Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IMRA Season 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Peterx wrote: »
    The Parkrun comparison comes up a lot. 2 very good volunteer led organisations, both with sexy and functional websites. Parkrun is "better" in that it usually has a core team of volunteers visiting the same place every weekend with experience.

By it's nature IMRA struggles with volunteers, they are often willing but inexperienced and they are sometimes just not there.
    Every single week with IMRA you could have an entirely different set of volunteers in place - typically a different place, there is no chance of continuity unless the poor unfortunate committee take it upon themselves to personally visit every race, and that leads to burnout.

That's just the nature of the beast and it's difficult to see that unless you volunteer.

So it is a weakness and yes the results are sometimes frustratingly slow but the pluses are many and hopefully see ye at Trooperstown for a big plus, a race in the hills for a fiver :)

So complaining about the tardy results is valid but having to listen to loads of people react about it (and your volunteering record) is the price

I'd agree with all that 👍
    Being frustrated at slow results does not equate to rubbishing the entire organisation. For the most part imra is a great organisation and i know that some people put a huge amount of work into it.
    In my line of work I unfortunately get to disappoint people on an almost daily basis, but I find that good communication tends to lessen frustrations.
    If there are genuine delays then I'm sure people would understand if told. But say in the case of the recent race, it has been 3 days, no results and there has been no indication that there have been complications, etc.
    Expectation management.

A solution might be to do what some other organisations do. Get a rough set of results, just times and numbers or whatever, mark them as provisional and stick them up on facebook as a pdf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If there are genuine delays then I'm sure people would understand if told. But say in the case of the recent race, it has been 3 days, no results and there has been no indication that there have been complications, etc.
    Expectation management.

Again on the presumption that it's Mullaghmeen one of the last posts on that race was to say that they're working on the results so bear with them. It also says that they're aiming to have them up within a week. The results and records secretary has also changed so the hand over process is probably still ongoing, in combination with the fact a new results system is being trialled.

There was little phrase when the results for Hellfire a few weeks ago were up and published during the prize giving immediately after the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For Mullaghmeen, the course marking was sabotaged before the race meaning chaos for runners trying to follow the markings. People have been working hard in the background all week trying to work out the results in a way that maximizes fairness to everyone.

More often that not the results are up when people have just gotten back the pub.

In terms of "ganging up and attacking", I'd prefer it was some anonymous keyboard warrior getting it in the ear than the volunteers giving up their time to make sure the races go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Stark wrote: »
    More often that not the results are up when people have just gotten back the pub.

No wonder the results get so confusing. Might be an idea to work on them before going to the pub :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

There's a lot of simple-minded asumptions being made here. Some people need to see that there is a bigger picture.

No IMRA race results stand in glorious isolation. Go on to the website. Find some race results. Start following links. An individual's result will link to their profile, showing all their race results. A race can be (and usually is) part of at least one, if not more leagues/championships. The results from a single race update the championship tables. There are seperate tables of results for each category, of which there are many, in both individual races and leagues/championships.

The IMRA website allows you to move around all these links easily because enough care and attention is taken to get each individual result correct. There is a lot more to it than a single isolated race, or to straightforward format such as parkrun. Does anyone know of any other Irish site which updates and calculates such a broad range of data for a single race, whilst keeping the system simple enough to be used by non-technical unpaid volunteers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Enduro wrote: »
    ... assumptions .....The IMRA website allows you to move around all these links easily because enough care and attention is taken to get each individual result correct..... whilst keeping the system simple enough to be used by non-technical unpaid volunteers?

Just on this final point and speaking as a very simple non-technical volunteer - if the system could be made one level simpler (or more trusting) more people could have the ability to upload results to the website.

Reading Slogger's points earlier it seems there is a pinch point at upload stage - in that very few people can upload results?

I appreciate this is partially because of all the interlinked linky goodness but it can lead to delays when results are ready to go and the very few upload volunteers are busy elsewhere. Could more people be enabled to upload?

The core point is correct, if usually worded in a way guaranteed to rile.
    Speedy results are good for buzz and post race analysis.

Isn't the delay in uploading the results more so that they have to be verified/signed off by the results secretary first?

If they're at a race they're put up pretty much immediately where there's an available internet or data connection and no major issues or queries with them. Otherwise they get sent the results and then they upload them. As I said earlier though, there is ongoing work around the results process to simplify it so it may be work in progress.

Just on this final point and speaking as a very simple non-technical volunteer - if the system could be made one level simpler (or more trusting) more people could have the ability to upload results to the website.

Reading Slogger's points earlier it seems there is a pinch point at upload stage - in that very few people can upload results?

