Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT fail on a rear axle alignment Nissan Note

• 09-10-2019 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice on this if you can!

My Nissan Note 2008 got a fail major for the rear axle alignment at -22Kn/m.

It says it should be in the range of -18 to +18.

I brought it to the mechanic and he said since it is a fixed axle there isn't much he can do on it as it is a front wheel drive but he tried something which he would do on a rear wheel drive that might have fixed the issue.
    He said the only thing to really fix it is to replace the rear axle and that could cost a grand to fix :(

He has advised to send it back in to retest and if it does fail again it will need the rear axle replaced.

Anyone ever come across this? Any idea?

Am I truly screwed on this?

The car drives perfectly and I would hate to have to scrap it but that is too much to sink into a 2008 car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can shim the stub axle to correct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

rejkin wrote: »
    I brought it to the mechanic and he said since it is a fixed axle there isn't much he can do on it as it is a front wheel drive...

The problem isn't that it's front wheel wheel drive, it's that it doesn't have independent rear suspension which are generally adjustable. Many small cars use torsion beams on the rear which have fixed geometry, but as colm_mcm says the alignment can be corrected with shims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Thanks for that, I've contacted the local mechanic about this and they haven't done anything like that before so i have another guy who is going to get it costed for me.

Do you guys know someone in Dublin/Kildare that could do it by any chance?

Thanks for the help!

Nissan LEAF suffers from the same issue and there is official Nissan shim kit for those and I suspect the same kit would work fine with a Note too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Sent the car back in on the weekend for retest based on advice from mechanic who said he tried his best to re align it but don't expect anything.

Passed fine, went from -22 to -11.

Don't have a clue what happened, car does drive fine though, handling is never a problem.

Happy days anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd be more suspicious of the test measurement accuracy than of the car (if nothing mechanical was done).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

rejkin wrote: »
    Sent the car back in on the weekend for retest based on advice from mechanic who said he tried his best to re align it but don't expect anything.

Had a similar problem with my Zafira, rear fixed axle slight forward on the LH side, wearing the tyres fairly rapidly on the front.

Put the car up on a lift and did a rough measurement between the front of the rear tyres and the body which showed a discrepancy. Decided to try and realign the axle ourselves, axle held with 8 bolts. Adjusted the rear axle until gap between body and tyres were approx. equal, replaced the 8 axle mounting bolts.

Did the NCT about a month later and was well within limits.

Your mechanic probably did similar.

Advertisement