Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Clare to Dublin: Recommendations

Options
  • 06-08-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

This is a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ post but just trying to put the feelers out more than anything.

We are recently engaged and have started trying to get an idea of venues. We live in Dublin, he’s from Clare and I’m from Dublin so we would like to either get married in Clare or somewhere that’s between (or in and around) Clare and Dublin.

We’ve been to a lot of weddings over the years and ideally prefer the idea of something a bit different if possible... cliché, I know. We approximate there’ll be about 150 guests. We’ve been to weddings in Cloughjordan House & Ballymagarvey, which we loved but are very pricey affairs. While in the West we’ve been to the likes of Hotel Doolin and the Woodlands in Adare, which were fab too and so chilled, but we would likely avoid these as very close friends had their weddings there recently.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places they’ve been to weddings in the vincity of these counties that sound like they would suit those styles of wedding? While also having the relaxed vibe we’re looking for while at the same time not needing to remortgage our house :D

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yay wedding planning!

Are you thinking hotel, country house or other for the venue? Any ideas at all of a price per head that would be a maximum? And would you want to get married at the venue or off-site?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Faith wrote: »
    Yay wedding planning!
    how exciting! Was reading back on old posts between us from the start and it feels surreal :o
    Are you thinking hotel, country house or other for the venue? Any ideas at all of a price per head that would be a maximum? And would you want to get married at the venue or off-site?

We are open to anything but would prefer a country house style venue over hotel. Under €100 a head all in. Would definitely prefer to do it all in the one place so on site preferably! Really loved Mount Druid but it’s really a deal breaker for our guests to not have electricity in the places they stay so that’s off the cards now.

We were reading back on older threads here last night and got some inspiration but so hard to know how expensive these places are. Don’t want to just write places off because they look expensive but also the few places I’ve emailed wont send me prices either. They want us to go view the place and discuss it there. And undoubtedly give us the hard sell face to face. I don’t want to travel somewhere which could be on the other side of the country only to be told the price and it’s way over budget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We’ve come a long way in the past 10 years! :eek:

It’s really frustrating that places won’t give you price ranges, but I’d be firm with them. Say you’d love to visit, but you have no intention of doing so unless you know it’s within your budget, and can they please give you their packages ranges before you can go any further with them. You’re the customer here!

When you say Clare, am I right in thinking it’s more the limerick side than, say, Doolin? So unless it’s either very local to his town or Dublin, then all your guests will have to travel. That kind of means the whole country is your oyster, not that that helps narrow things down :D

I have no idea about prices, nor about whether it suits geographically, but Kilshane House in Tipperary is supposed to be lovely. Alternatively, I’ve been to a lovely wedding in Tinakilly House in Wicklow (which is, at a stretch, somewhere you could get a cab back into Dublin from - at least, I know someone who did that). Castle Durrow in Laois is lovely too, although I suspect it’s above the €100 per head mark :/.

Oh actually kilshane came up yesterday with someone else too so I must check that out!

Yeah I’ve been trying to put my foot down with some places but I’m surprised at how how little leeway there is with some of them. One place has just ignored my last two emails now... which has kinda of made the decision about it for us :D

Tinnakilly is beautiful but a very close friend is getting married there in Feb :)

I came across Kippure Estate last night, looks like right our street so will check that out too.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Bellinter House in Meath? Its a bit alternative decor wise but I really liked it.

Again maybe the location wouldnt be ideal but I also think Truddor Lodge in Wicklow looks amazing.

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    Bellinter House in Meath? Its a bit alternative decor wise but I really liked it.

Again maybe the location wouldnt be ideal but I also think Truddor Lodge in Wicklow looks amazing.

Thanks SozBbz! You’re a star, we’ve booked Bellinter! The website doesn’t do it justice, the decor is exactly to our taste :) thanks for much for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thanks SozBbz! You’re a star, we’ve booked Bellinter! The website doesn’t do it justice, the decor is exactly to our taste :) thanks for much for the recommendation!

Aw so delighted for you! I know its not to everyones taste but I LOVED it there, such a nice size and a great blend of traditional and unique!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Hurray for booking your venue!
    Just for anyone reading the thread, Kilshane House is most definitely not under €100 a head!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

pooch90 wrote: »
    Hurray for booking your venue!
    Just for anyone reading the thread, Kilshane House is most definitely not under €100 a head!

Ah you might scrape in at €100 a head on a Monday morning in November?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

jlm29 wrote: »
    Ah you might scrape in at €100 a head on a Monday morning in November?

With no drinks reception or afters food ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
Advertisement