Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing own wedding dress

Options
  • 03-09-2019 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I’m leaning towards designing my own dress as I have a very clear idea of what I would like
    Looking for advice from anyone who has done this.. was it much more expensive? How long was the whole process? Any designer recommendations?
    I’m based in Dublin :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

katie275 wrote: »
    I’m leaning towards designing my own dress as I have a very clear idea of what I would like
    Looking for advice from anyone who has done this.. was it much more expensive? How long was the whole process? Any designer recommendations?
    I’m based in Dublin :-)

I'm the exact same! Am totally clueless when it comes to this however I've booked an appointment with Roisin Cross Silks to discuss and see if they can do me up a mock and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

I'm going to check out Sharon Hoey and possibly Sarah Foy aswell :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Expense depends on the fabric used and also the amount of detail.

A simple sheath style in an non-beaded fabric should be easy to make and fairly reasonably priced, but once you start adding corset, lace, hand stitching such as beads the obviously the cost will be more as it becomes more labour intensive.

Before you make something though, go to a shop and try on a dress that's as close to the style you are thinking of just to see if it suits. If it doesn't really, then try on all sorts to find the shape and shade that suits you (have a friend who's adept at taking stealth photos and remembering designers and style numbers etc so you can google pictures etc to take to a dressmaker)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

Ended up going with Tamem Michael in Ballymount. Paula there is fantastic! I showed her pictures of what I wanted, she tried a few dresses in similar shapes / style to see if it suited me. I was able to choose the fabric and lace I wanted. She was very honest about what would and wouldn't work. It's exciting being so involved in the dress making process! I'd definitely recommend them for anyone thinking of doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭foodie86

Hi just wondering what a ballpark cost is for getting a dress made up?
    Thinking of going down this route as I have a clear idea of what I would like but cant did it in stores.

Also how long does this process take on average.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement