Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden shed

Options
  • 16-10-2019 8:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi

Apologies, I know nothing about garden sheds.
    Moving to a new build semi d. Lawn area is relatively small. Lawn area is all grass at the moment.

Need a garden shed. Purpose will be to keep bikes and tools. So a small
    One will do. Wondering if I should go wood or steel shed. Which is better?

Do they need a special base done?

Any rough bal park costs for a shed like this?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Steel will need a concrete base poured. Wooden doesn't anything other than a relatively flat site and some blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I posted about mine here.
    Its a 3 m by 2m still shed, cost 2,000 euro.
    I dug out for the base and prepped the formwork and paid guys 350 euro to pour the slab, it was on a slope so a bit more concrete the usual: c 2.5 cubic meters

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

I posted about mine here.
    Its a 3 m by 2m still shed, cost 2,000 euro.
    I dug out for the base and prepped the formwork and paid guys 350 euro to pour the slab, it was on a slope so a bit more concrete the usual: c 2.5 cubic meters

Jaysus. 2000 euro. Didn’t think be that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

The installers will bring a few concrete blocks with them to mount it up on.
    Dont worry about it, unless you are building your own.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

awec wrote: »
    Steel will need a concrete base poured. Wooden doesn't anything other than a relatively flat site and some blocks.

Is it ok to use existing pavers as a shed base for a metal shed without a floor? Can it be placed directly on the pavers or is there anything else that would need to be done.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    Is it ok to use existing pavers as a shed base for a metal shed without a floor? Can it be placed directly on the pavers or is there anything else that would need to be done.
    It need to be fixed for wind load, hence the slab
    It also need to be pretty level, especially of it has proper windows and door as it will distort if uneven and some of the joints wont be rain proof

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

It need to be fixed for wind load, hence the slab
    It also need to be pretty level, especially of it has proper windows and door as it will distort if uneven and some of the joints wont be rain proof

It's very sheltered so not worried about wind but will make sure it's fixed to the pavers securely. It's also reasonably level so not worried about that either.
    The only thing I'm really worried about is moisture rising from the ground and the contents of the shed rusting or rotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

whizbang wrote: »

You should confirm in advance exactly what will happen on the day...

The above was not the case with me and it turned stressful pretty quickly.

Which shed better, wood or steel? Presume steel?

aido79 wrote: »
    It's very sheltered so not worried about wind but will make sure it's fixed to the pavers securely. It's also reasonably level so not worried about that either.
    The only thing I'm really worried about is moisture rising from the ground and the contents of the shed rusting or rotting.

I added a timber floor on two layers of radon barrier: the details are posted elsewhere under its own thread.
    They may not fit it to the pavers for liability reasons so you need to check

• Advertisement

Depends on the budget

whizbang wrote: »

I checked with a few companies when getting our shed, none of them provided the blocks for foundations.

OP for context I have an 8ft x 10ft pressure treated shed, cost was ~1300 euro. If you don't get pressure treated the cost drops a good bit.

Steel will last longer, wood tends to look better.

Steel is a bit harder to put shelving etc on inside. Don't think it would take the same weight as wooden.

Depends on the budget

In general though, which is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another option is a plastic shed. They are OK if you bother to look after them and by that I mean make sure you shut the door each time you use it because the wind will take the doors off. Neighbor got a second hand one and its surprisingly good. https://www.keter.com/en/sheds-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

As carpenter I would put concrete blocks which will help put wooden shed floor above ground level what will create reasonable ventilation gap which will help me protect wood (floor/frame ) from wetness of the ground.The heavier the building the stronger foundation has to be.Shed for bikes/tools is not so heavy to build concrete foundation for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

awec wrote: »
    Steel will last longer.
    Regulary painted wood will also last long.There is plenty wooden houses on North.The problem with metal is if metal got rust it will be a lot harder paint it after.The metal will get hot in hot weather and transfer frost during the frosty weather what will create wetness inside.For that reason need extra insulation or shed built from insulated metal panels what gona cost big money.

Advertisement