Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi a7 vs a6 autoboxes?

Options
  • 17-10-2019 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Guys quick question,i am looking to buy a audi a6 or a7,I was just wondering what the auto box is like on the a7 and is it reliable,Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Guys quick question,i am looking to buy a audi a6 or a7,I was just wondering what the auto box is like on the a7 and is it reliable,Thanks guys

What year are you looking at?
    There was likely both multitronic and s tronic options during it's life time assuming you are not talking about current models.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

mickdw wrote: »
    What year are you looking at?
    There was likely both multitronic and s tronic options during it's life time assuming you are not talking about current models.

Mate 2012 or 2013,never had a multitronic and s tronic b4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I’m looking at buying a 2012 A7 as well at the moment. Done a little research. It comes in Quattro and FWD. From what I can see both have a different gearbox. The reviews I’ve seen say Quattro is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If importing from uk, the price of vrt could go up very soon because of the new vrt rules being related to nox . Think there is another week or so before these changes come into effect ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I’m looking at buying a 2012 A7 as well at the moment. Done a little research. It comes in Quattro and FWD. From what I can see both have a different gearbox. The reviews I’ve seen say Quattro is better.

Seriously Fwd? You sure it’s not rear wheel ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Seriously Fwd? You sure it’s not rear wheel ?!

Has there ever been a RWD Audi? Apart from some R8s

Yes they are front drive or quattro.
    It has to be quattro really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Quattro has the S Tronic gear box whilst the FWD has the Multichronic, the Quattro are scarce enough unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Water2626262

seamus1980 wrote: »

The A6 ultras (2014 up) have the DSG S tronic. Pretty sure all 2.0 tdis before that are multitronic. S tronic has 7 gears while multitronic has 8. Not sure how reliable S tronic is but seems to be plenty of talk online about avoiding the multitronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I thought the newer Multitronics were grand (apart from not being DSG like)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If importing from uk, the price of vrt could go up very soon because of the new vrt rules being related to nox . Think there is another week or so before these changes come into effect ...

New year it's comes into effect. If brexit is passed in Westminster on Saturday then we'll be liable for VAT after the end of the month.

For normal everyday driving, would you really notice much of a difference between these gearboxes?
    People that say avoid the multitronic, is that due to performance only or are they known to be troublesome?
    I’m talking about the older models, 2011-14.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Drive a S-tronic and your will know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I have a 142 A6 quattro with the STronic gearbox.
    Its now got 203,000 kms on it.
    The gearbox is perfect on it in any mode I choose ie Comfort,Eco or Sport.
    6speed when choosing manual mode ,altough the electronics dont let you do anything stupid like revving the bejayus out if it, or 7 speed Auto.
    I have only caught it out once or twice in traffic where I was coming to a stop and the then tapped the acc pedal right at the moment when the box was choosing a gear.
    BTW
    ....and I do stand to be corrected on this but the A6 and A7 are the same engine,boxes etc just on a different platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wife has an A7 with an 8 speed box. The turbo lag is horrific and it takes an age to kick down and get up to speed.
    Another bug bear of mine is that the park button is right where the bit of your hand would rest on the gear selector. Go to push into reverse and you inevitably push park....Every fcuking time!!
    For such a "premium" marque I can't believe the amount of little problems this car has.

Anything else to look out for when buying an A7 from this era? Any known issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

If its got air suspension make sure it can be raised or lowered.
    Any issues with the suspension is a very expensive issue.
    To see if it happens hit the 'Car' button on the console beside the shifter.
    Top left hand corner of the screen should say 'Raise'.

If nothing happens walk away.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wife has an A7 with an 8 speed box. The turbo lag is horrific and it takes an age to kick down and get up to speed.
    Another bug bear of mine is that the park button is right where the bit of your hand would rest on the gear selector. Go to push into reverse and you inevitably push park....Every fcuking time!!
    For such a "premium" marque I can't believe the amount of little problems this car has.
    What version is it?
    Is it one of the ultra models?

What version is it?
    Is it one of the ultra models?

No it's a regular 3 litre Quattro. Android auto works when it feels like it. Radio is a pain because it won't stay on the list when it's on a station. You keep having to press list to get the station names back again.
    The turbo lag is the worst though...See a gap and floor it and nothing happens and then whoosh and it's off. I've had to pull back in a couple of times because it took so long to kick down.
    I hate the car to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

No it's a regular 3 litre Quattro. Android auto works when it feels like it. Radio is a pain because it won't stay on the list when it's on a station. You keep having to press list to get the station names back again.
    The turbo lag is the worst though...See a gap and floor it and nothing happens and then whoosh and it's off. I've had to pull back in a couple of times because it took so long to kick down.
    I hate the car to be honest.
    Is it the current A7 ?
    I’ve seen reviews that mentioned that issue with the gearbox. Also afflicts the current A6 too apparently.

• Advertisement

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Is it the current A7 ?
    I’ve seen reviews that mentioned that issue with the gearbox. Also afflicts the current A6 too apparently.

Yes it's a 191 current model.

Yes it's a 191 current model.

Jesus that is terribly disappointing for such an expensive car.

Jesus that is terribly disappointing for such an expensive car.

She had an A6 automatic before that and it was a belter of a car. Used to drop shifts almost instantly with little to no lag. Never had any fear making an overtaking manoeuvre with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Seems like a crazy situation to allow such unpredictable performance. Could it be to do with newer emissions regulations that they've been forced to set the car to hold the higher gear for as much time as possible?

Advertisement