Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tarrif is my meter on, do I have an option ?

Options
  • 16-10-2019 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

I've moved to a new house and I'm trying to figure out what supplier to use for electricity. Comparing the different suppliers I see they all list 2 different tarrifs which may be relevant to me:
    1. 24 hour urban
    2. Day and Night
    So, what's the deal with these ? Do I have an option to choose which tarrif I would prefer or is the tarrif determined by the type of meter that is already in place, eg if you have a 'Day&Night' meter you are stuck on that tarrif.

Thanks,

Zozo.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Check out bonkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Changing to dual tariff is free but changing to single tariff there is a charge.

If you have a mechanical meter ESB will need to change it and will probably install a smart meter at this stage.

If you have the more recent digital iskra meters they don't need to replace it to change your tariff.

The standing charge and day kwh are slightly higher on the dual tarriff so you need to move at least 2kwh from day to night to cover the difference which isn't hard at all if you run washing machine, dryer, dishwasher at night. If you use immersion and / or electric heaters in the night period dual tariff is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

Changing to dual tariff is free but changing to single tariff there is a charge.

Okay, but its still not clear how I figure out what tariff my meter is currently on. See attached photo, it records day and night units and overall 24hour units so it could be either ? If I switch to random provider how do I know what tariff I'll be on , day/night or 24hour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

ZoZoZo wrote:
    Okay, but its still not clear how I figure out what tariff my meter is currently on. See attached photo, it records day and night units and overall 24hour units so it could be either ? If I switch to random provider how do I know what tariff I'll be on , day/night or 24hour ?

Your bill should show all the info you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Your bill should show all the info you are looking for.

I have moved house, the bill isn't in my name yet and I'm trying to figure out which supplier to go with, but I can't do that until I know what tarrif the bill is currently on and what it will cost to switch if switching tarrif is an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you have the MPRN just call ESB networks and they should know as they read the meter

Advertisement