I appreciate this is partially because of all the interlinked linky goodness but it can lead to delays when results are ready to go and the very few upload volunteers are busy elsewhere. Could more people be enabled to upload?

That's a good idea in theory. Until relatively recently it took a big effort to wrangle the results into a state usable by the website. However now that there are no longer on-the-day registrations this is much less of a problem. What I'm not sure of is how much manual effort is currently required (in general) to correct uploaded results before they are committed and published. So it might be worth looking into the feasability of this. I'll volunteer my time to implement it if it is worth doing (and presuming that the committee agree that it would be a good idea).
    The core point is correct, if usually worded in a way guaranteed to rile.
    Speedy results are good for buzz and post race analysis.

Riling goes two ways. I'm totally in agreement with Stark on this. It doesn't bother me if an anymous keyboard warrior gets riled when their total lack of knowledge is pointed out. Tough! People who who volunteer their time to make things work (such as yourself!!) get my full respect though... Ignorant riling of volunteers is another kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ofthelord

Hoping to get along to Trooperstown this Sunday to run my first IMRA event since Scalp in 2014. I'm sure it'll be tough, but looking forward to it. I always enjoyed the IMRA events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Re: the results. From my experience it used to be the case that the physical laptop almost needed to get into the hands of the person responsible for upload.
    Emailing the database/results file gets around that but it might be better again if there was a dropbox or google-drive to put the results file into so it could get picked up by a results uploader. If a few people were trained in what needs to be done it would lessen the load on individuals. I'd be happy to help if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Lovely run at Trooperstown yesterday. The heavy mist added a lot of character to the race. Kept wondering if I was on the right track in stages despite being on a route I know well. You know it’s a ridiculous winning time by Killian Mooney when he had a three minute gap on a great field!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just want to ask was reading up on the Morris Mullins Ultra rules and regs...
    In particular the early start....Its my first time doing the event/distance and my training hasn't gone as planned...
    I dont want to get bogged down in time but given I dont know what time I will finish in or hit the cut off points etc I was going to air on the side of caution and take the early start...seems a tad harsh to be given 6 hours even if you do better?
    I havent even looked at the weather but after running in it on course last Saturday morning the wind cost me an extra 40 minutes on the return alone...
    What to do...??
    Will there be water on the course?? for hydration :)

Morris Mullins Ultra rules and regs...
    In particular the early start....I dont want to get bogged down in time but given I dont know what time I will finish in or hit the cut off points etc I was going to air on the side of caution and take the early start...seems a tad harsh to be given 6 hours even if you do better?

Just on this, if you feel you can do better don't take the early start. That's how it's designed.

The 6 hour minimum time for the early starters is indeed harsh but it is designed that way to discourage people from taking the early start who don't really need the early start.

As for the water stations, best to not depend on them.

And Maulin was super. Really good course, Steep initial climb. Very steep.

Unlike Annagh Hill you can't see it coming either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

6 hours would have you in top half of the field. 70th out of 174 starters.

That’s fairly competitive.

• Advertisement

Just on this, if you feel you can do better don't take the early start. That's how it's designed.

The 6 hour minimum time for the early starters is indeed harsh but it is designed that way to discourage people from taking the early start who don't really need the early start.

As for the water stations, best to not depend on them.

Early starts for most races are very much the exception and that's how it should be.
    The MM race is unusual in that a sizeable bunch take the early start.
    Its a difficult rule to administer as many MM runners are irregular runners so you can't judge their history.
    Taking the early start in the MM runners get quite the advantage in having the boardwalk from Djouce to themselves, particularly if they are borderline steady runners. The same runner who takes the main start has most congestion on the boardwalk given the MMH race starts at 12 noon heading the opposite way.
    The thing is though, if you take the early start, you might as well be in another race, so which race do you want to be in?

And Maulin was super. Really good course, Steep initial climb. Very steep.

Unlike Annagh Hill you can't see it coming either :)

Annagh this year will have an extra twist of a new found trail at the end... so a tad longer but less fireroad and all the nicer for it. Shall endeavour to get route onto strava beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Not too much of a regular trail runner lately with first baby last year but MM this weekend is my first Ultra. done the half last year, weather was not great but overall enjoyed it. Weather looks to be better this year.

My biggest concern is what to carry with me as this is a new distance for me. I am carrying two 500ml bottles on front with the option for a bladder in the pack for a further 1L but this makes the pack rub a bit the wrong way. So will probably ditch the bladder and carry an extra 500ml soft flask full in my pack so total 1.5L with me to get to halfway. Then the usual fuel, jacket, some spare socks perhaps and some other bits.

