to speak to someone who may have had personal experiences organising it.

First of all you have to ask your priest of choice if he is free that day and if he’d mind going to this other parish, then you simply speak to the PP at the church of your choice and ask him if this would be ok.
    Is there a reason why you’re reluctant to do this? It would seem very straightforward especially as you say your fiancé is friendly with his local priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Talk to the priest when you're at mass on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

A letter from the parish priest where you reside to the parish you want to get married in, used to be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

You will both need to get a release form from your own parishes to be allowed to marry in a different parish.

If the church is free on that date and you organise a priest to perform then it’s straightforward.

You need to give your parish a bit of notice though to organise the release form. I’m in the process of doing the same.

Advertisement