Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to encourage a barn owl to live in old shed

Options
  • 07-10-2019 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering if I could do anything on my farm to encourage a barn owl couple to stay in an old cubicle shed on my farm. I'm currently in organic conversion so bait boxes with poison are not allowed on the farm.

Is there a type of nesting box to hopefully encourage them? I think it would be great to have a natural way of controlling pests and would also be great to help a declining species in Ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC, they don't use 'nest boxes' in the way people might think - usually just level platforms in out of the way places up high in barns and sheds.
    you have barn owls in the vicinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭endainoz

IIRC, they don't use 'nest boxes' in the way people might think - usually just level platforms in out of the way places up high in barns and sheds.
    you have barn owls in the vicinity?

From what I know of, the nearest would be about 30+ miles away. I was just wondering if there was anything in particular that I could do to encourage them, or other wildlife for that matter. There is a wooded area that I plan to plant many more trees in the future and to possibly have a hedgerow to go with that. Id love to have a barn owl though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Some good advice here.

https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/barn-owl-nestbox/barn-owl-nestboxes/

And.

Manage your land for barn owls :
    Provide areas of grassland that are not cut or grazed as this is the ideal habitat for foraging barn owls e.g. a fenced-off strip alongside field boundary.
    Hammer posts into the middle of suitable habitat to allow barn owls to perch and conserve energy while hunting.
    Scatter grain near field boundaries to encourage rodents out of the hedgerows and into fields where barn owls can hunt.
    Place log piles in old disused parts of your land to encourage mice out of hedgerows where barn owls can hunt.
    Plant up disused areas of your land with trees and maintain thick, healthy hedgerows to contribute to the survival of the barn owl.
    Before starting any building work or tree maintenance on your land, make sure you look out for any signs of barn owl activity to minimise disturbance.

Some good advice here.

https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/barn-owl-nestbox/barn-owl-nestboxes/

And.

Manage your land for barn owls :
    Provide areas of grassland that are not cut or grazed as this is the ideal habitat for foraging barn owls e.g. a fenced-off strip alongside field boundary.
    Hammer posts into the middle of suitable habitat to allow barn owls to perch and conserve energy while hunting.
    Scatter grain near field boundaries to encourage rodents out of the hedgerows and into fields where barn owls can hunt.
    Place log piles in old disused parts of your land to encourage mice out of hedgerows where barn owls can hunt.
    Plant up disused areas of your land with trees and maintain thick, healthy hedgerows to contribute to the survival of the barn owl.
    Before starting any building work or tree maintenance on your land, make sure you look out for any signs of barn owl activity to minimise disturbance.

Excellent advice thank you so much! All those things are quite practical and easy to do, does anybody have any experience having them in their area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There are many schemes available to farmers for environmental initiatives and advice is readily given.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/contact/

• Advertisement

There are many schemes available to farmers for environmental initiatives and advice is readily given.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/contact/

Thanks, but I'm fairly well aware of the GLAS schemes etc, and I will hopefully get into contact with a wildlife ranger I know through a friend in the area. Thanks again for your great advice all the same!

Advertisement