Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic car: unexpected benefit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You must not have driven a Renault auto recently so.
    By the time it changes gear, you'd have gotten out and walked there

I think it's a mistake to use a Renault as any kind of an example for auto excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Padre_Pio wrote:
    I think it's a mistake to use a Renault as any kind of an example for auto excellence.

Haha agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When I had an automatic I found the single greatest benefit in terms of actual driving was just how quick you could negotiate roundabouts, the advantage being no gear changing "slack" to take up as one slowed approaching, dropped a gear and then accelerated and changed up again. With the auto you are always in the right gear and the revs are high enough to pull/push you (depending on drivetrain) smoothly round. Its hard to explain any better than that. However the worst thing (old school 4 speed) was that sometimes the box got "stuck" in say 4th when third was needed when going along a very gradual incline. It needed a quick prod on the accelerator to prompt the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

From the modern cars I have driven in the past 18months or so the best auto boxes are in the Merc/BMWs. The auto can change quicker and more efficently than any human can.

On the step automatics entering a roundabout for instance may not even require the driver to brake as the car deaccerates the car changes down and "engine brakes" the car and it does so in millseconds.

I have also driven the VW DSG and its also good but not as good as the Merc/BMW. I also have had a auto 3008 Peugeot and the box was ****e slow to change and not that refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Hate automatics, always did. The odd time I drive one I'm always glad to go back to the manual box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭pah

is250 auto here, lovely smooth auto box. Paddle shift gear change in sport mode took some getting used to as it allows you to select maximum gear but it is fun to drive.

By all accounts the manual box on this model is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Been driving auto's for over a decade now and could not drive a manual at this stage :p Plus I have been in the VAG camp for most of that time so decent auto's were fairly readily available.

I do agree that the lag can be annoying when trying to overtake rapidly or pull away from a busy roundabout/junction. It can be mitigated by putting it into Sport first, but you have to remember to do that!

Main advantages are slow/stop-start traffic and urban driving in general, the ease and speed of moving off from lights, navigating roundabouts, and (with cruise control) very easy motorway trips.

A good auto does need a decent box and engine mated to it though, but if you have that it's far superior for 99% of driving needs IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

One of the main benefits of an auto box is being able to eat a 99 cone in one hand without trying desperately to avoid dumbass pededstrians, other cars in the forecourt while trying to steer and change gears in a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    and (with cruise control) very easy motorway trips.
    Manual cars have cruise control too :)

Manual cars have cruise control too :)

Which has to be restarted after every touch of the clutch

• Advertisement

Which has to be restarted after every touch of the clutch
    Which I imagine is a safety feature. you wouldn't be doing much clutching on most motorway trips unless you're in traffic, when you wouldn't be using cruise control anyway.

I drive Maynooth to Tullamore at the weekends and 95% of that is on cruise control, with the usual exceptions of the toll and the slip road I take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The biggest benefit of an auto is eating a 99 during the summer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

What was the hangup about avoiding autos in Ireland and Europe generally? Seemed to be all sorts of macho notions about them in the past.

I know they're a lot less inefficient these days and hybrids in particular render that argument completely redundant, but it always seemed to me that there was some nonsense 70s bravado notions about automatics in Europe in general.

Which I imagine is a safety feature. you wouldn't be doing much clutching on most motorway trips unless you're in traffic, when you wouldn't be using cruise control anyway.

I drive Maynooth to Tullamore at the weekends and 95% of that is on cruise control, with the usual exceptions of the toll and the slip road I take.

The safety feature is on the brake.
    If I am at 100-1320kmh and have to slow down (say a toll) I can just reengage the cruise at 30 kmh and the auto takes over.

Wife's manual I have to get up to 6th gear before doing so.

Cruise in manual is not as effective as the auto

The safety feature is on the brake.
    If I am at 100-1320kmh and have to slow down (say a toll) I can just reengage the cruise at 30 kmh and the auto takes over.

Wife's manual I have to get up to 6th gear before doing so.

Cruise in manual is not as effective as the auto
    Probably on the clutch for a manual as well to stop you blowing it up trying to change gear with cruise control on.

Never said it wasn't as effective, was just pointing out that it's not just auto's that have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

NotToScale wrote: »
    What was the hangup about avoiding autos in Ireland and Europe generally? Seemed to be all sorts of macho notions about them in the past.

