Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making A Gate ....?

• 11-10-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

So; I'm making a gate. 'Garden Gate', effectively. It's to be hung between two ~ literal ~ fence posts. (Round things farmers use). Gate is to be 4" slats, screwed to a Z brace. 'Solid' gate. No spaces between slats.

There's an inch or two discrepancy, between the top and bottom spans. Wider at the bottom.

How may I get round this, please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what sort of hinges?
    you could hide some of it with a gate stop

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

you could hide some of it with a gate stop

:eek: Damn, That's a good idea! Thanks!

Hinges are 6" HS Galvanised Scotch T's.

Hmm. Three foot gate? 58" high? Bigger hinges, yeah? I somehow hadn't envisaged it getting this big :o

Will look bloody nice though! :D

have you figured out where the 2" error is in the posts.
    There are adjustable gate hinges also

I would go big with the hinges

Yeah. Left hand post. One I want to hang from. Just my luck!

I've been reading about hinges. six inchers are going straight back! :rolleyes:

Seen those adjustable ones too. (Dunno if they'll have them in town though) But; Wouldn't they just leave a massive gap on the lower left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Stigura wrote: »
    Yeah. Left hand post. One I want to hang from. Just my luck!

I've been reading about hinges. six inchers are going straight back! :rolleyes:

Seen those adjustable ones too. (Dunno if they'll have them in town though) But; Wouldn't they just leave a massive gap on the lower left?

Weld a bracket to the post behind the hinge. When you cannot see light through it then it kind of dissapears. Other option is to taper your slats slightly. Either all or a few to take up the difference

• Advertisement

Can't weld anything to a wooden post. But, I like the way ye thinking! Gate'll open towards me. So, I could indeed screw a bit of wood to the post behind.

Yeah. I like that a Lot! Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Taper slat nearest the non-plumb post to compensate as suggested by knipex. Easiest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thats a lot of weight to be hanging off a fence post. Is it stayed?

looksee wrote: »
    That's a lot of weight ...

:( Bugger. I was hoping nobody'd notice that. How might I do anything about it, please? Though, I would say, the post is well and truly deep into the ~ heavily stony ~ ground.

I soaked the bottom ends in old oil. Using a post driver as a vat. So that's, what? About two feet? And, they're in so far that no oiled end is showing. And they're in the grip of a Lot of rocks, down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?11612-Bracing-Fencing-straining-posts

Have a perusal of this thread Stigura. Might throw up some useful info

• Advertisement

Stroll on, Cletus! With not a single photo, that was like reading a thread written in hieroglyphics! :eek:

Good shout though. I'll have a word with my neighbour. He's a farmer and will know what to do :)

Thanks.

Untitled.jpg
    When I wake up ~ after several mugs of tea ~ I shall embark on the final stages of planning. Cutting. And Building my gate!

I've spent the last week or so slavoring FenceGuard over the bare timbers. (My god! Using that stuff, in a small room, is like opening a bread bin, to find there's well mouldy bread in there! The bang is breath taking!) So glad that's over!

Spoke to Pat, today. He's sanguine. Reckons some wire and a twisty, strainy thing he mentioned, and I recognised, but forgot to pick up (:rolleyes:) will do. Ye know the things? Two hooked, threaded bolts inside a Thing?

Bought a pair of foot long, galvy hinges, today. Not the industry standard, 'Half the width of the gate'. But, hells teeth! I've had 1 1/2" hinges holding a (about) 20" wide ~ granted, gapped slat ~ gate, used several times a day, for Years now. Still going fine.

Basically? I bought the biggest T Hinges the Creamery had; Without stepping into the realms of galvy 'Gate' hinges so hefty and solid, they'd weigh as much as the goddamn gate! :eek:

Just letting off a bit of steam here, lads. I'm Pumped! Getting this spot gated will mean So Much to me :)

"two hooked threaded bolts inside a thing"

Is it a turn buckle you're talking about? What will the other end be attached to

I imagine that'd be it? What ye do is ~ to my understanding ~ put a short post in, to one side of the main one. Attach strong wire to each and have this thing in the middle, to pull the wires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

you better post a picture of this gate once you are done.

Absolutely! :D I love taking photo's of what I get up to anyway. 'Lest We Forget' shots. Before and after.

Happens; Pat was here, minutes ago. I'd been looking at those stretcher things, on google. Forgotten the bloody name again, now! :mad: But, anyway, Pat reckons he has one and will fetch it down.

Seems ye get a wire around the top of the offending post. Other end goes to the Base of the next post. And stretch!

This is good. Because I've never yet felt right about putting this wood together. It's all soaked / stained to satisfaction now. Yet, I lay there, in bed, ruminating it in my mind. Never get up and start working on it.

