Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor - proof of NCB

Options
  • 04-10-2019 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

We're changing insurers for my wife's motor policy due to price difference/competition, having been with Aviva for a few years.

Her current/renewal NCB cert from Aviva is 5+ years, as per their scale. Then she also has an Allianz cert from 2016 that shows 5 years NCB - which would take it back to 2011... so 8 years NCB provable by these certs.

I assume that's the way the new insurer will see it, so she's OK to get quotes saying 8 years NCB?

Thanks for input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

She cant have two active ncbs. The one from her current insurer is the only one she can use. So if I understand correctly it's a 5+ year NCB. That's what she should get quotes on.

On a different point. A 2016 NCB would have expired at this stage anyway. 2 years is the time they stay alive for if not used.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Thanks for the reply, but how would that be fair on consumers when different insurers use different scales?
    Aviva go to 5+ as the top of their scale, no matter how many years NCB you prove to them when taking a policy. AIG's scale seems to go to 10 years.
    She has proveable 8 years NCB.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

She cant have two active ncbs. The one from her current insurer is the only one she can use. So if I understand correctly it's a 5+ year NCB. That's what she should get quotes on.

On a different point. A 2016 NCB would have expired at this stage anyway. 2 years is the time they stay alive for if not used.

Whooooooooooooooooooosh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Yep OP, that's how I worked it out with insurers in the past.

tobdom wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, but how would that be fair on consumers when different insurers use different scales?
    Aviva go to 5+ as the top of their scale, no matter how many years NCB you prove to them when taking a policy. AIG's scale seems to go to 10 years.
    She has proveable 8 years NCB.....

Yeh I know it's a pita. When I moved to UK where they have accept 8/9 years as a matter of course, my "5 year" NCB was a pain, as in reality i had 10 years. But that's the way it was looked at. Would have saved me another few hundred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

tobdom wrote: »
    We're changing insurers for my wife's motor policy due to price difference/competition, having been with Aviva for a few years.

Her current/renewal NCB cert from Aviva is 5+ years, as per their scale. Then she also has an Allianz cert from 2016 that shows 5 years NCB - which would take it back to 2011... so 8 years NCB provable by these certs.

I assume that's the way the new insurer will see it, so she's OK to get quotes saying 8 years NCB?

Thanks for input!

Basically yes. Once you can proof the history, you can build it up the years...

grogi wrote: »
    Basically yes. Once you can proof the history, you can build it up the years...

But what would be the benefit if Irish insurance companies only discount to 5+ years? Wouldn't matter if you had 20 years NCB. Same discount either way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

But what would be the benefit if Irish insurance companies only discount to 5+ years? Wouldn't matter if you had 20 years NCB. Same discount either way

I got further discount for the 6th year... No rule there...

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Some use scale that goes only to "5+" (like Aviva), others like AIG use a scale that goes further (looks like 10 could be the max).

For example, I was initially getting quotes (for wife) based on 7 years NCB as I thought that's what we could prove with previous NCB certs, even though the Aviva cert only showed 5+ years. Then I found out we could prove 8 years with the addition of an Allianz cert (from 2016, showing 5 years).

The difference in quote with AIG using 7 years NCB vs 8 years was about €60.

Wow.. AIG goes up to 10 years... When I left Ireland 3 years ago no one was offering more than 5/6.

Good to know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Most Insurers only offer a NCB discount scale that reflects 5 years. However, if you provide proof beyond that, it becomes an underwriting factor which puts you in to a preferential category. Provide as much consecutive NCB as you can

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement