Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alberto Salazar banned for 4 years

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mo is getting the usual raw deal here.

He was a sub 13 minutes 5000 runner pre Salazar and NOP. That is not an also-ran. That is elite class running. I think his medal successes is what get people more than anything, and without checking, I don't believe any global golds at 5000 that he won when with NOP were better than 12:57 for 5000...a PB he had before he went to NOP. His world golds and Olympic golds were not some extraordinary times.

Yes, he made improvements (across distances) when he went to NOP, as did others, and as did Hassan...so, he is no different than her. Both immensely talented natural athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

and both coached by a cheat, ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

walshb wrote: »
    Mo is getting the usual raw deal here.

He was a sub 13 minutes 5000 runner pre Salazar and NOP. That is not an also-ran. That is elite class running. I think his medal successes is what get people more than anything, and without checking, I don't believe any global golds at 5000 that he won when with NOP were better than 12:57 for 5000...a PB he had before he went to NOP. His world golds and Olympic golds were not some extraordinary times.

Yes, he made improvements (across distances) when he went to NOP, as did others, and as did Hassan...so, he is no different than her. Both immensely talented natural athletes.

Farah could probably have run mid 12:40s but he wasn't motivated by chasing times so we will never know. What we do know is that in the 2009 World final he was there at the bell and he closed in 56 and got blown away. 2 years later he was closing in 52/53. That's a huge transformation. Sure when Mo ran that 12:57 pre Salazar he was blown away by a good few competitors (he was around 5th or 6th from memory in that race).

IvoryTower wrote: »
    and both coached by a cheat, ah well

By your logic Kara Goucher is also a cheat, one of the big whistleblowers on Salazar.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Farah could probably have run mid 12:40s but he wasn't motivated by chasing times so we will never know. What we do know is that in the 2009 World final he was there at the bell and he closed in 56 and got blown away. 2 years later he was closing in 52/53. That's a huge transformation. Sure when Mo ran that 12:57 pre Salazar he was blown away by a good few competitors (he was around 5th or 6th from memory in that race).

You are picking bits here and there in races.

Fact is that he ran a 12:57 pre Salazar........that is not an also-ran. That is elite running...

He was 26/27 or so when he ran that sub 13 minutes PB....

• Advertisement

By your logic Kara Goucher is also a cheat, one of the big whistleblowers on Salazar.

I definitely assume anyone training under a cheat is likely cheating. Literally any red flags and i'm pretty much done. I don't even think bolt was clean as much as id love to.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I definitely assume anyone training under a cheat is likely cheating. Literally any red flags and i'm pretty much done. I don't even think bolt was clean as much as id love to.

Hope you apply the same cynicism to soccer, a sport with higher reward and lower risk of getting caught, and hired doctors on clubs' books.

Ditto Rugby World Cup.

Hope you apply the same cynicism to soccer, a sport with higher reward and lower risk of getting caught, and hired doctors on clubs' books.

Ditto Rugby World Cup.

Oh I definitely do. It makes me happy that they're at least trying to catch the cheats in Athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Ditto Rugby World Cup.

Hope there are no Man City, Barca or Real Madrid fans around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Ditto Rugby World Cup.

All sports are the same. It's just human nature.

If only the Spanish legal system wasn't so compromised we might have got some more names and proof rather than just more smoke from Fuentes.

I'm just amazed that do many people out there don't realise how sport works TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

KSU wrote: »

Or Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Doubts about all his athletes. Farah been in the shower and not hearing the testers
    Give me a break.

Come on now. It was a dodgy doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hehe, yeah cos it only affects the top 3 or 4 clubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy, imagine you're a struggling young pro and you're only barely getting into the first team panel. You play in a mid table team in any country in Europe. Your agent/physio/whatever tells you that if you take X you'll be a little stronger, will recover quicker and be able to train through that ankle niggle............. And as a result be able to continue being a Pro footballer earning 20 Grand a month as opposed to the fella who didn't make the cut and is now working in a local gym taking home 1,200 a month.

What do you do? How many in that position would give X a try?

As someone above said; It's human nature. It suits the news media that only some sports are in the spotlight.

Or Liverpool.

Used them as an example due to association with convicted dopers rather than speculation but you are right completely forgot about the Sakho case
    Itziger wrote: »
    Hehe, yeah cos it only affects the top 3 or 4 clubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy, imagine you're a struggling young pro and you're only barely getting into the first team panel. You play in a mid table team in any country in Europe. Your agent/physio/whatever tells you that if you take X you'll be a little stronger, will recover quicker and be able to train through that ankle niggle............. And as a result be able to continue being a Pro footballer earning 20 Grand a month as opposed to the fella who didn't make the cut and is now working in a local gym taking home 1,200 a month.

What do you do? How many in that position would give X a try?

As someone above said; It's human nature. It suits the news media that only some sports are in the spotlight.

As mentioned I used those as an example due to the coach and doctors associated being convicted in case anyone was stating it was just wild speculation.

Used them as an example due to association with convicted dopers rather than speculation but you are right completely forgot about the Sakho case.

Just an Everton fan, thats all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Used them as an example due to association with convicted dopers rather than speculation but you are right completely forgot about the Sakho case

As mentioned I used those as an example due to the coach and doctors associated being convicted in case anyone was stating it was just wild speculation.

Well the Sakho case turned out to be nothing. He technically did nothing wrong and he was banned for something that wasn't illegal.*

*Not a Liverpool fan

Weepsie wrote: »
    Well the Sakho case turned out to be nothing. He technically did nothing wrong and he was banned for something that wasn't illegal.*

*Not a Liverpool fan

That's not actually true

He was banned for a B2‑agonists ,this is correct and a number of people have been banned for this. What was argued was that the substance was not specifically mentioned other than as the grouping. It has been part of the prohibited list for the past 15 years.

The only thing that has changed is that it is now expressively mentioned on the prohiited list.

*Not a Liverpool fan

Klopp obviously disagreed with you, as he got rid of him because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

*Not a Liverpool fan

It was banned because it is used to stop other things showing up in a test as far as I remember.

Klopp got rid of him because of his attitude as far as I remember. I think PSG (or whoever he was with) did the same when he was a young lad. Didn’t think he had to show up on time etc.

That’s the amazing thing about Klopps management. He takes also rans and castaways and turns them into winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

<mod>Since the discussion has shifted to football I think the thread has run its course.</mod>

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement