Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

're struck

Options
  • 01-10-2019 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello was wondering if this old coin I think it's George I and a square of lead both stamped with I.S were payment for military service .Could I.S stand for Ireland south.any info greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There was no such thing as 'Ireland South' at the time of George I. He reigned from 1714 (death of Queen Anne) to 1727 (his death) and was the first of the Hanoverians. The concept of Ireland divided into north and south didn't happen until the treaty in 1921.

I'm puzzled as to why you call the dark object a coin, what's on the other side? It should have the monarch's head on one side if it's a coin. Otherwise (if it had any street value at the time), it's a token of some kind. Which would have limited the places where it could been exchanged for goods because (unlike a coin) it was not legal tender.

Advertisement