Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... what if we DID pay a road tax

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Concept is absurd and as another poster said if we did have to pay a road tax they would find another stick with which to beat us.

I do think there is a case for some kind of cycling test, also would support more Garda enforcement of bad behaviour by cyclists and helmet wearing being made compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

fat bloke wrote: »
    Young people for the most part. Young people that up until that point have been getting around by some means other than a car. Why the fcuk haven't they all been cycling?!?! They should, or the vast majority of them should, have accumulated ten+ years of cycling in traffic experience.

I'd say the current generation of new drivers have been ferried around in the back of SUVs to school, soccer practice etc. since they were born, so have no appreciation of non-vehicular traffic on the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

how many cars is that for?

Two 12 year old cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

hello and welcome to the cycling forum. might be worth checking out the charter, especially in relation to this not being a place for non-cyclists to have a pop at cyclists.

But in fairness, call a spade a spade.
    There's a lot of responsibile cyclists out there.
    But the loons cycling two a brest on a secondary road are causing a danger to themselves and others.

You'd hardly notice the cyclists who are safe and responsible because they probably drive themselves and know that there will be car's frequenting said road's. So they'll cycle in single file or line up when a car approaches from behind or from the front.

I was only joking about cyclists needing permits and shouldn't be on the roads, so I'll take that back and apologies for offending anyone.

The poster who said that there shouldn't be vehicles pumping out fumes around the Burren is living in Cuckoo land, more than likely from the green fraternity.

The eco system will just dilute the fumes through taking in CO2 during the day and releasing it as oxygen there after....

So I think you're cycling up the wrong road there, nice try though I can see what you mean.

As for The Unbelievable s comment, Fr Ted was filmed in the locality so I can my comment might be better coming from Fr Noel or someone else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nthclare wrote: »
    ...But the loons cycling two a brest on a secondary road are causing a danger to themselves and others....
    It's done for safety and is perfectly legal. Cycling single file only encourages motorists to squeeze past when there isn't enough room. (...and in single file they'll be twice as long).

You say you are held up regularly on Saturday mornings. Have you not learned from that and leave earlier.

How do you manage when you're confronted with congestion caused by motorists? Do you expect drivers to get out of your way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Yes I know there's no such thing.
    Yes I know cyclists are mostly also motorists and pay motor tax. I pay plenty of it myself, over 2 grand a year so I've as little interest as anyone else in paying out any more.
    Yes I know that cyclists who are not motorists also already pay for roads through general taxation.
    And yes I know collecting it and monitoring such a tax would be a complete ball-ache.

BUT

Given the current climate/atmosphere/mood, where the majority is "agin" us and it can be difficult to have a voice and we feel that there isn't an appropriate or proportionate spend on cycling etc etc etc.....- SHOULD we pay a "road" or call it what you like tax? - It could be as simple as a fiver onto the cost of every new bike sold, which would obviate any licencing or tax disc displaying. Or a fiver onto every Cycling Ireland Licence - I dunno how best to work it.
    - But could it be a once and for all cancelling out of the constant argument against the legitimacy of cycling and cyclists as a bona-fide group of road-users with the same rights of existence and access as any other group of road user. Instead of just giving the impotent finger to the ignorant driver, you/I/we could idignantly retort back with the "I pay my road tax" counter argument.

Would it be worth it?

Edit - GAH!!! Wrong place. Sorry mods.

Don't be giving them any ideas with that chat, you will have them taxing walking and the pony and trap next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The eco system will just dilute the fumes through taking in CO2 during the day and releasing it as oxygen there after....
    not sure if serious.
    what growing carbon sink are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You'd hardly notice the cyclists who are safe and responsible

I'd say you don't notice them at all. You can just barrel by those lads, in-lane, without scrubbing off any speed at all.

As a cyclist. I want you to notice me. I want you to see me, adjust your speed on approach, and overtake me safely. - Like you're forced to do with the lads 2-abreast. Or ANY other road user - pedestrian, horse, car, tractor, truck etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

But the loons cycling two a brest on a secondary road are causing a danger to themselves and others.

Are you really that silly or just here to cause trouble ?
    And do you frequent the farming forums to complain about the slow moving tractors that you can't pass either which are a lot more dangerous to everyone spreading sh!t all over the road at times ?
    Slow down a bit and overtake only when it's safe to do so.

mamax wrote: »
    Are you really that silly or just here to cause trouble ?
    And do you frequent the farming forums to complain about the slow moving tractors that you can't pass either which are a lot more dangerous to everyone spreading sh!t all over the road at times ?
    Slow down a bit and overtake only when it's safe to do so.

Deflecting the discussion onto tractors now are we.
    Tractors cannot split themselves into two halves and make the road wider.

Two cyclist's can easily transform into single file, and then revert back to cycling two abreast there after.

