Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get an office chair

• 26-03-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

This might not be the best thread but hoping someone can help. Anyone recommend somewhere to purchase an office chair (with armrests) which is good for computer work. Currently Working from Home and using a basic chair but don't want to do this long term as not great for posture and is very uncomfortable. Places like Argos seem to be sold out of all varieties.

Any help would be great as I suspect this could be a few months arrangement so probably worth shelling out for one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i got mine from viking direct they are 2 day delivery

i got this one
    https://www.vikingdirect.ie/en/operator-chair-task-p-7394756

basically because its a heavy duty one

plenty of cheaper ones in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I used this crowd in Northern Ireland, great value and a great sturdy chair. A little bit of assembly but easy.

https://www.raygardirect.com/search/for/computer+chair/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From memory Woodies sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Can you take yours from the office to use at home? That's what i did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Thanks everyone will take a look at those links.
    Telly wrote: »
    Can you take yours from the office to use at home? That's what i did.

I tried that and they wont allow us to take chairs unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I got a Songmics chair from Amazon. It’s a heavy duty one (for a heavy me). Ultimately none of these are manufactured in Ireland do I’m happy to go with Amazon which had a broader range and keener prices than Hunt or Viking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nickla

Any office supply company that’s still open - bizquip, Albany office supplies, Jones business systems are a few that might be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

That's a poor decision on their part. If you are working from home, apart from having I.T. connectivity, a good office type chair is important to have - important for your body - and for productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I am having the same problem...lower back pain now after two weeks in dodgy chair...shouldn't the company be liable for the costs of any chair purchase when wfh, just as you can claim for broadband, stationary etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

I ordered last Thursday from Viking Direct, apart for order confirmation email i have received any other information. I'm hoping delivery will be today or tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭magicmoves

I ordered last Wednesday from Viking Direct and got the order confirmation email but nothing else. I rang the help number and it just rang out. Hopefully mine will come sometime this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

This popped up in my Fb timeline. They supposed to sell 2nd hand office furniture, which could be a good deal if you need it temporarily.

https://www.boynesider.com/

magicmoves wrote: »
    I ordered last Wednesday from Viking Direct and got the order confirmation email but nothing else. I rang the help number and it just rang out. Hopefully mine will come sometime this week.

Report back if you hear anything please - i will do likewise.

budhabob wrote: »
    Report back if you hear anything please - i will do likewise.

I was talking to their chat on facebook but they could not give me an update. I may have to open a case on paypal and try another supplier, maybe ikea

I was talking to their chat on facebook but they could not give me an update. I may have to open a case on paypal and try another supplier, maybe ikea

I had a quick look on ikea and it seemed to be a May delivery. I sent a message on facebook aswell, waiting to hear back.

Any of you guys hear any more from Viking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭B0rG

Definitely not IKEA.

Ordered large items on 16th, the initial delivery was scheduled on 23, then all of a sudden moved to 1st of April.

1st of April - nothing happens, no notifications nor sms, IKEA chatbot is overloaded, once I finally got through to the rep got a PFO "we're working with Irish government to sort out the issue"...

No update from Viking. I have opened a case with paypal and will try and get my money back. Is there any place that will deliver a char within a week. Not sure how long this lockdown will go on for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

No update from Viking. I have opened a case with paypal and will try and get my money back. Is there any place that will deliver a char within a week. Not sure how long this lockdown will go on for.

Got one from Amazon
    Came within 4 working days

Latest update from Viking:
    Due to the current situation in regard to the coronavirus, we have further enhanced our security measures for our customer service staff, as the health of our customers as well as our employees is a priority.

As a result, our phone lines are temporarily closed and will ask our customers to contact us via our website. This may also result in longer waiting times for you. We are unable at this point to provide you with any estimated waiting times but you can be assured that we are trying our best to get back to you as soon as possible. You can still contact us on social media where we will be happy to answer any concerns, but we won’t be able to process any customer service queries through social media at the moment and will ask you to log your query via our website.

Regarding orders and deliveries, it is possible that products are temporarily out of stock or that the delivery time of certain items is longer. Please note that we cannot guarantee 24h delivery anymore. We do our best to deliver your goods as fast as we can.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience.

Keep safe, The Viking Team.

• Advertisement

Latest update from Viking:
    Due to the current situation in regard to the coronavirus, we have further enhanced our security measures for our customer service staff, as the health of our customers as well as our employees is a priority.

As a result, our phone lines are temporarily closed and will ask our customers to contact us via our website. This may also result in longer waiting times for you. We are unable at this point to provide you with any estimated waiting times but you can be assured that we are trying our best to get back to you as soon as possible. You can still contact us on social media where we will be happy to answer any concerns, but we won’t be able to process any customer service queries through social media at the moment and will ask you to log your query via our website.

Regarding orders and deliveries, it is possible that products are temporarily out of stock or that the delivery time of certain items is longer. Please note that we cannot guarantee 24h delivery anymore. We do our best to deliver your goods as fast as we can.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience.

Keep safe, The Viking Team.
    This is frustrating when they offer next day delivery on their site and items are clearly displayed as "In stock" at point of ordering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I ordered from Amazon in the end and got delivery day of April 9th (ie this day +1 next week) with prime for an office chair. I'll make do till then with my folding chair. I have a WFH setup usually but we never expected the two of us would have to work from home at the same time!

henke wrote: »
    This is frustrating when they offer next day delivery on their site and items are clearly displayed as "In stock" at point of ordering.

I hit them up on facebook, told i'd receive an email. Even one that says you wont have a chair for another week.

Contacted there this morning to see about cancelling the order, might just make my desk into a standing desk.

budhabob wrote: »
    I hit them up on facebook, told i'd receive an email. Even one that says you wont have a chair for another week.

Contacted there this morning to see about cancelling the order, might just make my desk into a standing desk.

The thing is they have charged people for chairs and go on their site today and you will see them as "in stock" and next delivery. This is clearly not true and they cannot handle the backlog yet the listings stays up and money is taken from people. I don't know but not too impressed with this outfit at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

henke wrote: »
    The thing is they have charged people for chairs and go on their site today and you will see them as "in stock" and next delivery. This is clearly not true and they cannot handle the backlog yet the listings stays up and money is taken from people. I don't know but not too impressed with this outfit at all.

Email/facebook/twitter them and tell them you're cancelling your order. they wont be long getting back to you.

So i just received the following email:

"Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you have not received your order.

I did check your Viking account XXXXXXX and I could see that the item QD0-1258226 x 1 is on back order.

We hope to receive new stocks for the item QD0-1258226 on 19/05/2020, so once the item is back in stock it will be delivered to you at the earliest.

Also, I would like to inform you that the due dates shown for any back-order items are not guaranteed and are liable to change dependent on suppliers.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with."

Needless to say, I cancelled.

I got my chair from them today 10 days after ordering. It did irk me that on Facebook the rep was giving the stock answer that they are experiencing a high volume of messages and a someone will respond while at the same time said items are listed as "in stock" and "next day delivery". Can someone not see the contradiction there and see how it's adding to the high volume. Smacks of "dont care, keep sellling, ignore the noise". I can't say I'd recommend this company to anyone in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Always thought Viking were trade only? or atlest they were a good few years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ELM327 wrote: »
    I ordered from Amazon in the end and got delivery day of April 9th (ie this day +1 next week) with prime for an office chair. I'll make do till then with my folding chair. I have a WFH setup usually but we never expected the two of us would have to work from home at the same time!
    Mine arrived this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

ELM327 wrote: »
    Mine arrived this morning

What one did you get? I want a good quality one with good support and I don't trust the reviews.

Advertisement