I know they're a lot less inefficient these days and hybrids in particular render that argument completely redundant, but it always seemed to me that there was some nonsense 70s bravado notions about automatics in Europe in general.

Automatics used to be slow, thirsty, heavy and expensive, and for people who couldn't drive properly. Attitudes take a long time to change. Just like how some people still think Italian cars rust, or diesels are clean...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

Have my first auto car and drive a manual for work. The constant use of both makes it easy to sit in either and go but a nod time I catch my hand heading to the gearstick in the auto. It's a 2012 and smooth. When overtakking it can take a second to change up after changing down but I think this is to do with how hard I am pushing the throttle. Cruise control and auto make like so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

We got an auto last year and wouldn't go back. I get what people are saying about manual being more responsive "real" driving, but frankly I'm dropping the kids to school in a Citroën, not switchbacking over the Alps in an E-type. For 90% of the driving the average joe does on a day to day basis, auto is is the better option. eCars and hybrids are going to make manual transmission a niche interest within the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I am looking at getting an auto but there are very little choice if you aren't looking for a auto-diesel or a tiny 1litre city car.

should be no shortage of mid-size petrol VAG cars I'd have thought ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I am looking at getting an auto but there are very little choice if you aren't looking for a auto-diesel or a tiny 1litre city car.
    My Honda Jazz auto is a 1.5 and very nippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm on my 7th car since I started driving in 2003. They have all been manual and petrol until my current one which is auto and diesel.

The reason I disliked diesels was because I learned to drive in a 1.6 diesel Peugeot 106 which was absolutely lethargic and so lacking in power it wouldn't pull the tits off a leper.

I never liked autos because any I had driven had been so slow to change gear it was unreal. It was mainly a Merc E Class.

I can honestly say that I may never buy a manual again as long as the autobox in future cars are as good as if not better than the ZF8. Next car will be petrol though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Automatics were viewed as less suitable for narrow small roads and straight highways are a relatively new addition here

Having said that, we do still have a remarkable cultural aversion to automatic cars in this country, the percentage is still tiny relative to most countries, I hate manual myself

galwaytt wrote: »
    should be no shortage of mid-size petrol VAG cars I'd have thought ?

Vast majority of VAG cars are diesel

Ford focus petrol automatic a better bet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Vast majority of VAG cars are diesel

Ford focus petrol automatic a better bet

The Focus wasn't available in auto petrol until this year, there's currently 7 autos on the road and 1,1467 manuals.

With the Golf there's 311 auto Vs 1,211 manual, similar numbers in previous year to date. 241 of them are standard Golfs, 70 are GTI/R.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭creedp

I'm getting worried now .. maybe I should change my preference to an automatic as wouldn't want to be described as suffering from that horrible condition referred to above!

I know its all about conformity these days but seriously some people actually like driving a manual. No doubt an automatic is easier to drive but some people doesn't always opt for the easier option ... should we all prefer instant coffee to home ground coffee beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

creedp wrote: »
    should we all prefer instant coffee to home ground coffee beans?

Must be quite tiring to hand grind the beans. Never tried it myself, but they look like pretty hard little buggers to grind down to a substance you could make a nice cup of coffee with.

But, if you had some sort of machine to do the grinding for you...

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The Focus wasn't available in auto petrol until this year, there's currently 7 autos on the road and 1,1467 manuals.

With the Golf there's 311 auto Vs 1,211 manual, similar numbers in previous year to date. 241 of them are standard Golfs, 70 are GTI/R.

The focus petrol has been available in automatic since the very start

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The focus petrol has been available in automatic since the very start

And the old 4 speed auto box mated to the 1.6i was a fine example of why Auto's weren't very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I detailed a 2012 Focus 2.0 diesel auto recently. It was a UK import but God it wasn't nice to drive. Whether you had it in normal or sport mode the gear change was terrible!

One of the best (if not the best) combination on the market today is the BMW N57 engine and the ZF8 gearbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭creedp

R.O.R wrote: »
    Must be quite tiring to hand grind the beans. Never tried it myself, but they look like pretty hard little buggers to grind down to a substance you could make a nice cup of coffee with.

But, if you had some sort of machine to do the grinding for you...

Sorry my analogy could be better but my argument that not everyone chooses the easier option still stands.

I have both an auto and manual car and have no problem agreeing that an auto is easier / more relaxing to drive especially in urban traffic bit I still prefer a manual gearbox.

Advertisement