For the halfway point bringing water to fill up bottles and some food to fuel back up. Also some spare trail shoes just in case, spare socks, and change in running gear if really needed.

Hopefully this should have me covered. Also anyone driving from Dublin 15 area would love a lift? (means I can leave the car at home for wife/baby to come out and meet me)

Djoucer wrote: »

The top half of last years competitors and they are my buddys words...Ignorance is bliss :eek: (first time to do the distance but not run a tough event)
    I just want to complete it without the brain damage of times etc..tis the reason I trail run...
    Whether or not hes talking through his back end we will see on Saturday afternoon :D

chris85 wrote: »
    Not too much of a regular trail runner lately with first baby last year but MM this weekend is my first Ultra. done the half last year, weather was not great but overall enjoyed it. Weather looks to be better this year.

My biggest concern is what to carry with me as this is a new distance for me. I am carrying two 500ml bottles on front with the option for a bladder in the pack for a further 1L but this makes the pack rub a bit the wrong way. So will probably ditch the bladder and carry an extra 500ml soft flask full in my pack so total 1.5L with me to get to halfway. Then the usual fuel, jacket, some spare socks perhaps and some other bits.

For the halfway point bringing water to fill up bottles and some food to fuel back up. Also some spare trail shoes just in case, spare socks, and change in running gear if really needed.

Hopefully this should have me covered. Also anyone driving from Dublin 15 area would love a lift? (means I can leave the car at home for wife/baby to come out and meet me)

Hmm. if you are leaving runners in your drop bag how will you get them back? I could be wrong, but for me, the drop bag is for stuff you'll use on the return journey - not something that you can leave and collect again later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Also some spare trail shoes just in case, spare socks, and change in running gear if really needed.

Seems like overkill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Each to their own and all that but 1.5L of water for 25k on a mild day is loads and will be a pain to carry, especially if you suffer from chafing like you mention.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Seems like overkill?

Yup perhaps you are right. First ultra so all Abit unknown for me. Originally had thought of just thought to being pack with 1L water, rain jacket, maybe a baselayer in case get cold, some food and a few first aid basics. And just have water and some fuel at half way point which should be ok.

Mild day on the mountains so shouldn't need too much to carry. Jacket as a layer will cover most requirements.

Will be all good on the day.

grahamor wrote: »
    Each to their own and all that but 1.5L of water for 25k on a mild day is loads and will be a pain to carry, especially if you suffer from chafing like you mention.

Don't really suffer from chafing. Just with the bladder I seem to so will not be carrying that.

The ultra is 50km.

There’s usually enough water points so that you don’t have to carry that much. You should have enough water till turnaround.

Refill there and then there’s water at Crone and again just before last climb.

Try not to spend too long at turnaround. There’s isn’t much there anyway and there’s a long slog back out. Once you hit the boardwalk again you’ve broken the back of the race.

Looks like a great day for running/hiking...
    Cold at the start...

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-2964693/Ireland/Leinster/County%20Wicklow/Djouce%20Mountain

Best of luck to everyone safe round...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Great weather for it today, very enjoyable race... And for the first time in 4 yrs I started. . and finished a race.

Great event thanks to everyone who volunteered and to the organisers who all give up their free time to make the event the one it was.
    Well done to all runners who took part too good spirits along the route.
    Serious winning times!!

Anyone know where the person taking photos/video on Maurice Mullins might have them posted?
    If hes looking excuse my description...Tall lad, dread locks, tattoos, piercings and a trail running head I recognise but dont know his name?
    (could be any of a thousand people I've just described)...

Djoucer wrote: »

Both of us well under 6 hours Djoucer.. :cool:

• Advertisement

How did your race go Chris85?

Anyone know where the person taking photos/video on Maurice Mullins might have them posted?
    If hes looking excuse my description...Tall lad, dread locks, tattoos, piercings and a trail running head I recognise but dont know his name?

They're posted the IMRA facebook page, as well as his own that fletch mentions below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

https://www.facebook.com/pg/mudsweatandrunners/posts/
    https://www.facebook.com/JuJusTrailRunning/

I know who you’re talking about. He posted them on IMRA unofficial Facebook page.

Great races at weekend. Weather was fantastic and the trails were fast. Ridiculous winning times in both races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Annagh Hill happened yesterday, I don't think too many from these parts took part but no doubt you'll enjoy reading the reports... several of them here from the guy who came 2nd, the guy who came 3rd, the guy expected to win it but missed a turn, and from our very own Slogger Jogger. In the end the race was won by the hill running legend that is Robbie Bryson, M50 but still the best ascender around. It was a fantastic day with lots of twists and turns, lots of drama, lots of smiling faces, and lots of cheering spectators old and young. Best race down here yet, and well done to all who raced it!