Why should a motorist drive behind two cyclist's along a narrow road for age's ?

All they have to do is pull in and I could drive around them.

Bringing the farming forum into this and complaining about **** on the roads is a bit infantile.

Why don't you bring up your dillema in the farming forum ?

Why can't two cyclist's abreast pull in and let a car pass because it'll be safe to do so ?

• Advertisement

I'd say you don't notice them at all. You can just barrel by those lads, in-lane, without scrubbing off any speed at all.

As a cyclist. I want you to notice me. I want you to see me, adjust your speed on approach, and overtake me safely. - Like you're forced to do with the lads 2-abreast. Or ANY other road user - pedestrian, horse, car, tractor, truck etc etc etc.

In layman's terms...

The cyclists who are in single file are noticeable, but they're not out in the middle of the road.

How can you over take two cyclist's abreast on the Tubber to Kinvara road and leave safe space between the driver and two cyclist's ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Two cyclist's can easily transform into single file, and then revert back to cycling two abreast there after.
    are you saying the lanes in north clare are wide enough to allow a cyclist in single file 1m of road, and allow a 1.5m gap between them and you for overtaking, and 2m for your car? that's a 4.5m lane.
    or else are you overtaking this single file cyclist by crossing the white line?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I did the sums on this years back but I didn't save them. Basically if cyclists were to pay motor tax on an apples-to-apples basis with cars, based on CO2 emissions, then it would be in the region of a few cents, maybe a euro per year. Which would cost a hundred times more to collect and enforce.

If the "cycling tax" was to be increased to something like €50/year, then the lowest motor tax band would have to be increased to around €500/year in order to keep it equitable.

So by all means if someone who pays €200 motor tax a year is happy to pay €1000 next year, then I'll happily pay my €50 cycling tax in return. Until then, they can bite me.

seamus wrote: »
    So by all means if someone who pays €200 motor tax a year is happy to pay €1000 next year, then I'll happily pay my €50 cycling tax in return.
    you're forgetting the crucial part of this - how would you display your tax and insurance disks?
    those dastardly fiends in government would probably mandate some horrifically ugly and unaerodynamic plastic holder to bolt to your handlbars. that's where the real battle lies.

are you saying the lanes in north clare are wide enough to allow a cyclist in single file 1m of road, and allow a 1.5m gap between them and you for overtaking, and 2m for your car? that's a 4.5m lane.
    or else are you overtaking this single file cyclist by crossing the white line?

Have you driven the new line road from Tubber to Kinvara ?

It's quite long and straight, and there's no white line's.

As I said not all cyclists will hold up traffic actually maybe ten percent act the ghoul on the road the rest usually pull in single file.

The Burren cycling club are really good and they are well coordinated, they're well used to these roads

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

you're forgetting the crucial part of this - how would you display your tax and insurance disks?
    those dastardly fiends in government would probably mandate some horrifically ugly and unaerodynamic plastic holder to bolt to your handlbars. that's where the real battle lies.
    If drivers agreed to allow an increase of motor tax by 500% I'd get my cycling tax disc tatooed on my forehead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Have you driven the new line road from Tubber to Kinvara ?

It's quite long and straight, and there's no white line's.

As I said not all cyclists will hold up traffic actually maybe ten percent act the ghoul on the road the rest usually pull in single file.

The Burren cycling club are really good and they are well coordinated, they're well used to these roads

MOD NOTE: Please acquaint yourself with the charter before posting again, posting negativity, two abreast giving out etc. is not allowed.
    Any further off topic posts and replies of this nature will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just Buy one of these!

(Its Hi-Viz too so no excuses for Motorists)

iPayRoadTaxJersey2018.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why can't two cyclist's abreast pull in and let a car pass because it'll be safe to do so ?

Long story short. If you cannot safely overtake two cyclists side by side then you cannot safely overtake them safely in single file in the same scenario but you'd be more tempted too. It's not ignorance or arrogance, it is a protective measure. If you feel this happens to you alot, leave earlier would solve alot of issues. Motorists who pay attention, rather than getting worked up, will realise that the delay on rural roads is actually quite minimal.

You think you can and I understand that but it is, in the majority of cases, simply untrue but you may not be able to see it from your perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Weepsie wrote: »
    I went into the back of Quasqai. It's driver had pulled in to make a call in a 24 hour bus lane that I've never ever seen a car in before other than the very occasional taxi. This is in 3-4 years of using that road. My brain kind of turned off when I saw it just ahead thinking it must be moving especially as there was a little layby just up the road and a free car park just to the right.
    A cyclist was killed in Cork after crashing into the back of a car parked in similar circumstances.

But in fairness, call a spade a spade.
    There's a lot of responsibile cyclists out there.
    Specifically, what danger arises?

D6dmLFtWsAA2kRo.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement