Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding games

• 12-01-2020 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi All

We want to do something for a bit of craic at the tables at our wedding, any suggestions?

We were just buying our sweets for the candy cart and an idea entered our head but looking for other ppls opinions on it....to buy MEGA SOUR sweets, hand one out to each guest when all seated, everyone to take it together and whoever can eat the sweet for the longest time wins a round of drink for the table?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

audi02 wrote: »
    Hi All

We want to do something for a bit of craic at the tables at our wedding, any suggestions?

We were just buying our sweets for the candy cart and an idea entered our head but looking for other ppls opinions on it....to buy MEGA SOUR sweets, hand one out to each guest when all seated, everyone to take it together and whoever can eat the sweet for the longest time wins a round of drink for the table?!

Really? Sounds a bit like a kids party game tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s your wedding, if that’s what you want to do then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

jlm29 wrote: »
    Really? Sounds a bit like a kids party game tbh

Sure were all kids at heart😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hi All

Sound like allot of fun lol, the prize is great so if say it will be competitive.

What will the guests do with the sweet they’ve spat out of their mouths though?

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    What will the guests do with the sweet they’ve spat out of their mouths though?

They can go back in the box they came out of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Maybe. But I’ve always found that people organising “craic” for other people to have, Is generally not much craic at all. But maybe that’s just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It could be fun but I think it'll be too much hassle. It'll be hard watch all guests at one time across table to see who has sweet longest and an even bigger issue is people will definetly cheat, especially if already had a few drinks by then. Some my get annoyed if they suspect someone cheated and might be a bit of a confrontation later in the night after another rake of drink.

As I said, good idea in theory but not worth the hassle imo.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Maybe. But I’ve always found that people organising “craic” for other people to have, Is generally not much craic at all. But maybe that’s just me.

What I notice in recent years is that there can be a lot of pre wedding anxiety with the B&G worrying needlessly that guests won’t “enjoy” the wedding and there won’t be a super fun lively atmosphere at the reception, so there’s a temptation to force a bit of craic on them.
    That’s where the idea for the photo booth with the props and children’s toy instruments at the tables etc etc came from.
    In actual fact of course guests make their own “craic” with a bit of banter and slagging and so on the way irish people do at every social occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not worth the hassle. At all. Most of these ideas and wacky notions usually fall completely flat.

• Advertisement

Ah I dont think guests will go fighting at the bar over it now or anythin ha ha...they're only winning a round of drink not the lotto or anythin. I donno of any of ye has ever actually tried the sweets in question but they are very hard to hold in your mouth for more than 5 seconds so I'd say half the gang would be sitting by then...and the photographer mite get some good pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

What I notice in recent years is that there can be a lot of pre wedding anxiety with the B&G worrying needlessly that guests won’t “enjoy” the wedding and there won’t be a super fun lively atmosphere at the reception, so there’s a temptation to force a bit of craic on them.
    That’s where the idea for the photo booth with the props and children’s toy instruments at the tables etc etc came from.
    In actual fact of course guests make their own “craic” with a bit of banter and slagging and so on the way irish people do at every social occasion.

I’d agree with this. People know what to expect from a wedding and trying to introduce forced fun will just stress the b&g out and will then be ignored by the majority of the guests.

A friend of mind said that the most stressful part of organizing his wedding was getting specific sweets for each table and guest and nobody noticed them. It was a waste of time.

I’m getting married in July and won’t be bothering with favours, photo booths, or games etc. Nobody will miss them if they’re not there and they done really improve the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I’d agree with this. People know what to expect from a wedding and trying to introduce forced fun will just stress the b&g out and will then be ignored by the majority of the guests.

A friend of mind said that the most stressful part of organizing his wedding was getting specific sweets for each table and guest and nobody noticed them. It was a waste of time.

I’m getting married in July and won’t be bothering with favours, photo booths, or games etc. Nobody will miss them if they’re not there and they done really improve the night.

