Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurcher/collie with cats query

Options
  • 07-10-2019 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are due to take home a lurcher/collie cross this week, but when we were confirming things with the rescue today the woman brought up the issue with cats.

We have two cats (both about 10, one who is chilled out and the other who believes in the phrase "no surrender") and we had a dog who passed at Christmas.

The dog has been cat tested twice and she passed both times because it turns out she's scared of cats (which they said is ideal as it means she'll keep away) but now the adoption lady has said it isn't indicative as to how she'll react around cats later.

Does anyone have experience with this? We had her on walks etc on a trail around the rescue and she showed no interest in birds etc - just wanted to be friends with the other dogs!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah good on ya for adopting a lurcher!
    There are a couple of golden rules when it comes to introducing a new dog to a home with cats. First of all, the dog should not, ever, get a chance to chase or lunge at your cats in the opening few weeks. These initial interactions will shape their future relationship, so as long as the dog's first impressions don't include that "these yokes are chasey toys", you should be fine. Keep the dog on lead, and preferably don't bring dog in on top of the cats (they might run off in fright, prompting a chase), rather let the cats come into the room where you have the dog on-lead. Then start the major positive reinforcement described below.
    Secondly, the cats should always, always have several escape routes, whether they need it or not... high, jumpy-uppy places, or baby gates set high enough for the cats to get under, but the dog can't. I'd keep these in situ forever, just in case at some point, the dog's prey drive gets switched on unexpectedly.
    It's hard to beat keeping the dog on-lead around the cats, lots of brief intros during which you shovel nice food treats into the dog (and cats, if they'll take treats), gradually extending the duration of exposures. Keep it all really chilled out and don't make a deal of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

agree with all of DBBs comments. Having introducted 2 ex-feral cats to a house with 2 jack russell terriers successfully - 1 cat is at this moment washing herself on the sofa beside me squashing 1 terrier up against the sofa arm :) definitely the important thing is that the dog is on leash when meeting the cats. Keep it all very casual and calm - no DONT TOUCH THE CAT type reactions! As mentioned, dog on leash, doors in the room all open - let the cat lead the pace - if the dog looks like its going to lunge, distract with a toy of a tasty treat - praise dog constantly. Make the arrival of the cat into the room a non-event if possible, but if necessary make it a 'good' experience with treats and lots of attention (to do) - my friends lurcher uses her cats as hot water bottles, so fingers crossed your lurcher will be fine too. Lurchers are BRILLIANT! A photo would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Hi I’m 3 months in with our rescue lurcher and I have 2 cats.
    The first week was a bit iffy. She never actually lunged or growled at them but was very interested and would whine and sniff around them. Now she pretty much ignores them unless they are running around or are somewhere they usually aren’t then she really wants to get involved.
    For the first week anytime they were together she was on a leash but picked up the leave command pretty quick. Still not comfortable leaving them alone together for long though so when we are out they are separated.
    We have a had an issue with the fluffy one swiping at dog and trying to play with her tail but she holds up well.
    Cats outside on her walks are a different issue she wants to chase them so bad but we are very firm with that.
    You will know pretty soon if it’s going to work. I hope it does. They are just wonderful dogs. Feels like she has been here forever and is the most low maintenance dog ever

Advertisement