I'm happy to show people my local hill even though I don't hillrace any more, but there is a similar purity and completeness and kinship to be found in the hills and the sea both; each wash you of the ravages of time and place you firmly in the exact moment of what you are doing, the next stroke, the next footfall. Next stop is the PeterX Laoistravaganza Glenbarrow race!

How did your race go Chris85?

went well and happy enough with finish time of 6.5 hours. Haven't done really any hill or trail running in previous year so I felt good throughout but legs just really weren't conditioned for it so found parts tough to get legs moving. But first ultra done and actually felt fairly decent throughout.

Wednesday night Leinster League is Back, Baby!

A new route on Bray Head, sunny sunshine, YUMMY.

Last weekend the Irish Champs kicked off with Slieve Donard absolutely ripping the legs out of me, still have the DOMS today. It's a great race though. Well worth the trip North if you get the chance next year. Nice town, grass parking, grass finish, ice cream shops, a beach and a seriously tough race with the quirky "beat your age to the top" race within a race - the one that can leave your legs in a jellylike state 2km before the finish.

Wednesday night Leinster League is Back, Baby!

A new route on Bray Head, sunny sunshine, YUMMY.

Last weekend the Irish Champs kicked off with Slieve Donard absolutely ripping the legs out of me, still have the DOMS today. It's a great race though. Well worth the trip North if you get the chance next year. Nice town, grass parking, grass finish, ice cream shops, a beach and a seriously tough race with the quirky "beat your age to the top" race within a race - the one that can leave your legs in a jellylike state 2km before the finish.

Looking forward to tonight’s race. The new route is great, means no contra flow of runners along the route. The climb of over 100m between 2k and 3k is a kick in the stones for sure and when you reach the cross, take a sec to look down and see the finish on the beach.

Looking forward to tonight’s race..... take a sec to look down and see the finish on the beach.

The first time I will be looking at the finish is when I hit the beach:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

My favourite event of the year is on Saturday. The Wicklow Way Relay.
    My team, Glendalough AC, will be looking to improve on last year's seventh spot.
    On the glory leg this year myself, leg 8.

Anyone else round these parts in? Any inside info on the competition?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

The first time I will be looking at the finish is when I hit the beach:p
    Yes, it’s probably best not to look into the distance whilst running across jagged rocks on Bray head ;)

Great fun race on Bray head last night. Massive turn-out. The trail out around the cliff gives a chance to get the legs moving, even if it was a bit fast for most of us :rolleyes: Always nice to see new trails. Enjoyed it a lot.

Didn't see Sean H after the sprinted off into the distance at the start. I'd assumed he won. Fair play to Luke Mc on his first hill race win. Do we know how the race at the front went, when did Luke reel Sean in?

Couldn’t believe the pace SH set off. Was nuts. We all looked and each other and joked about who was going to chase down. Only one volunteered and he was reeled in before the turn for climb.

Great course, had bits to suit/challenge everyone except perhaps for the climbing purists.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Ran my first IMRA event at Mushera-Boggeraghs on Wednesday.

I thoroughly enjoyed the run and found it less daunting than what I was expecting. The boggy bits made running a little difficult but I managed to run most of the course. I slipped twice on the decent towards the finish and was lucky not to get injured. Lesson learned... get proper fell/trail running shoes!

I guess I have been bitten by the trail running bug as I am already planning to include another event in my road running schedule :)

Good luck to all the Wicklow way Solos tonight..and tomorrow..

http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowwayrace19/

• Advertisement

Top of first climb and Shane Lynch, Gavin Byrne and Robbie Britton are tracking together out front. It's going to be some race this year. Should see the record go.

And indeed the record did go. Some run by Robbie Britton.

Just looking at tonights Djouce run is it easy navigated? (having never done it before seems to be a lot of photo prompts on the IMRA site)
    Im guessing follow the person in front will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

You'll be fine.

Follow the yellow tape. There will be volunteer marshals at the main junctions as well.

There'll be over 150 people there tonight, so unofficially, yeah, follow the crowd. However, officially, don't assume the person in front of you knows where they are going and do look out for the tape.

Things to look out for at this race are to allow enough time to get from the car park to the start line, it's a 1km walk. And also, this run is one of the steeper ones. It's a bit of a slog to the top of the hill. Also don't forget a running / lightweight waterproof jacket.

Give it a go, you'll be fine and enjoy it. Welcome to IMRA!

The Ayling Abyss my league debut...Something else!! really enjoyed it..(if thats possible)

• Advertisement
Advertisement