Imagine tying yourself up in knots buying sweets... Definitely something I'd have completely missed sitting at a table.

Oh god we wont be losing sleep or anything over it and theres not much hassle to it really! Bigger worries in life now than a few sweets!

lawred2 wrote: »
    Imagine tying yourself up in knots buying sweets... Definitely something I'd have completely missed sitting at a table.

People put themselves under a ridiculous amount of pressure. There may be close family and friends laying the pressure on too in the background. Well meaning enough friends and family but unhelpful ultimately.
    As long as your wedding is:
    1: Not too far to travel to or difficult to get too or has reasonably priced accommodation nearby
    2: not too long hanging around between the ceremony and the reception
    4: involves short sincere speeches after the food
    3: involves enough tasty food and a bar and a bit of music and plenty of room to dance then guests will enjoy it.
    Suggesting that anything else is necessary or required is rubbish imo.

I see on a wedding page on Facebook, there are lads now trying to rent out Virtual Reality headsets and games for weddings.

It's gotten completely silly. I'm a photographer and I've done my fair share of weddings. All these ideas are sh/te. All of them. They have nothing at all to do with a wedding.

Unless you're planning to have a load of kids at the wedding, don't bother. Your guests will care more about how close and how expensive the venue is than they will about any of the 'mad craic' nonsense you pack into it.

Honestly, if you have to come up with a load of this kinda stuff to stop people from being bored out of their faces, then take a better look at 1) the schedule for the day and 2) the people you're inviting.

The amount of people I see at weddings that only see the bride and groom at the end of the church to wish them well is amazing. It's surprising how many guests are at weddings that don't even know the bride/groom.

The wedding industry really is in full swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Might be ok if it's all a young crowd but that sort of thing will just make any older people feel uncomfortable.
    They may go along with it to be polite but most won't enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

I would agree with the the posters here, I wouldn't go to the stress or hassle of something like this. People make their own craic at weddings. I'd spend more time sorting the table plan to put suitable people together. That said I'm one of the people that had a photo booth at mine (7years ago), it wasn't really to force/make craic tho, I had seen it at one other wedding and thought it was great way of getting photos of the guests. I love the album we have from it. Some people still have their photos stuck to their fridge etc... I'm sure others left them behind on the night. Either way, i don't think it added or took much from the day for guests. A lot of people used it during the break before the band started and others during the break the band took. Something to do I guess, but no one was going around pestering people to use it, which i have seen since.
    At the end of the day its your wedding so you know your guests the best. To really enjoy it, spend time with your guests make them feel welcome and part of the day, have good food and a good band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just stick a bowl in the middle of the table and let them all fire their keys into it.
    They will know the game from there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

wuffly wrote: »
    To really enjoy it, spend time with your guests make them feel welcome and part of the day, have good food and a good band.

This is all people remember, everything else is just fluff, usually expensive fluff at that. I’ve never woken up the day after a wedding and said wasn’t the sweet cart or the roulette table fun. Good music, food and real unforced fun is all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Hi All

I’d be worried that the disgusting sweet would make the starter taste weird. Maybe only do it with a table of kids/teens as a bit of extra fun for them after desert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

lawred2 wrote: »

Yeah, it was crazy. I didn't even notice them until he came over and asked what I thought of them.

I actually think that he found the rest of the planning quite easy and stress free so took this on himself. Waste of time in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Most recent weddings I have been at have had wedding guest bingo, how well do you know the bride & groom games, guess the length of the speeches, guess how many times key phrases would be said like 'thank you for coming', 'my lovely wife' and others I cant remember. They were for the whole table to either participate in or not, some tables did, some didn't, but it was great for people who may not have known each other to get to know each other a little. These were easy and in some weddings organised by the bride & groom, in a couple of them, the tables just invented the games themselves to get through the boredom of the speeches.