Now, it's clear why, look :) I'd have made some kack handed thing. Square peg for a round hole. As it is? Get that post straightened and I just build a gate! Excellent! This is why I always like to go with my instincts.

Here we go, look; This is the spot I'm fencing off. I want to catch birds in there (I have the training and permits) so need to keep the Dogs out.

Balzac, there, is standing in the gateway. The silvery uprights, atop each post, will carry strands of plain fence wire. Just to discourage Dogs from thinking of jumping over the fence.

PA170424tn.jpg

The mesh / posts top out at 40". The verticals add 18". Gate will be 58" high. 35" wide. It'll also be braced in the correct direction. Unlike the back gate there :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Here we go, look; This is the spot I'm fencing off. I want to catch birds in there (I have the training and permits) so need to keep the Dogs out.

Balzac, there, is standing in the gateway. The silvery uprights, atop each post, will carry strands of plain fence wire. Just to discourage Dogs from thinking of jumping over the fence.

PA170424tn.jpg

The mesh / posts top out at 40". The verticals add 18". Gate will be 58" high. 35" wide. It'll also be braced in the correct direction. Unlike the back gate there :o

Forget about your slats. Just make the frame, brace it and fill with the same material you used for your fence. Much lighter, wont catch the wind and will keep the dog solves many of your problems.

That was my original plan. Then, I ran out of bloody mesh! :( Stuff costs a fortune too. Bloody great rolls. Bummer, eh?

Make the gate 40 inches and replicate the top wire side or use chicken wire.
    58" gate on 40 " uprights is asking for drama, especially if 80kg Balzac gets up to 25km/hr :D:D

• Advertisement

Make the gate 40 inches and replicate the top wire ...

Fair play. That's a good shout :)

Now ye mention it? It will take a lot of stress out, won't it? And, frankly? It'll just Look more 'normal'.

Nice one. I'll do that. Thanks.

:cool: Did ye think I'd died, or something?

Stigura (The Capable Of The Slow Burn) has finally got his head around, and his hands upon 'The Bit'. Seems it's actually called a " Turn Buckle "

PA220423tn.jpg

So; Tomorrows job ~ if I manage to google my way to enough you tube clips that they enable me to grasp and memorise the right, wire knotting, technique? I'll be bringing that post back to plumb :)

cletus wrote: »
    "two hooked threaded bolts inside a thing"

Is it a turn buckle you're talking about? What will the other end be attached to

:D:D:D

Bugger; Probably checked ye name for it on google, then forgot where I got the search term from :o Hell of a lot on my mind, just now.

:D * Glowing with a manly glow! * It's, at least, not peeing down today. So, I manned it up and got out there for a session. (Actually, the idea was to take the coil of fence wire out there. I like to do things in small steps ;))

Upshot? My errant gate post is now a dead plumb, 37"! Turn buckle did it's thing. I managed to sort the two wires out ~ eventually. All is now good.

For the record / anyone else considering trying this? I wrapped a wire round the top of the gate post. Measured off half way and a ton of spare. Tied the Ring to that one.

Then, tied a wire to the base of the next post along. Tried to figure where to tie a loop in that one. Got it wrong. Probably because I tried to use the Hook as my measure? Had to undo the tie and put a new, shorter loop in it.

Fiendishly hard work. Maybe if I'd taken more time. Focused and Really thought about the few inches I had to play with? It's a toss up between pulling that loop onto that hook. Or making the loop not so short that it's okay. But, ensuring the buckle can still tension enough.

Next job? Pull the square meshed fencing back across the fence post. Re staple (Taking care not to take liberties with that strained wire!) Then? I'm good to go!

To hell with the weather; I can then hunker down, in here, and put the wood together to form my gate :)

I was gonna hang it from the left post? Opening outwards. Sod that! Even I can see how stupid that would be! I'll hang from the right. I'm not putting a square yard + of timbers weight on that straining wire! I'm not That clueless! :pac:

To answer your question from here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111603397#post111603397

you need to strap something to the two wooden posts, full length

Else, replace the two posts with two lengths of steel pipe, eg scaffold pole, full height, concreted 600-700 mm into the ground and be done with it

:D Aching with every fibre of my being! Sat here, about to get amongst my Second, well earned beer!

I'm simply too shattered to even think about Ringing. But .....

Tomorrowtn.jpg

I have my favourite trapping corner back and safe again! :cool: (Please don't try this at home, kids. I'm trained and licensed!)

Doesn't look too shoddy either, methinks? Source that angle iron. Replace those top wires. Should be pretty cool :)

PA270425tn.jpg

What's that ye say? Small, crafty sniff of Jameson could be in order?

Well; It is Sunday ..... :P Slainte!

Advertisement