Alot of very good points here...thanks everyone for yere help

I hope you have a great time organizing your wedding. Yourself and fiancé sound like a fun pair. Don’t forget, it’s your wedding and you should plan whatever you want and let the begrudgers go to hell!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It wouldn't appeal to me, and it would be hard to manage, I think.
    Each to their own, however, and you would have a better idea of whether or not it would appeal to your guests.
    Don't worry too much about games / entertainment, once all the other bits are well done, good meal, good music, nothing long drawn out or people being left waiting around, for the sake of it e.g, before the ceremony.

Most people are quite happy to relax a bit, in between times.

Thinking back to the most recent wedding attended, the family were gone for a while, probably less than an hour, for photos. We were all relaxing, chatting, they had arranged lovely piano music, drinks, tea and coffee, and we barely noticed that they were gone. Only afterwards the groom told me they were worried about that time. And there was absolutely no need. They had set it up to be nice and relaxing, and that's exactly what it was.

I hope you have a great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Just thinking of the other entertainment that worked at weddings I have been at recently - one had a karaoke band, another had a fairly well known comedian who took one person up from each table as part of his act, and then theres the usual photo booth with props.

Whatever you choose to do enjoy it, and remember that just because something did or did not work for another bride and groom doesn't mean the same for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Hi All

Nobody wants this at a wedding tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

OP on the one hand, it's your wedding, so do what you like! In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal if you do this and it doesn't go down well with the guests.

However as you're asking for opinions, as a guest, I wouldn't really be into this tbh. It's a bit gimmicky, I hate sour sweets and I wouldn't want to feel pressured to participate. I'd still go along with it and it wouldn't ruin the day or anything, but it just wouldn't be my cup of tea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hi All

Sounds fun enough but many people will opt out probably. I know my parents would both get really upset stomachs from trying to eat a sour sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi All

It sounds like zero craic to be honest. People have willingly turned up to your wedding. Let them get on with having their drinks and meal in peace and not force them to participate in this rubbish. I'd just ignore it and sit down with my drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

OP, to be honest I don't think this would work out in practice the way you have it in your head. I don't know how many guests you're having but think the few minutes it would take to hand out the sweets, explain the game etc, and for what - not that many people would actually be bothered in taking part, I could see it being a bit of a flop. Plus, you say the photographer could get some great pics - but you've also said that the sweets are hard to keep in your mouth for more than 5 seconds or so. It doesn't work out.

To be honest, I hate anything gimmicky at weddings, I generally enjoy having the chats and craic with whoever's at my table, whether or not I know them. Many don't enjoy being made do stuff in front of other people, too - remember nobody at your wedding knows all the other guests.
    People don't need that much entertaining to enjoy your day - chill out and enjoy it yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

What I notice in recent years is that there can be a lot of pre wedding anxiety with the B&G worrying needlessly that guests won’t “enjoy” the wedding...

Isn't this the very definition of a big wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

The Cool wrote: »
    OP, to be honest I don't think this would work out in practice the way you have it in your head. I don't know how many guests you're having but think the few minutes it would take to hand out the sweets, explain the game etc, and for what - not that many people would actually be bothered in taking part, I could see it being a bit of a flop. Plus, you say the photographer could get some great pics - but you've also said that the sweets are hard to keep in your mouth for more than 5 seconds or so. It doesn't work out.

To be honest, I hate anything gimmicky at weddings, I generally enjoy having the chats and craic with whoever's at my table, whether or not I know them. Many don't enjoy being made do stuff in front of other people, too - remember nobody at your wedding knows all the other guests.
    People don't need that much entertaining to enjoy your day - chill out and enjoy it yourself :D

I believe in no gimmicks, and all about food and drink. That might sound very simplistic and old-school, but in my opinion that’s what people want as guests. So I’d spend the money on food / drink / music, and none on gimmicks. But you know your crowd. What do you think they’d prefer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Stumbled across this thread. We got married in July and the biggest talking point of our wedding was the magician we got instead of music at the drinks reception. So good in fact a friend booked him there and then for her wedding and was willing to forgo the deposit she had paid on a musician at her drinks reception to get him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement